A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Yep. And they're scattered all over so it'll be hard to pick it up. And the worst part is, we'll be forced to do Hawaii all over again.

Oh, you poor thing.

I had no idea "freshman" wasn't a common term.

It is a common term. I've heard it forever... just don't know what year it is.

"He's a sophomore."

Huh?

So, yes...she just finished Grade 9. Three more years until we're incurring more massive debt.

Yep.

Makes perfect sense. Our school schedules screw that up even more. We often go back earlier in August. They pushed it back to August 28 this year, so we scheduled our road trip for mid-August. Now her field hockey coach is annoyed with us because they're allowed to start practice on Aug. 15 and we won't be around. :sad2:

Tough.

I figure, tough cookies. They've squeezed summer down to 2 months as it is. We're taking a break. Deal with it.

Exactly my thought.

I don't have to sit next to somebody dressed up as Chewbacca.

But in a cold theatre, that can be a good thing.

Awwww...:lovestruc

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me!

Phew! Thanks!

Good idea. I priced a Disney cruise out just for fun the other day and for 2 inside staterooms it was $10,000. :scared1::faint:

Pick another cruise line, dude. I know my co-worker didn't do Disney.

Hope you enjoyed it!

::yes::

Hope you enjoyed it!

Very much so! And thanks for the tip!

Hope you enjoyed it!

So...where will you be, exactly? I will be in Des Moines, Iowa for the first part of the week at a work conference.

Just down to Minneapolis for a couple days.

Well, NOW you tell me!

I didn't know, then!

So are the rest of 'em!

I should take that list and look for the one's I haven't read.

I also like David Baldacci (sp?) and right now I'm reading Louise Penny. She's good and for me, I like that she writes all her stories with a Quebec setting.

I didn't expect The Martian to be as hilarious as it was. Thought they did a decent job with the movie, too.

::yes:: Agreed!

And 11/22/63...that book was my favorite kind of story--it had a little bit of everything. 800 pages long, and I didn't want it to end.

Yes! I picked it up and... "I'll never get through this."

I couldn't put it down. Actually, I just saw it again in my library yesterday. I'll be reading it again soon. I have 2-3 other books I need to finish first.

It's supposed to be a good one!

Two words and one short sentence.
Whale sharks.

And you can scuba dive with them.

UPDATED Plan for Southern Road Trip

So I've refined the itinerary a bit and made a few changes based on feedback here and from my family. We've also added a day to keep the end from being too crazy of a drive. And it seems many of you were onto my clever method of hiding certain details, so I'll reveal them here too. Changes are in BOLD.

Day 1: Driving all day to my uncle’s place in Virginia. Carefully park the van and put the children gently to bed for the evening there.

Day 2: Hiking/shooting stuff, as my uncle likes to do. Then drive to Cherokee, North Carolina.

Day 3: Great Smoky Mountains National Park, followed by Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Day 4: Stop at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, Georgia. This is the home of The General, which featured in The Great Locomotive Chase, one of the great Civil War stories of our time (and made into a Disney movie starring Fess Parker). If you don't know the story...I'll save it for the TR. Visiting the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta in the afternoon. Still undecided on doing World of Coca-Cola or CNN Studios tours.

Day 5: MLK National Historic Site in the morning. Then driving west to Arkansas, with a stop for BBQ in Memphis.

Day 6: Hot Springs National Park, followed by Crater of Diamonds State Park and a quick hop across the border to cross off Oklahoma. Sorry, Oklahoma. Spending the night in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Day 7: Vicksburg battlefield (Mississippi), then New Orleans (hopefully visit N.O. Jazz National Historic Site).

Day 8: Thought about more New Orleans here (WWII Museum), but instead we’re managing long drives over the next two days. Stopping near Pensacola, Florida for Gulf Islands National Seashore, finishing the night in Tallahassee, Florida.

Day 9: Driving all day to W. Palm Beach, Florida. Possible stop for lunch at Universal Studios Citywalk, just to scout the place out for a future visit. :rolleyes1

Day 10: Everglades National Park and Biscayne Bay National Park, returning to W. Palm Beach.

Day 11: Kennedy Space Center, followed by a short stay in Fort Wilderness in the cabins. We'll introduce Drew to the monorail and have dinner at O'hana (first time for us).

Day 12: Take a break from driving and heat with a day at Typhoon Lagoon. Dinner at Art Smith's Homecomin' in Disney Springs.

Day 13: Driving all day to Fort Mill, SC. Possible DIS meet(s) happening.

Day 14: Rob (@GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes ) talked me into a stop in the morning at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in the town of Spencer. Visiting Petersburg battlefield (Virginia) in the afternoon.

Day 15: Carefully driving home, following all driver safety rules and posted speed limits. Stop at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air & Space Museum on the way back.

I'm not familiar with that word.

I know, and I'm sorry.

All right! "Mark said it was okay to leap over the pews and light up a hibachi."

Anarchy! Anarchy!

And we'll be here.

:goodvibes

You were playing?

I set it up, you hit the spike.

It is a common term. I've heard it forever... just don't know what year it is.

"He's a sophomore."

Huh?

And there you set up a movie quote:

What day is it? What date?

What YEAR?!?!?!

But in a cold theatre, that can be a good thing.

I'll just bring a sweatshirt.

Pick another cruise line, dude. I know my co-worker didn't do Disney.

Yeah, that seems to be the only option if I'm cruising. The other option is to fly into Anchorage and explore on the ground. Which could work. I think I might have a couple of frequent flier tickets to cash in by then.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Just down to Minneapolis for a couple days.

Dang.

I should take that list and look for the one's I haven't read.

I also like David Baldacci (sp?) and right now I'm reading Louise Penny. She's good and for me, I like that she writes all her stories with a Quebec setting.

I've read a couple of Baldacci's books, but several years ago. I have not heard of Louise Penny...I'll have to check her out. Always on the lookout for my next favorite book.

I don't know if you've read Unbroken--it's nonfiction, but written so well it reads like a novel. And an incredible story. I actually have an extra copy I'd be happy to send to you if you're interested.

Yes! I picked it up and... "I'll never get through this."

I couldn't put it down. Actually, I just saw it again in my library yesterday. I'll be reading it again soon. I have 2-3 other books I need to finish first.

Good idea. I really want to re-visit that one, too.

Two words and one short sentence.
Whale sharks.

And you can scuba dive with them.

Definitely looking forward to seeing them! And with the scuba note, I suddenly understand why it's on the bucket list for you. I'll have to try and get some good photos.

Stop at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, Georgia. This is the home of The General, which featured in The Great Locomotive Chase, one of the great Civil War stories of our time (and made into a Disney movie starring Fess Parker). If you don't know the story...I'll save it for the TR.

Oh, didn't even think about that museum and I've been there! We visited the museum because my brother (visiting from PA) loves museums and wanted to go. I had no idea the Disney movie even existed until we saw The General display. I ended up paying the exorbitant price the gift shop was charging for the DVD version of the movie and we watched it later that night. Just be prepared for the gift shop, it is a nice one with lots and lots of train toys. :rotfl2:

Ok, the newest iteration of the BFP looks really nice! So glad we can count on you to drive carefully. So glad you can enjoy the Bubble and well, I'm pretty happy for you with your choices. I've never taken time out to do the Water Park thing, so am looking forward to your take on that. The museum lineup looks fantastic as well... Keep on truckin'!

UPDATED Plan for Southern Road Trip

So I've refined the itinerary a bit and made a few changes based on feedback here and from my family.
I sense that there has been a lot of influence here from some very questionable sources.

We've also added a day to keep the end from being too crazy of a drive.
That would have been a long hard slog.
Good that you had the extra resources to add the time.

Day 1: Driving all day to my uncle’s place in Virginia. Carefully park the van and put the children gently to bed for the evening there.
Likely story…

Day 9: Driving all day to W. Palm Beach, Florida. Possible stop for lunch at Universal Studios Citywalk, just to scout the place out for a future visit. :rolleyes1
So close and yet so far for at least one young’en.

Day 11: Kennedy Space Center, followed by a short stay in Fort Wilderness in the cabins. We'll introduce Drew to the monorail and have dinner at O'hana (first time for us).
First time at O'hana you say…
I’ll be interested in hearing your take on it.

Day 12: Take a break from driving and heat with a day at Typhoon Lagoon. Dinner at Art Smith's Homecomin' in Disney Springs.
Solid non-park choices.
Art’s is on our list as well, but it may be a bit before we get there.

Are you sure this is wise?
(although it is entirely appropriate for day-13 of a trip)

Day 14: Rob (@GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes ) talked me into a stop in the morning at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in the town of Spencer. Visiting Petersburg battlefield (Virginia) in the afternoon.
Let us hope I’ve not steered you wrong here.

Oh, and whatever you do, for the love of all that is decent and good in the world, do NOT stay the night at the Petersburg Quality Inn. You have been warned.

Day 15: Carefully driving home, following all driver safety rules and posted speed limits. Stop at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air & Space Museum on the way back.
Carefully driving in the DC area isn’t possible.
Defensively driving in the DC area…
that’s about as good as you can do.

Oh, but you pick up two shuttle sighting’s in one trip.
Most excellent.

Well, my current idea is to fly into either Seattle or Portland. I definitely want to try and get to several National Parks
I actually asked about this for fairly selfish reasons (imagine that). I think I’ve mentioned that I have kin out that way; specifically in Kingston WA. Our current circumstances will have us very likely headed out there to see them as soon as next May. That being the case and being as the airfare has already been covered (long story) I’m considering adding a road trip into the middle part of the outing and inviting my hosts to come along.

We’ll probably only have maybe five-ish days available in that trip for extra traveling so it won’t be as grand as your loops usually are. We kind’a have a specific direction and a specific ultimate destination in mind, but I’ve come to trust your instincts on places to see and was curious to hear the possible loop and note which spots might work for us as well.

That being said (and you know I’m incapable of not throwing wrenches out there and mucking up the works) le’me ask a few things…

Olympic, Mt. Rainier, North Cascades, Glacier. I also want to include Mt. St. Helens and the Columbia River Gorge. I also have the crazy idea to try and include Crater Lake and Redwood NP. The only problem there is that it would include a good deal of backtracking, which I always hate to do.
Nice list…

Glacier is the linchpin in that scenario. If you do that one, then the stuff in OR and northern CA gets a mite impractical. If you go south then getting back up to MT becomes tough. I’ve thought about Glacier as well but I’m not sure I can get that in without taking too much time away from what ought to be our primary destination.

What part of Olympic did you have in mind?
If it’s as far north as the Port Angeles area then I’ll mention that there is a morning ferry boat from there to Victoria, Canada (capital of BC) that returns in the evening. That’d be another way of picking up a little bit of Canada.
Or…
From Victoria head N.E. and there’s another ferry that heads over to Vancouver and from there you could take the scenic route through Canada toward Glacier NP.
Is this practical? Of course not…
but it is a thought.

Next question…
Where about’s along the Columbia River Gorge were you thinking of stopping off.
That area may well be a viable option for our return loop but I may have to limit it to a couple of fairly close together sites.

Well, better than leaving them in the car all night I suppose. Although the way Drew sleeps, you might rather leave him in the car, he'll have more room to move around...

Possible stop for lunch at Universal Studios Citywalk, just to scout the place out for a future visit.
At least you can soak in some of the atmosphere...and they have gift shops there too...
I've read good things about Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. I would probably try to get there on my next visit.

I've read multiple rave reviews about Homecomin' (not Homecoming, mind you). It should be a good meal.

Day 4: Stop at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, Georgia. This is the home of The General, which featured in The Great Locomotive Chase, one of the great Civil War stories of our time (and made into a Disney movie starring Fess Parker). If you don't know the story...I'll save it for the TR. Visiting the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta in the afternoon. Still undecided on doing World of Coca-Cola or CNN Studios tours.

I'm sure that it is also the basis for this Buster Keaton movie which contains the single most-expensive scene of the silent film era.

Hey, that's like riding a ride without paying for a park ticket!

Be sure to tell your server that Ohana means "family". She'll be impressed by your breadth of knowledge.

Nice! Make sure you find the Crush 'n' Gusher, it's great!

Anarchy! Anarchy!

I thought it was Attica! Attica!

I set it up, you hit the spike.

And there you set up a movie quote:

What day is it? What date?

What YEAR?!?!?!

I wonder how many movies have similar lines.

Yeah, that seems to be the only option if I'm cruising. The other option is to fly into Anchorage and explore on the ground. Which could work. I think I might have a couple of frequent flier tickets to cash in by then.

That might not be a bad option at all, then!

Honestly, if I was by myself, I'd do it.
But I ain't.
So I ain't.

I don't know if you've read Unbroken--it's nonfiction, but written so well it reads like a novel. And an incredible story. I actually have an extra copy I'd be happy to send to you if you're interested.

Hmm... Ah! I was wondering (thanks google!) why that sounded familiar.
No I haven't read it.
I'll see if I can find it here at the library or just buy it.
Thanks for the offer, but I suspect shipping it would be cost-prohibitive.
Sending a few bars of chocolates to the States usually runs me $25 - 30.

Definitely looking forward to seeing them! And with the scuba note, I suddenly understand why it's on the bucket list for you. I'll have to try and get some good photos.

Yes! do that!

Easy. I'll look at the admission prices.

:laughing: Yeah, that would do it!

Oh, didn't even think about that museum and I've been there! We visited the museum because my brother (visiting from PA) loves museums and wanted to go. I had no idea the Disney movie even existed until we saw The General display. I ended up paying the exorbitant price the gift shop was charging for the DVD version of the movie and we watched it later that night. Just be prepared for the gift shop, it is a nice one with lots and lots of train toys. :rotfl2:

I've never seen the movie...but I'd like to. Glenn also mentioned that Buster Keaton's famous silent film "The General" is also based on the story, but I think he took a lot of liberties to turn it into a comedy. It's supposed to be a classic, though.

Sounds like we will need to take out a second mortgage for the gift shop! :rotfl:

Ok, the newest iteration of the BFP looks really nice! So glad we can count on you to drive carefully. So glad you can enjoy the Bubble and well, I'm pretty happy for you with your choices. I've never taken time out to do the Water Park thing, so am looking forward to your take on that. The museum lineup looks fantastic as well... Keep on truckin'!

This is going to be a ton of driving. Our poor minivan...I hope it holds up!

We did Typhoon Lagoon as part of our "surprise" trip in 2012 B.D. (Before Drew). Had a great time there, especially with the Crush 'n Gusher. It's a good way to have fun if you don't quite have the funding to do a week at the theme parks. A taste of Disney is better than none at all!

We also feel like Drew needs a little more "seasoning" before doing a full week at the parks. So next year for that. This year we can whet his appetite. He'll be excited about the monorail.

I sense that there has been a lot of influence here from some very questionable sources.

Story of my life.

That would have been a long hard slog.
Good that you had the extra resources to add the time.

Yes! I hadn't put in the leave request yet, so I should be ok there. I think we needed to break up that drive back. For all of our sanity.

So close and yet so far for at least one young’en.

Yep...but I'm sure there are plenty of Harry Potter items in the Citywalk gift shop to help tide her over.

First time at O'hana you say…
I’ll be interested in hearing your take on it.

Me too! I don't expect it will be my favorite. For one thing, I don't care for shrimp.

Solid non-park choices.
Art’s is on our list as well, but it may be a bit before we get there.

I have heard great things about Art's. Looking forward to trying it.

Are you sure this is wise?
(although it is entirely appropriate for day-13 of a trip)

Why not? I know from experience that driving I-95 through the Carolinas is...less than ideal.

Let us hope I’ve not steered you wrong here.

Oh, and whatever you do, for the love of all that is decent and good in the world, do NOT stay the night at the Petersburg Quality Inn. You have been warned.

Thanks, Mr. Cowboy. I'll take it under advisement.

Hope the Comfort Suites is ok.:rolleyes1

Carefully driving in the DC area isn’t possible.
Defensively driving in the DC area…
that’s about as good as you can do.

Oh, but you pick up two shuttle sighting’s in one trip.
Most excellent.

The idea is to avoid rush hour. If I can do that, we'll be ok. And since we'll now have the time, it would be hard to justify skipping Udvar-Hazy.

I actually asked about this for fairly selfish reasons (imagine that). I think I’ve mentioned that I have kin out that way; specifically in Kingston WA. Our current circumstances will have us very likely headed out there to see them as soon as next May. That being the case and being as the airfare has already been covered (long story) I’m considering adding a road trip into the middle part of the outing and inviting my hosts to come along.

Sounds like a great idea!

We’ll probably only have maybe five-ish days available in that trip for extra traveling so it won’t be as grand as your loops usually are. We kind’a have a specific direction and a specific ultimate destination in mind, but I’ve come to trust your instincts on places to see and was curious to hear the possible loop and note which spots might work for us as well.

What was that you said about information from questionable sources?

Nice list…

Glacier is the linchpin in that scenario. If you do that one, then the stuff in OR and northern CA gets a mite impractical. If you go south then getting back up to MT becomes tough. I’ve thought about Glacier as well but I’m not sure I can get that in without taking too much time away from what ought to be our primary destination.

Yes, I agree. It's the out-of-the-way location. But I know from experience how stunning it is. It really is a special place, and with the glaciers retreating, I really want to get there. And I think it's do-able if we take our customary 2 weeks. Like I said, I just don't like the idea of backtracking.

What part of Olympic did you have in mind?
If it’s as far north as the Port Angeles area then I’ll mention that there is a morning ferry boat from there to Victoria, Canada (capital of BC) that returns in the evening. That’d be another way of picking up a little bit of Canada.
Or…
From Victoria head N.E. and there’s another ferry that heads over to Vancouver and from there you could take the scenic route through Canada toward Glacier NP.
Is this practical? Of course not…
but it is a thought.

All of it! :teeth:

My thought was that we could fly into Seattle and then immediately drive to Port Angeles. Then I'd have the entire day to get around the various parts of Olympic with a good start in the morning. Hopefully get to Olympia that night to stay. Then I could hit Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on the way to Oregon. Then possibly go all the way south to Redwood and Crater Lake. Return for Columbia River Gorge before heading northwest to Glacier. It'll take a few days, but eventually return to Seattle. Maybe a rest day in the city, followed by a northern excursion to N. Cascades and/or Vancouver before returning for the flight out.

Haven't fleshed out any details, but that's my first idea.

Next question…
Where about’s along the Columbia River Gorge were you thinking of stopping off.
That area may well be a viable option for our return loop but I may have to limit it to a couple of fairly close together sites.

There are several waterfalls along the way with pullouts/viewpoints. I don't remember them all, but @Steppesister might have some insight on that. If nothing else, Multnomah Falls is the big spectacular one that I wouldn't want to miss. There's a cool trail and bridge to the falls there too. If you go far enough, I think there are some historic locks on the river as well.

I like this iteration better than the one where you crash.

The Fort Wilderness Cabins sound perfect for your family. O'hana is an interesting choice for your family. It's a definite favorite of mine. Asian inspired is a cuisine I've never known you guys to indulge in. Then again you can eat all the chicken or beef you like so that works for you. Plus that Banana Foster Bread pudding is the stuff that Dreams are made of!

It's been 25 years since I was at Typhoon Lagoon, but I'm sure your kids will love it. We enjoyed Art Smith's on our last trip, the meals are huge, but the chicken is tasty. I hope it's not sacrilege but I enjoyed 50's Prime Time more, but then it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to into Disney Springs, whereas DHS, you might even need to give up some vital organs to get your family in there.

That should be interesting. We skipped that one since it was so far out of the way from the museums on the mall. However, I suppose that fits well into your plan that it is so remote, keeps you well outside the Beltway and that traffic mess.

Sounds like fun and it's coming up quickly now!

I'm sure that it is also the basis for this Buster Keaton movie which contains the single most-expensive scene of the silent film era.

Yes, the story was the basis for that one as well. I've never seen it, but from what I've read, Keaton took a lot of liberties with the story in order to make a comedy. It's supposed to be a classic.

Hey, that's like riding a ride without paying for a park ticket!

Well, that's the idea!

Be sure to tell your server that Ohana means "family". She'll be impressed by your breadth of knowledge.

Wow! I'll be sure to write that down. As ever, I am impressed by your breadth of knowledge.

Nice! Make sure you find the Crush 'n' Gusher, it's great!

We went there once in 2012. I think we may spend the whole day on the Crush 'n Gusher this time around!

I thought it was Attica! Attica!

Sure, if you watch classic great films. If you watch crap, like Talladega Nights, then you get anarchy.

I wonder how many movies have similar lines.

Terminator has been ripped off so many times at this point, you'd probably lose count.

That might not be a bad option at all, then!

One way or another, we'll make it work out!

Honestly, if I was by myself, I'd do it.
But I ain't.
So I ain't.

No worries. I hear ya.

I was by myself, but the state wasn't paying for a rental car. So I couldn't leave Des Moines. And after seeing the entire city shut down after 5 p.m. every day, I really wanted to!

Hmm... Ah! I was wondering (thanks google!) why that sounded familiar.
No I haven't read it.
I'll see if I can find it here at the library or just buy it.
Thanks for the offer, but I suspect shipping it would be cost-prohibitive.
Sending a few bars of chocolates to the States usually runs me $25 - 30.

Wow, I had no idea it was that steep!

I'd still do it, though. I was actually given the copy by a friend who loved it, and I already had it. So he told me to give it to someone who would appreciate the story. I saw this as my opportunity!:laughing:

Yes! do that!

(making a note--lots of aquarium photos)

:laughing: Yeah, that would do it!

This whole world is not set up for large families.

I like this iteration better than the one where you crash.

Thank you! At least somebody is looking out for us.

The Fort Wilderness Cabins sound perfect for your family. O'hana is an interesting choice for your family. It's a definite favorite of mine. Asian inspired is a cuisine I've never known you guys to indulge in. Then again you can eat all the chicken or beef you like so that works for you. Plus that Banana Foster Bread pudding is the stuff that Dreams are made of!

I've thought about trying it for a while because I've generally heard good things. Asian isn't something we do a lot, but it doesn't scare me. I'm sure we'll be just fine with the chicken, beef and noodles. I don't generally like bananas in my dessert but everyone raves about the bread pudding so I'll give it a shot!

It's been 25 years since I was at Typhoon Lagoon, but I'm sure your kids will love it. We enjoyed Art Smith's on our last trip, the meals are huge, but the chicken is tasty. I hope it's not sacrilege but I enjoyed 50's Prime Time more, but then it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to into Disney Springs, whereas DHS, you might even need to give up some vital organs to get your family in there.

We loved it there in 2012!

Well, 50's Prime Time has excellent fried chicken. I can't blame you there. But like you said, I'm not going into the parks this time around. It's fun to try new places. This gives us a chance to see the new Disney Springs as well. And Art Smith's has donuts!

That should be interesting. We skipped that one since it was so far out of the way from the museums on the mall. However, I suppose that fits well into your plan that it is so remote, keeps you well outside the Beltway and that traffic mess.

It's definitely worth the visit. But for us, it's not usually justified unless we're already in Virginia for some reason. So this is a chance to go for it.

Sounds like fun and it's coming up quickly now!

Yes! This summer has been absolutely nuts!:eek:

Sure, if you watch classic great films. If you watch crap, like Talladega Nights, then you get anarchy.

Terminator has been ripped off so many times at this point, you'd probably lose count.

True. Kids these days know the references... but not to what it refers.

I was by myself, but the state wasn't paying for a rental car. So I couldn't leave Des Moines. And after seeing the entire city shut down after 5 p.m. every day, I really wanted to!

Ouch.

I'd still do it, though. I was actually given the copy by a friend who loved it, and I already had it. So he told me to give it to someone who would appreciate the story. I saw this as my opportunity!:laughing:

Well, if snail-mail isn't too pricy... Sure! But if it's more than a couple of bucks, don't worry about it.

I think we needed to break up that drive back. For all of our sanity.
Two consecutive eight-ish hour drives with few interesting stops multiplied by four young’ens raised to the power of two weeks on the road…

Nope, that’s not very good math, there.
Better you bust it up.

Me too! I don't expect it will be my favorite. For one thing, I don't care for shrimp.
Now I like me some shrimp, but I h-a-t-e peeling them.
I’ll not say anything else for or against the place just yet as I want to see y’all’s take on it first.

Why not? I know from experience that driving I-95 through the Carolinas is...less than ideal.
Less than ideal?
You’re being kind.

Thanks, Mr. Cowboy. I'll take it under advisement.
You asked for miracles…
I give you the F.B.I.

Hope the Comfort Suites is ok.:rolleyes1
It’d have to go out it its way to be any worse.

And since we'll now have the time, it would be hard to justify skipping Udvar-Hazy.
That time thing is the key to seeing all kinds of cool geeky stuff.

What was that you said about information from questionable sources?
Hay, everything about me is questionable…
Why should my sources be any different?

Yes, I agree. It's the out-of-the-way location. But I know from experience how stunning it is. It really is a special place, and with the glaciers retreating, I really want to get there. And I think it's do-able if we take our customary 2 weeks. Like I said, I just don't like the idea of backtracking.
It is those receding glaciers that have me contemplating this as well.

My thought was that we could fly into Seattle and then immediately drive to Port Angeles. Then I'd have the entire day to get around the various parts of Olympic with a good start in the morning. Hopefully get to Olympia that night to stay. Then I could hit Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on the way to Oregon. Then possibly go all the way south to Redwood and Crater Lake. Return for Columbia River Gorge before heading northwest to Glacier. It'll take a few days, but eventually return to Seattle. Maybe a rest day in the city, followed by a northern excursion to N. Cascades and/or Vancouver before returning for the flight out.

Haven't fleshed out any details, but that's my first idea.
Not a bad general route at all. Pushing down to Redwood and then catching Crater on the way back up will also make that back tracking issue a mite less annoying. The Vancouver junket at the end will also require a smidgen of backtracking unless you swing up there prior to the Seattle return. Hit Cascades maybe via one of the state roads and then spend the evening in Canada. Explore there in the morning and then drop back down toward SeaTac.

There are several waterfalls along the way with pullouts/viewpoints. I don't remember them all, but @Steppesister might have some insight on that. If nothing else, Multnomah Falls is the big spectacular one that I wouldn't want to miss. There's a cool trail and bridge to the falls there too. If you go far enough, I think there are some historic locks on the river as well.
It’s information like that that explains my faith in questionable sources.

Ok, before I quote/reply, a word I've been thinking about all week whilst camping.

Yes, the PNW has its magical mountain/Cascades scenes, but if the Oregon (specifically- aside from the Olympics which does have some coast) Coast isn't on your list, you need to add it! No really, it's very, very different from both the California Coastline scenery and VERY different from the East Coast Coastal scenery. I doubt you'd want to trek the entirety of Hwy 101 but a quick jaunt over to Newport to see the Newport Bay Aquarium (or IMHO, the free, but not quite as spectacular, but still pretty darn good) Hatfield Marine Science Research Center would be WELL worth your time. You could hit up Pacific City where you can watch the Dories land straight onto the beach after fishing, or to any of the 5 or so Lighthouses along our coast. Plenty of places for some tidepooling, and if you timed it right (we can help) we can show you a secret beach with a small cave that the sea leaves fun starfish behind in during low tide. (You can only access during low tide).

Anyway, yes, the mountains, Gorge, Redwoods, all that is great, but the Coast shouldn't be omitted.

This is going to be a ton of driving. Our poor minivan...I hope it holds up!

Wait! Are you driving here?! In your own car? Surely you're renting one....

We did Typhoon Lagoon as part of our "surprise" trip in 2012 B.D. (Before Drew). Had a great time there, especially with the Crush 'n Gusher. It's a good way to have fun if you don't quite have the funding to do a week at the theme parks. A taste of Disney is better than none at all!

I can see that! And yes, you're right! Even just a meal at DTD and a round of mini? A monorail tour with snacks at each resort; I can think of lots of ways to have a perfectly great day(s) without a park ticket.

We also feel like Drew needs a little more "seasoning" before doing a full week at the parks. So next year for that. This year we can whet his appetite. He'll be excited about the monorail.

Wise man says more age need. Grow Drew, grow. Become strong tourist. Big boy.

True. Kids these days know the references... but not to what it refers.

I'm working on these things with my own kids. It's fun to introduce them to great movies. Like watching them again for the first time. Terminator is probably still a little too graphic for them, though.

Well, if snail-mail isn't too pricy... Sure! But if it's more than a couple of bucks, don't worry about it.

I haven't even begun to look into this yet, so I'll have to get back to you!

Two consecutive eight-ish hour drives with few interesting stops multiplied by four young’ens raised to the power of two weeks on the road…

Nope, that’s not very good math, there.
Better you bust it up.

I think that was a sensible solution.

Now I like me some shrimp, but I h-a-t-e peeling them.
I’ll not say anything else for or against the place just yet as I want to see y’all’s take on it first.

I'll probably be concentrating on the beef and chicken.

Less than ideal?
You’re being kind.

Ok. Total Snooze-o-Rama.

You asked for miracles…
I give you the F.B.I.

+1:thumbsup2

It’d have to go out it its way to be any worse.

Let's hope they didn't try.

That time thing is the key to seeing all kinds of cool geeky stuff.

Hay, everything about me is questionable…
Why should my sources be any different?

In that case, I have a good deal I can offer you on some property in Iowa.

It is those receding glaciers that have me contemplating this as well.

One word of caution--you really want to see Going-To-The-Sun Road. And it's only open for maybe a couple of months out of the year. Even early July is iffy. They keep the status updated on the Glacier NP website.

Not a bad general route at all. Pushing down to Redwood and then catching Crater on the way back up will also make that back tracking issue a mite less annoying. The Vancouver junket at the end will also require a smidgen of backtracking unless you swing up there prior to the Seattle return. Hit Cascades maybe via one of the state roads and then spend the evening in Canada. Explore there in the morning and then drop back down toward SeaTac.

All are definitely options worth thinking about. I've got time to optimize it. Liesa put in a good pitch for the Oregon coastline too.

It’s information like that that explains my faith in questionable sources.

Don't worry, I'll let you down at some point.

Yes, the PNW has its magical mountain/Cascades scenes, but if the Oregon (specifically- aside from the Olympics which does have some coast) Coast isn't on your list, you need to add it! No really, it's very, very different from both the California Coastline scenery and VERY different from the East Coast Coastal scenery. I doubt you'd want to trek the entirety of Hwy 101 but a quick jaunt over to Newport to see the Newport Bay Aquarium (or IMHO, the free, but not quite as spectacular, but still pretty darn good) Hatfield Marine Science Research Center would be WELL worth your time. You could hit up Pacific City where you can watch the Dories land straight onto the beach after fishing, or to any of the 5 or so Lighthouses along our coast. Plenty of places for some tidepooling, and if you timed it right (we can help) we can show you a secret beach with a small cave that the sea leaves fun starfish behind in during low tide. (You can only access during low tide).

Anyway, yes, the mountains, Gorge, Redwoods, all that is great, but the Coast shouldn't be omitted.

Great stuff! Thanks! I had wanted to make sure we saw the coastline in Olympic National Park, because I know from experience that you can see the "stacks" or little cliffs/islands that have broken away from the coast line. I'll have to research the Oregon coast destinations as well!

Wait! Are you driving here?! In your own car? Surely you're renting one....

No, the drive is THIS summer in the Deep South. Most likely driving to WDW next summer, too. But for the Pacific Northwest, that will definitely be a fly/rental trip.

I can see that! And yes, you're right! Even just a meal at DTD and a round of mini? A monorail tour with snacks at each resort; I can think of lots of ways to have a perfectly great day(s) without a park ticket.

All of those sound like good plans to me! I do love resort-hopping at WDW.

Wise man says more age need. Grow Drew, grow. Become strong tourist. Big boy.

And stop drawing on wall with crayon.

A Poor Man’s Pre-Trip Report for the Deep South, 2017

Have I lost you yet? You’re still here? Fine, here’s the plan for our summer trip this year.

Day 1: Driving all day to my uncle’s place in Virginia. Crash there.

Day 2: Hiking/shooting stuff, as my uncle likes to do. Then drive to Cherokee, North Carolina.

Day 3: Great Smoky Mountains National Park, followed by Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Dang it! I wish that I had known that you were going through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park too. I have some travel brochures that I could have put in the package that I just sent you. If you have the time, drive through Cade's Cove and hike up to Clingman's Dome (be prepared you will get winded or maybe we just got winded because we are out of shape). The views are amazing!

If you go into Gatlinburg, go to the Mellow Mushroom. The food is so good. About halfway through the town and on the main strip, often there is free live music played just outside of Mellow Mushroom and Ole Smoky Mountain Moonshine.

Day 4: Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta, Georgia. Still undecided on doing World of Coca-Cola or CNN Studios tours.

Day 5: MLK National Historic Site in the morning. Then driving west to Arkansas, with a stop for BBQ in Memphis.

Day 6: Hot Springs National Park, followed by Crater of Diamonds State Park and a quick hop across the border to cross off Oklahoma. Sorry, Oklahoma. Spending the night in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Ahhh, Hot Springs National Park...holds a special place in my heart because I've gone there year after year since I was a wee little girl. Check out those articles that I linked on Facebook. There's some great stuff to see and some of it's free! The Bathhouse Tour is free of charge and educational. The kids can get their Jr. Ranger stamp too. Definitely skip the wax museum and their pitiful excuse for an aquarium. You'll be demanding your money back at the aquarium. The local pet store has a better set up.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but The Arlington Hotel (smack in the middle of the main strip) used to have one of Al Capone's cars in their lobby. There was talk that it would be removed but we didn't check last time we were in town.

If you have any ailments, buy a couple of plastic jugs and fill them with the water from one of the local jug fountains. The jugs are for sale at many of the stores along the main street/strip/bathhouse row. Everybody swears that the water has healing powers and after a long road trip, you may have some aches and pains. If there is a parking space near one of the public fountains, take advantage of it! The water is HOT HOT HOT! We parked about a block away and we had to stop several times to let our hands cool off.

I believe that one of the brochures that I included in your package has a guide to the walking/hiking paths that are in town. One will take you up the mountain to a view of the area. There are two roads that will take you up the mountain. There is one past The Arlington to the right and the other is to the left and then you follow the signs. Both are pretty drives and provide nice views. There are a few picnic areas that you can take advantage of too.

If while in Hot Springs, you are looking for a hole in the wall place to eat but serves up some good food, try McClard's. It's been open for decades. Or go over to The Purple Cow. It's great too and reminds me of Beaches & Cream at Disney's Beach Club.

Other freebies are the Park Ranger programs/events held at Lake Ouachita State Park which is not too far from town. On some evenings, they have special presentations such as films on how Blakely Mountain Dam was built (very close by too) and a favorite is when they bring out some of the local animals for a show and tell.

Don't be surprised if, when driving out to Crater of Diamonds, you think that you're never ever going to find the park. It's way out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if you will have room in the van but if you do, pack your own digging tools like the little trowels and spades that you work in the flower beds with. They rent them there but it's cheaper if you can bring your own. Bring plenty of sunscreen! Lots of it! There's hardly any shade in those fields. There are usually park rangers scattered about the fields helping diamond miners clean up and identify what they've found. If you don't see one in the field, take them inside and there are rangers who will be glad to help you.

And beware, there is a splash play area in the Crater of Diamonds campground and, if I am remembering correctly, you drive right past it when going into the park. Just thought I'd let you know in case your kiddos neeeeeeeded to check it out. I believe that it is only accessible to those staying at the park.

Shreveport is just 100 miles from us! Once you figure out what time you'll be passing through our town, let me know. We may have a chance to say hello. Shreveport and Bossier are pretty much one in the same. One of the popular spots for the locals is Strawn's Eat Shop. My niece goes there at least once a week. Ralph and Kacoo's is also another local favorite but a bit more on the expensive side. If you have time to explore Shreveport (also known as the Hollywood of the South), the Sci-Port Science Museum is pretty cool and not too terribly expensive.

If you travel through West Monroe/Monroe, the Biedenharn Museum has some neat Coca-Cola memorabilia and is pretty wallet friendly. And if you do stop in West Monroe and it's close to lunch time, go to West Monroe Coney Island. It's a true dive but has THE best coneys and chili cheese burgers around these parts. There are all sorts of hot dog related items plastered on the wall, on the shelves near the ceiling and every other nook and cranny. But make sure that you go before 3:00 p.m. because they shut it down after the lunch crowd dies down. (or in the Winter time...when it starts getting dark)

Day 7: Vicksburg battlefield (Mississippi), then New Orleans (hopefully visit N.O. Jazz National Historic Site).

The Mississippi Visitor's Center serves free Coke samples during their operating hours. And it's a nice place to stop and take pictures with the cannons and the mighty Miss-iss-ipp. Did I mention that they have nice clean bathrooms? Yeah, that's my go-to pit stop when we travel that way. You can ask any member of my family and they'll tell you that I know every bathroom/pit stop from here to the other side of the United States.

In addition to the battlefield, there's also the Biedenharn Coca Cola Museum. (By the way, I'm ticked at Coca Cola right now too. They shut down the Coke Rewards program and I can't get into the new way of collecting those points.)

Day 8: Thought about more New Orleans here (WWII Museum), but instead we’re managing long drives over the next two days. Stopping near Pensacola, Florida for Gulf Islands National Seashore, finishing the night in Tallahassee, Florida.

If at all possible, try to get on the East side of Tallahassee, the traffic is a pain in the you know what! If you can at least get past several of the State Capital exits, it will be better.

Day 9: Driving all day to W. Palm Beach, Florida.

Day 10: Everglades National Park and Biscayne Bay National Park, returning to W. Palm Beach.

Day 11: Kennedy Space Center, followed by [REDACTED – TOP SECRET]

Day 12: [REDACTED – TOP SECRET]

Day 14: Heading home.

Day 15: Crash.

So there you have it! I think this may actually set a new road trip record for mileage for us. Unfortunately, that mileage will be piled onto our own van this time.

But, hey—that’s what we have it for.

Let me know what you think! Are we nuts? Any suggestions? Things we should do differently? Places to eat? Things we shouldn’t miss?

Coming Up Next: I’ll do a quick TR of our Texas vacation over spring break, if I ever get the photos uploaded.

Sorry for the info overload. If I know you, you already know most of what I posted. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!