A honeymoon, a 3rd wheel & 3 very full tummies: We get how much food?!?!? 19 Nights DxDP!!!!

robinsa88

Mouseketeer
Originally this was going to be a full trip report, but I question my ability to complete one (well for now anyway) and so instead, I have scaled back to arguably the most important part of the trip…..FOOD!

Well, with 19 nights of Deluxe Dining and Food & Wine can you blame us?!?!

That’s right 19 nights, that’s 57 Meal Credits and 38 Snack Credits EACH! Suffice to say, we never did go hungry…..

Some important details for this one as well are contained in my short but sweet Pre Trip Report:

The cliff notes version is that I (Alyce) am pretty into seafood, savory treats, caramel and anything with a LOT of chilli!

Alyce_zps27ar3bv4.jpg

I have an anaphylactic allergy to Bananas! (Which, as an adult, isn’t a huge thing – I know it is in some deserts and it only gets mentioned where I know it will be a problem one restaurant sadly, didn’t take it well, but that’s a story for later!)

DH, Trent is a pretty big eater and will try anything (unless it is full of cucumber, the one and possibly only thing he will not eat!) he loves spice too, but not quite as much as I do.

Trent_zpsardbeh5w.jpg

And 3rd Wheel, Peta is a Gluten Free Vegetarian which did shape our choice of restaurants somewhat, but only proved to be an issue in one restaurant (and I’ll leave you hanging on to figure out which one :P).

Peta_zpsmrmsgazp.jpg

Trent and I are only occasional drinkers, and Peta has a physical disability and takes medications that cannot be used in conjunction with alcohol, so sorry! No fancy cocktails in our trip report! Mocktails and fancy non-alcohol drinks where possible though!

We also have a guest appearance by our friends Steph and Clint and their children Ellie (17m at the time) and Reuben (3 at the time). We had been very excited to do Disney with them after getting bonus points when we joined DVC – we gladly booked them 4 nights at the Polynesian and later added a 5th night at Animal Kingdom Lodge! They feature in meals from day 2 to 7 :)

13047951_10206403936966322_1223229289828431030_o_zpsnuofo8jz.jpg

Don’t worry – I will figure out how to make those pics smaller before I start with the food posts!

The full line-up is in the next post (contents page) for easy reference, and we have implemented an overall rating system for each meal:

Rating System:

All scores are rated from 1-5 Stars on 3 factors – Experience / Food / Service

Basically 1-2 is below average; 3 is average; and 4-5 is above average, though more detailed guides are below.

For Experience:

1 - indicates us feeling completely underwhelmed with theming and/or experience

2 - indicates that we were a little disappointed with the overall theming or character interaction

3 - indicates that the theming or experience lived up to hype / expectations as did the level of character interaction, if applicable

4 - indicates that we were very happy with the overall theming and had great character interaction

5 - indicates us feeling as though we were completely immersed in the experience; for character meals there must have been a stand-out in character interaction

For Food:

1 - indicates that the food was very disappointing, usually due to an error or the food being cold

2 - indicates that we were disappointed with the food (and will be unlikely to return)

3 - indicates that the food was acceptable, but that we weren’t wowed by the offerings

4 - indicates that we were very happy with food, and there was likely one or two menu items that really stood out

5 – indicates that we loved every aspect of the meal (and are VERY likely to return on the next trip)

For Service:

1 - indicates that the server made significant errors or neglected to serve us properly

2 - indicates that we were disappointed with the interaction with our server and likely had to ask multiple times for things

3 - indicates that the service was acceptable, but nothing above and beyond that

4 - indicates that we were very happy with the service and likely had a friendly interaction with the server, or they went out of their way to help us with something

5 – indicates that we loved the service and that our server brought that ‘Disney Magic’ that we all love so much

Cost analysis:

For those interested in the Dining Plan, I will also tally the amount with and without snacks (which we wouldn’t usually get many of) to determine whether the plan was a good choice for us! Before you ask – we love getting mains and on nights when I wouldn’t feel like dessert I always want a cheese plate, but without the plan we would never always eat 3 courses so if that’s true for you, factor that in too :groom:

The plan for us was for it to be convenient, and also so that we could lock in a good exchange rate (Aussie dollar took a dive after we paid for the dining plan in full).

I will do a tally post after each day and at the end! My tally’s do not include regular non-alcoholic drinks as we wouldn’t order these if off the plan, but do include speciality non-alcoholic drinks where applicable :love:

Last edited:
Table of contents:

Day 1:

Citricos Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 2:

Akershus Breakfast
Snacks / Food & Wine
Hoop Dee Doo Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 3:

California Grill Brunch at the Top
Ohana Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 4:

Grand Floridian Café Breakfast
Starring Rolls Café Lunch
Hollywood & Vine – Halloween Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 5:

Grand Floridian Café Breakfast
Sunshine Seasons Lunch
Snacks / Food & Wine
Garden Grill Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 6:

Kona Café Breakfast
Cosmic Rays
Afternoon Snacks
Crystal Palace Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 7:

Rainforest Cafe (AK) Breakfast
Flame Tree BBQ Lunch (& Peta's Snack Allergy Lunch)
Tusker House Dinner
Bonus: Snacks at DVC Safari Spectacular
Dining Plan Tally

Day 8:

1900 Park Fare Breakfast
Snacks on the Boardwalk
Morimoto Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 9:

Cape May Café Breakfast
Bonus: Busch Gardens Tampa
Boathouse Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 10:

Trattoria Il Forno Breakfast
Hollywood Brown Derby Late Lunch / Early Dinner
Bonus: Halloween Night at Universal Studios
Dining Plan Tally

Day 11:

Garden Grill Breakfast (with Eat to the Beat package)
Snacks on the Boardwalk / Food and Wine
Tutto Italia Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 12:

Boardwalk Bakery
Bonus: Lunch and Snacks at Universal Studios
Artist Point Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 13:

Bonus: Breakfast at Lunch at Discovery Cove
Flying Fish Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 14:
Cape May Café Breakfast
Contempo Cafe Lunch
Skipper Canteen Dinner
Bonus: MNSSHP
Dining Plan Tally

Day 15:

Ohana Breakfast
California Grill Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 16:

Tusker House Breakfast
Contempo Cafe Lunch
Coca Cola Experience / Disney Springs Snacks
House of Blues Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 17:

The Wave Breakfast
Snacks at Disney Springs
T-Rex Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 18:

Be Our Guest Breakfast
Starbucks
Cinderella’s Royal Table Dinner
Dining Plan Tally

Day 19:

Chef Mickey’s Breakfast
Food and Wine Festival Lunch
Frontera Cocina Dinner

Day 20:

Cinderella’s Royal Table Breakfast
Contempo Cafe Lunch
Day 19/20 Dining Plan Tally

Final Thoughts and Tally:
Final Dining Plan Tally / Take Home Snacks
Awards! and Regrets??

Last edited:

September 17th - Day 1 – Citricos Dinner

Today had been a busy day for Trent and I, who had already been enjoying our honeymoon week in St Augustine. The day before we had driven in the early morning to Cocoa Beach and checked in at the Hilton there for a night. Our mission was clear – to do 1.5 days at the Kennedy Space Center before picking Peta up from the airport.

We enjoyed the morning at the Kennedy Space Center to finish off some of the exhibits and take more photos in the rocket garden. At 12pm we enjoyed lunch with an astronaut, which was a great experience:

Shortly afterwards we decided to scrap our original plan of going straight to the airport (Peta was due to arrive at 4.30pm after flying via LAX) and instead headed straight to our resort (I’d gotten an email saying our room was ready at 10am!). We were so excited to be staying at our DREAM resort first! The Grand Floridian Villas!

The space in a one-bedroom surprised us!

After grabbing Peta from the airport, we dragged her to dinner (well it felt like dragged as she was still experiencing the full effects of jetlag and having not slept at all during the 22 hrs flying time plus the 6 hour layover in LAX). Thankfully, Peta was starving and ready to eat as being a GF vegetarian on an airline is a challenge!

We quickly got changed into suitable attire:

Then we were super excited to be dressed up and heading for our first ever signature restaurant:

We were very excited to finally wear the ‘Just Married’ badges I snagged off ebay just after hearing they were discontinuing them! The lovely cast member who checked us in was very nice, and also an Aussie, he congratulated us and we were seated immediately.

Our waitress here was lovely (and sorry, I never seem to get or write down names), had a nice chat with us, but also not overly attentive – She offered Trent a refill that never came and then gave me a refill after I declined. She also gave the wrong menu to Peta and it took a few requests to get support around what could be made both vegetarian and GF. No problem, still easier than eating elsewhere!

We were starving so ordered appetisers almost straight away once we got the options sorted for Peta! I wasn’t quite sure what time pick – originally we booked Narcossees and I changed this later due to there not being a great vegetarian option for Peta.

In the end I went with:

Arancini - Crispy Risotto, Mascarpone, spicy Garlic Poma Rosa Sauce ($13)

This was AMAZING, perfectly crispy and the sauce had a nice subtle kick that really pushed it up to another level.

Trent had the pork belly:

Pork belly with Creamy Polenta, Romanesco, Carrots, Port Wine Balsamic Reduction ($17)

Pork Belly is basically Trent’s favourite choice as an appetiser, I recall he was disappointed there was so little pork to polenta, but commented that the flavours were spot on and it was a good choice.

Peta chose the only safe option for her that wasn’t a salad:

English Pea Soup - Morels, Slow-poached Organic Egg, Carrot Espuma ($14)

The flavour was quite good, but given the choice this probably wouldn’t have been something Peta usually ordered. I don’t think it’s on the regular menu anymore. Being starving, she ate most of it anyway, which is uncommon as Peta is a fairly small eater.

On to mains!

Trent, being a meat and 3 veg lover went for the Pork:

Kurobuta Pork Porterhouse - Potato Hash, Rainbow Chard, Spiced Apple, Meaux Mustard Emulsion – ($44.00)

Trent loved this, but was surprised as he had missed the word ‘pork’ when reading the menu (he is severely dyslexic) and thought it was a beef porterhouse! Never mind! He said the pork was perfectly cooked and the flavour combinations just right. The meat to veg ratio was better than the appetiser!

Being a seafood lover, myself, I opted for the Snapper:

Yellowtail Red Snapper - Saffron Jasmine Rice, Clams, Calico Scallops, Chorizo Vinaigrette - $40.00

I usually would have gone the tuna, but didn’t like the idea of olive tapenade so went with the snapper instead. It was a touch over cooked for my liking and I didn’t enjoy the rice too much. The scallops were cooked well but the clams were chewy and over cooked. This was really the only miss we had in terms of food. If we had not pre-paid on the dining plan I would have been very upset to have paid $40 for this main.

Peta was very excited about her choice:

Quinoa and Provençale Ratatouille - Tomato Confit, Chanterelles, Pistou, Chickpea Sauce - $30.00

….and it didn’t disappoint! Peta ate most of this (a big feat for a small eater) and said it was simple but tasty.

Time for Dessert

I preface this by saying, we are not big dessert people. I will often trade out for a cheese plate at home where possible. Trent has a sweet tooth but Peta an I tend to choose fresher options like citrus when given the choice. My one weakness is crème brulee though, so expect that I will order that most places, if an option!

Of course I chose the:

Tropical Fruit Crème Brûlée - with Mango and Assorted Berries - $11.00

Peta had the same, but without the congratulations chocoloate!

It was just as a crème brulee should be, smooth, creamy and full of vanilla!

Trent was a bit jealous in the end as he went with the:

Florida Key Lime Pie - baked in a Graham Cracker Tart Shell served with fresh Strawberries and a Quenelle of Sweet Mandarin Sorbet - $10.00

I was tossing up with this as well as we just don’t get key lime pie very often at home, however this one was just OK, the sorbet didn’t seem to fit and the lime flavour wasn’t strong enough.

And so, the score card:

Food: 4/5 – so close to a perfect score, but a few bumps meant it just missed!

Service: 3/5

Experience: 3/5

Love it!! I cannot wait to read the rest. Citricos has been on my list to try for a while!

September 18th - Day 2 – Akershus Breakfast

Up bright and early (to DH’s protest) we hit the ground running for our first day in the world! Today was EPCOT day and my opportunity to introduce Trent to the magic of character meals!

We got ready and jumped on the monorail, which was experiencing difficulties and so we practically ran to our reservation over in Norway!

P1080713_zpseqgmpp6z.jpg

I was excited about this one as Peta and I did Lunch here a few years ago and LOVED it!

As we sat down and explained Peta’s dietary requirements the server got confused and got someone else to come and help (she was perhaps new?) – no problem, staff were lovely and Peta decided she did not want any eggs and potatoes (jet lag had well and truly set in and she wasn’t hungry) so we got the regular family style meal, meat and all (usually Trent and I would have just had the meat on the side if Peta did want some):

akershus-breakfast-norway-princess-dining-epcot-disney-world-111_zpsmlj1fdyg.jpg

Sadly – it was cold :worried: and with every one running around like crazy it seemed like too much effort to ask for another. We ate some of it anyway, and the flavours were ok – standard fare.

After that I took a quick walk of the buffet, but didn’t get far – the princesses visited us, one by one but in very quick succession:

20160917_0854210_zpszubnqoy4.jpg

20160917_085720_zpsxeh9k5ce.jpg

I was disappointed with the interaction here although I understand there were lots of children at other tables. I have never felt disappointed at a meal like this before but staff seemed to be running around like crazy and the restaurant was very chaotic! Our interactions consisted of little more than, ‘hello, do you want a photo? Ok, bye!’. Not exactly a great introduction for Trent but he seemed to get into it anyway:

20160917_085743_zpsfyrofrzf.jpg

I’m not one for buffet plate photos but there were the same options I had enjoyed in the past. My buffet breakfast plates always look the same! Fruit, salmon if they have it and cheese! I quite like the brown cheese so I got some of that. Other than the strawberries, the fruit wasn’t very fresh unfortunately.

20160917_083816_zpszlxlfxme.jpg

Peta got similar, sans salmon! And Trent mostly dug into the family platter. He wanted a pastry too which he tried but complained it was cold and stale and then complained that all the other options were donuts…..which we do not view as a breakfast food (just not really a thing in Australia, added to the fact that we are not huge sweet tooths anyway!). He did grab a bagel but barely ate any of it – it was tough and not fresh.

After a few mix-ups, Peta got an Allergy muffin at the very end of the meal (we had asked at the start and been given the wrong thing) she was happy with this, and said that for GF it was quite good:

20160917_090221_zpsjypotomy.jpg

As we walked out, Trent literally asked me how many more buffets we had booked (On day 2!!!! YIKES) and I reassured him that was the worst experience I had had at a Disney buffet. I did remind him that we went for the characters (as I hate standing in character lines when I don’t need too – and Peta with her chronic pain doesn’t tolerate standing in long lines) and he was OK about it. It wasn’t an issue we dwelled on, but I wouldn’t go back for breakfast – and may struggle to convince Trent to go back at all :worried:
And so, the score card:

Food: 1/5

Service: 2/5

Experience: 2/5

Last edited:
Joining! Glad for the most part you enjoyed Citricos, DH and I love it and I've ordered the Arancini on both our visits. That's disappointing about Akershus! We've been there twice and had good experiences, preferring it to CRT but really anywhere can be a hit or miss. Hope Trent had better interactions with characters as the trip went on! Looking forward to reading more :)

Joining! Glad for the most part you enjoyed Citricos, DH and I love it and I've ordered the Arancini on both our visits. That's disappointing about Akershus! We've been there twice and had good experiences, preferring it to CRT but really anywhere can be a hit or miss. Hope Trent had better interactions with characters as the trip went on! Looking forward to reading more :)

I think the problem at Akershus was simply timing - it was so full (probably co-inciding with people wanting to head straight to Frozen Ever After, which had a 3 hour wait when we left the restaurant already!!!) and breakfast just wasn't the meal for us there. When Peta and I have been in the past we quite enjoyed it. In retrospect, I wonder if the quick interactions were good for Trent though, to ease him in to the character meet and greets - you'll see as we go along that his ability to smile and interact more casually improved at each character meal, and with meeting his favourites in the parks (Chewie, Bay-Max)!

September 18th - Day 2 – Snacks!

One of the things I was most excited about having the dining plan this trip was being able to have snacks along the way (including some food and wine samples!) without having to worry about the price. Last time we came we were on a strict budget and I just couldn’t imagine paying $4.99+ for snacks we wanted (the Aussie dollar was quite low and that works out to $7+ - eek!), but I had a list to try and was excited about taking snacks home to friends and family! (which I realise not everyone thinks is good value – but each to their own ;) ).

Since we aren’t huge eaters (Trent excluded!) you will not that, often we have opted for 2 meals a day rather than 3, with space for snacks in between – and that’s exactly what we did.

As we went around the world showcase, I was hungry just before 12 and we just so happened to be going past France! This I was super excited about, and breaking my own rule about eating dessert first I had the Macaroon sandwich in my sights!

These were a snack credit, so Trent and I grab one each:

20160917_121608_zpsdnwgjexn.jpg

20160917_121612_zpsxmpqnm2g.jpg

Macaron Ice Cream Sandwich (Chocolate or Strawberry) at L’Artisan des Glaces - $4.69 each

The verdict? Delicious! Not too sweet but super creamy. I’m not very tolerant of lactose in high doses (read: ice cream, milk shakes, glasses of milk etc.) so I don’t usually eat ice cream but this was worth it!

20160917_121647_zpsu6ip5vx5.jpg

YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Peta had her sights on a different prize though and opted for the first of many mickey bars for the trip!

20160917_123030_zpsuab1v88c.jpg

She had been talking about getting one all morning and of course we had to trek all over the place to find one when she actually wanted one! But, check out how happy she was – definitely worth it!

Feeling a little sick from too much sugar, Trent and I decided to try out something savoury from the food and wine festival. We strolled over to the Italy booth and sampled the:

20160917_124129_zpsuzezjknf.jpg

Pennete alla Parmigiana: Baked Ziti and Chicken Parmigiana, Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese – $6.25

This was made fresh to order as the booths were quite deserted (thanks to a very gloomy looking morning). There was no line and Trent and I were pleasantly surprised, it was well seasoned and we would happily get this again. Not the most adventurous choice, but for a snack credit you really can’t go wrong with something like this!

Later in the afternoon we got a little overheated and headed to the DVC lounge for some air-con before our last fast pass for the day. As we were walking to the lounge I remembered an exciting snack on my list!!!! Buffalo Blue Cheese Popcorn! I LOVE buffalo sauce, buffalo wings, everything buffalo! And this did not disappoint. Not a snack credit as I wanted a refillable bucket - $9.99 and you can choose any of their flavours.

20160917_133513_zps3jbkaka4.jpg

I enjoyed my popcorn in the lounge and Trent got us all cold drinks – Limeade for me and lemonade for Peta and Trent. We enjoyed this and popped in several more times over the course of the trip.

[
20160917_133709_zpsoxbg913v.jpg

We also grabbed these snacks:

[
20160917_135338_zpsrfoyfwmr.jpg

20160917_135340_zpstn8d3reu.jpg

Nothing fancy, but we also stashed some gummy bears for a quick sugar hit in case we needed them another day. This little break and snack definitely helped us finish off the day at EPCOT before heading back to the hotel for a quick pre-dinner swim and some new clothes before dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter