• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Little Confused

coachjoe92

Disney Pilot
OK---Here's the deal. I am new to DVC, but have been a frequent WDW visitor. Our usual MO is to drive in arriving late and staying for a reasonable rate off-site. We usually use Priceline or Travelocity to find a good rate for one night. Then we get up early and check-in our resort (realizing our rooms most likely will not be ready until later), but stowing our luggage and hitting the parks until afternoon.

My Question---Would I be smarter using an AP discount or DVC cash ressie on that first night, rather than stay off-site? We are only there a few hours to grab a little sleep, so it is not that big of a deal, but I was wondering what others think or what your strategy might be. :idea:

Really, it is whatever you are comfortable with. While I don't think I'd spend the $$$ to stay at a mod or deluxe for one night...some people pay for a DVC accomodation.

When we drive, we also usually arrive a day early, this allows extra time for car problems and/or road conditions. We usually spend the first night either off-site or at POP. Now that last minute AP discounts are difficult, if not impossible, to get we'll probably stay off-site.

coachjoe92 said:
OK---Here's the deal. I am new to DVC, but have been a frequent WDW visitor. Our usual MO is to drive in arriving late and staying for a reasonable rate off-site. We usually use Priceline or Travelocity to find a good rate for one night. Then we get up early and check-in our resort (realizing our rooms most likely will not be ready until later), but stowing our luggage and hitting the parks until afternoon.

My Question---Would I be smarter using an AP discount or DVC cash ressie on that first night, rather than stay off-site? We are only there a few hours to grab a little sleep, so it is not that big of a deal, but I was wondering what others think or what your strategy might be. :idea:
If getting requests is relatvely important to you, my advice is to continue your pre-DVC pattern - stay off site cheap the first night. Late arrivals tend to not get requests, and IMHO, DVC rooms aren't cheap even with a discount.

If requests aren't all that big a deal and you'd just rather get settled as soon as you arrive, then paying cash for that first night might make sense. If you tend to arrive on a weeknight (Sunday - THursday), I'd pay for that first night with points.

Best wishes -

We stay at Pop Century the first night then first thing in the am we check-in at our DVC Resort last three visits our rooms have been ready, at 8:30am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter