A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

Um, steak popcorn. Weird! (They probably meant BBQ, but it was also weird seeing the onion/bell pepper/carrots on the top!

kHDQAey.jpg
Steak flavored popcorn??? Now that is weird

Earlier in the morning I bought some fastpasses for today. When Shanghai Disney first opened they had lots of issues with scalpers.
This is insane!!!! Industrious for the people doing it but I can't believe that Disney let that go on.

Back over at Adventure Isle, where it was time for the Camp Discovery Challenge Trails. This is a full ropes course in a Disney park! Seriously
Looks like a ton of fun but definitely an odd thing to find in the middle of a Disney theme park

More random headpiece photos! (I did end up getting one of these, but not until the next day – can you guess which one?)

0NmHrvg.jpg
Please tell me its this one. Love it!

Wow how cool! Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures in here

And WOW! This ride was the best version! Absolute best! So many updated animatronics and whole additional scenes. They also really integrated simple projections which brought the ride to life! So awesome!
I've heard so many wonderful things about this ride and can only hope to ride it some day.

(Oh and this was my first experience with, um, guests not using proper toilets. A family with 2 little boys entered in front of me and the mom whipped out a water bottle for her son to pee into. At least that was somewhat understandable, since it was a little kid and she did immediately seal it and throw it out. Still a bit interesting to see…)
Compared to some of the stories I've read about this does seem pretty tame. Hopefully our first experience is also you last

I got the Strawberry Bubble Waffle, which was delicious! Fresh bubble waffle, soft serve, strawberry sauce, pocky stick! Highly recommend!

XpzPgi6.jpg
I have died and gone to bubble waffle heaven? Why oh why can't Disney bring amazing things like this to the US parks. I'd take this over a generic dumpling at food and wine any day of the week

Love the bullseye butt POV

Took a couple of weeks off, but am all caught up again. You put up loads of updates while I was gone! If I ever get back to the Far East, I'd like to spend a day there just to do the attractions that are different---- and, umm, that sounds like ALL of them! LOL!!

Just found this TR and binge-read the whole thing! I'd love to get to the Asian parks someday and it sounds like you are off to a great start!

Catching up!!
Shanghai Disneyland is so pretty!!
Oh and I did take photos this one time in the bathroom of the Chinese style toilets (since it was empty). All of the bathrooms had Western style at one end, and there usually wasn’t any wait for those even if the squat-style had a lot of people. It is also very obvious from the outside of the stall which one it is!

5UdLKkS.jpg
4oEG6Xn.jpg

LOL the infamous Asian squat toilets, LOL. They are traumatizing.
That waffle looks soo good! But definitely skimpy on the syrup!
Some ice cream options, but they all seemed a bit unfamiliar (Papaya milk, Sea salted cheese), so I skipped those.

65cz5yD.jpg
Those sound good, they sound like something I'd definitely try!

When Shanghai Disney first opened they had lots of issues with scalpers. People who would arrive early, grab all the Soaring Fps and then actually sit on the curb and sell them! (China also has some weird complicated trespassing laws, that Disney can kick them out for the day, but not permanently ban them. Also, security guards would sometimes be bribed by the scalpers to look the other way.) The scalping wasn't just with fastpasses - some enterprising people would go and rent out all the official Disney strollers, go to another area of the park, and then re-rent them for more money! Or others would go to the metro station, which didn't allow balloons on the trains; they would buy the balloons from people leaving the park and then go to the parking lot and resell them to people who drove in! It's pretty interesting to read some of these stories!
Chinese people are CRAZY. :rotfl:
Wow that obstacle course sounds pretty intense! I am not sure I'd do it but Steve definitely will!
I got one of the Halloween dishes – “Beef rice flour and pumpkin”. I was curious about this, but wasn’t the biggest fan of one of the flavors in the sauce. It wasn’t bad or anything, just not for me. (I noticed this again with another dish I got in a different spot, so I think it’s just a particular spice or something that is used in actual Chinese cooking.)

0MW0qUl.jpg
It may be Chinese 5-spice powder, it's probably the only thing that makes me go, hmmm, there's something different in here!
If you can’t tell, I was actually having a pretty awesome day!

XmVyuIu.jpg
It sure looks like you're having a great day!
What is a pork floss bun? It sounds like they have added more snacks that westerners might enjoy from the earlier reports. Several of the writers of the TRs I read were Asians living in Western countries, and they commented that the offerings were a bit foreign to them. The addition of a croque Monsieur was nice.
Alison, pork floss is dehydrated seasoned pork. It's kind of like chinese barbequed pork they dehydrate it in to a jerkey and finely shred/shave it into a floss like texture. It has a sweet/salty flavor. They use it as a topping to top of things like rice porridge, and baked goods. It's very popular and is a Chinese household staple in the pantry because it's a meat product that can last a while and does not need to be refridgerated. (I think the closest thing I can come up with in western food is bacon bits). If you go to one of the Asian bakerys in So Cal, you will be able to find pork floss buns.

That is adorable! This is one land that will really entice me to visit Shanghai DL!
I considered getting one of these sippers but decided not to since I was worried about luggage space!

EtQCxpm.jpg
OMG these are the custest things ever!!! I would buy all 4 of them, LOL. I could probably leave out the ball on the left though but the other 3 are so cute!

That looks delish!
It was! I am a big bubble waffle fan!
your first 3 picutres could have been Hollywood Studios!
Yeah, they were designed super similar! Different rides, but similar designs!
I love how the first few pictures look like they could be WDW but then the rest are totally different! I wish we had more of the statues they had around especially Jessie saying goodbye!
I did like the statues!
I love the Bullseyes in Woody's Roundup!

Based on your pictures, it looks like their version of TSL was more like DL Paris's version versus DHS's. But maybe that's just because they had a lot of the same attractions. Either way, it's great that Toy Story is incorporated into this park, too.
Definitley more similar to Paris. Hong Kong also was a cookie cutter for Paris. HK and DLP have identical rides; Shanghai replaced the army soldier drop for the Woody's Roundup.
As usual I'm late to the party but so glad I found this TR as I had wanted to hear more about this trip even though I followed on FB.

I would just be crazy for all the merch in the Asia parks...It must have been so hard to resist.
Oh, it was hard to resist! Still haven't found places for all of the stuff I bought though!
Your lunch spot was pretty neat. There were lots of good choices on that menu. I also like how they themed the different rooms. Lots of cute seating areas!
Yeah, definitely lots of areas!
I can't believe the projected losses for the Asian parks being closed! I would think it would be less than them trying to stay open through low crowds but it is scary to think what it might mean for the future of these parks! I hope they get the virus under control soon!

Looks like a fun day overall!
I know! It's crazy over there right now!
Interesting facts about the 7DMT. I can see not having the animatronics to use over again so they had to make due with what they could.

Pooh's store looked cute. Interesting how the book was in Chinese, but rabbit's garden sign still said "Kerits."

Good thing you had all those FP! Those wait times are crazy! Interesting about PP, I'm not watching any of the videos that you're posting, cause if I ever go, I want to be surprised.

I've heard worse stories about not using proper bathrooms. At least she/he did it in a contained space and disposed of it.

I've seen photos of the Crystal Grotto, but no one ever mentioned that there were fountains, just figures. No I don't know where the raft is from....
Hope it's not too full of spoilers for you!

Steak flavored popcorn??? Now that is weird
Yup! It probably tasted like BBQ, but still, that was strange!
This is insane!!!! Industrious for the people doing it but I can't believe that Disney let that go on.
I know! I think Disney just had no idea how the Chinese people would end up finding advantages.
Please tell me its this one. Love it!
Ding ding ding!
I've heard so many wonderful things about this ride and can only hope to ride it some day.
All of the rides were so much fun!
Compared to some of the stories I've read about this does seem pretty tame. Hopefully our first experience is also you last
There was one other incident, but also relatively minor, considering!
I have died and gone to bubble waffle heaven? Why oh why can't Disney bring amazing things like this to the US parks. I'd take this over a generic dumpling at food and wine any day of the week
Have you checked out Aristocrepes at Disney Springs? They have a couple options (chocolate/caramel and strawberry). I'm going to try the Chocolate one in a couple weeks!
Took a couple of weeks off, but am all caught up again. You put up loads of updates while I was gone! If I ever get back to the Far East, I'd like to spend a day there just to do the attractions that are different---- and, umm, that sounds like ALL of them! LOL!!
Trying to get thru these TRs! I have so many things left to post!

And yes, there are just some amazing rides in the Asian parks!
Just found this TR and binge-read the whole thing! I'd love to get to the Asian parks someday and it sounds like you are off to a great start!
Definitely try to make time to get over there! I can't wait to get back!
Shanghai Disneyland is so pretty!!
It really was! And I didn't expect it!
Wow that obstacle course sounds pretty intense! I am not sure I'd do it but Steve definitely will!
Oh, it wasn't too bad. And you could always do the "easy" route, which really is no worse than walking up stairs or crossing bridges. Or you can always walk below and get photos of Steve!
It sure looks like you're having a great day!
It really ended up becoming an almost perfect first day!
That is adorable! This is one land that will really entice me to visit Shanghai DL!
Epic trip 2025?
OMG these are the custest things ever!!! I would buy all 4 of them, LOL. I could probably leave out the ball on the left though but the other 3 are so cute!
Oh, you can't see - the ball actually has Woody sitting on it! (He's blocked by the Lotso straw dangle.) It was one of the cuter ones - I think that was the issue for me, how do I pick just one?

Part 8 – Mickey’s Storybook Express

I headed out of Tomorrowland, but paused right near the entrance to the Gardens of Imagination, as it was getting close to parade time. I ended up finding a spot in the front row, but unfortunately this was the only really bad guest interactions I had. I ended up being surrounded by some other guests (mostly a friend group of 20-somethings) and apparently NO ONE sits during the Shanghai parades. So beforehand, they all were standing and basically stepping around and blocking my view. I knew I needed to stand to see the parade, so stood up right before the parade. Of course, being a Westerner, means I was taller than them, so once I stood up, it blocked some of their views. I would have felt bad, except their group was the reason I was standing up. Also, it’s not like typical parades where there are lots and lots of rows of people standing there – the people only stand 2-3 deep. So they could have easily moved further down the parade route (which some of them did do). So, anyways, it was a bit frustrating in the moment, but no worse than when I did parades in Paris or the US parks.

Ok, parade time! It’s cute and themed around a train.

(not my video)

Opening unit – Mickey and friends! Loved how the Queens had a ride – and if you look at the details of the stickers, they refer to places all around the world, including my favorite, Animal Kingdom Lodge!

ZgHMyM5.jpg
P4m2Qy9.jpg
pspKyCz.jpg
3jN4ffi.jpg
Vht846l.jpg
h62YrFh.jpg

XQRUP6B.jpg
fp3NpTF.jpg

Toy Story

n0PyIwl.jpg
wQei5tT.jpg
SGIFxWA.jpg
a9YuAGj.jpg
tXrXZzR.jpg
xfeChwR.jpg

Tangled – Flynn actually picked me out of the crowd and it was funny to see his reaction to seeing a westerner!

drfcgCt.jpg
rrVzbLF.jpg
ZKZTxPE.jpg
OuvbWHW.jpg
07KWWJw.jpg
4fEtUxy.jpg
KZlJRgr.jpg
JwHAEkN.jpg
BRDGB2l.jpg

Finding Nemo – unfortunately the pelican wasn’t opening and closing its mouth and the fish weren’t moving like it seems they should, but you can't tell that from photos!

pQqR84Z.jpg
qV4GUZt.jpg
8QqQZpY.jpg
eS6whGu.jpg

Frozen

ron99t5.jpg
cePYieW.jpg
hSvfFlT.jpg
Xt7itWA.jpg
qfqaD9u.jpg
CV0oTha.jpg
4sxcwSR.jpg

And the piece-de-resistance! Mulan! Gorgeous and I loved the dancing! You can really tell they put a lot of their parade budget into this float unit!

KO6B1FS.jpg
427i5NJ.jpg
xVLZu4y.jpg
LnhCqcV.jpg
hg6fIxd.jpg
21d0Has.jpg
b5NNlqk.jpg
WpsJtsr.jpg
lgIvuRl.jpg
JgaFuD1.jpg
p0PxdU3.jpg
QU5rnXD.jpg
Y7QOoxJ.jpg
44TC0Pe.jpg
Mf7UsP0.jpg
6bmn1kP.jpg
l5SiiPb.jpg
B3vGxc1.jpg
ojcDrAD.jpg
xAPZneX.jpg
W8tS3zP.jpg

And caboose!

vRTvRIH.jpg
aKi5oII.jpg
zp0QjmN.jpg
PkqezX3.jpg
pj4eN8Q.jpg
cmXvTiC.jpg
N1PkAPB.jpg
9akZt8d.jpg
ASCs8wt.jpg

So, I did really like the parade. (I’m a parade person though.) Lots of gorgeous floats and fun dancers (they had energy but not Tokyo energy)

Coming up – even more photos and rides!

Great parade photos! It looked really different too! I'm not usually a parade person but I think I'd stop and see the ones in different parts of the world!!

I'm sure all of you guys have heard about the closing of the parks in China due to the coronavirus. I guess Disney expects to lose $280 million! It really is breaking my heart, because while I understand there is a risk, I loved these places so much! And just worry about their future! (Of course I am worried about the people too!)

This is just madness, the entire situation. And I saw your post about the CDC. That just makes it even more tragic.

I really wish they had added something like this to DHS’s version of the land

I was just saying something like that the other day. Without giving too much of a spoiler on my upcoming TR, RotR went down while we were holding a BG. We had to amuse ourselves, while we waited for it to come back up. We perused all the shops in Galaxy's Edge before moving on to TS land. Some kind of shopping opportunity there would have been fun to look through, even if they did only have the same stuff you find in all the other stores.

I had to take a photo of this push chair/stroller. It was everywhere in Shanghai (and Hong Kong), and actually I was ok with it. Very unobtrusive and could easily fold up. Kids could easily get in and out of it (the U-shape restraint just flips up over their heads).

I can visualize how a kid kits there and doesn't strangle itself. But that's probably just me. Sure beats those mega double strollers that were supposed to be banned from the parks but are still running around.

Yay finally all caught up!

OK so you snuck an update in while I wasn't looking. Now I am caught up!

I ended up being surrounded by some other guests (mostly a friend group of 20-somethings) and apparently NO ONE sits during the Shanghai parades. So beforehand, they all were standing and basically stepping around and blocking my view. I knew I needed to stand to see the parade, so stood up right before the parade. Of course, being a Westerner, means I was taller than them, so once I stood up, it blocked some of their views. I would have felt bad, except their group was the reason I was standing up.

Oh, well. Too bad, so sad. They can cope. Especially if they are 20 somethings.

Finding Nemo – unfortunately the pelican wasn’t opening and closing its mouth and the fish weren’t moving like it seems they should, but you can't tell that from photos!

I bet they were hoping that the guests weren't savvy enough to know what a working float was supposed to look like, and just let it go out like that.

So, I did really like the parade. (I’m a parade person though.) Lots of gorgeous floats and fun dancers (they had energy but not Tokyo energy)

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not really a parade person, but if I were in Shanghai, i would feel as though i had to see it just because i may not be back again.

The parade looks awesome! Mulans horse and whole caravan looks so cool!

As annoying as it was to block the view of the people around you I feel like I would have felt satisfaction in the fact that they were the sole reason I had to stand haha

I got the Strawberry Bubble Waffle, which was delicious! Fresh bubble waffle, soft serve, strawberry sauce, pocky stick! Highly recommend!
I looove bubble waffles and that one looks so yummy!

Some cute capsule games but they seemed to only take the digital Chinese currency, so I didn’t get any
Weird so do you pay through your phone? Or is it a special kind of card/chip??

First, Woody’s Roundup
Alright this is so adorable.

Very unobtrusive and could easily fold up. Kids could easily get in and out of it (the U-shape restraint just flips up over their heads).
Those look so nifty! A nice way to give your kids a break without hauling a stroller around.

Tangled – Flynn actually picked me out of the crowd and it was funny to see his reaction to seeing a westerner!
This float is amazing!

You can really tell they put a lot of their parade budget into this float unit!
This is the coolest float I've ever seen in my life. Holy cow my jaw was on the floor just from looking at pictures. The word that comes to mind is...magnificent.

So the face characters (princesses, Mary Poppins) are generally Western, but the majority of the dancers are not?

The parade does look fun!

I'm just lurking in the background enjoying hearing about all these Asian parks adventures. I don't even need to tell you how much I want to go because you've heard it all before lol Enjoying living vicariously through you (and my Oswald bag) :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter