A little less housekeeping would be nice

Just thought I'd throw my two cents of feedback in after today's show. Great to see OP's feedback taken on board by the team.

I personally felt housekeeping was almost too short today (but understand they talked for nearly 10 mins about the eclipse).

Maybe re. upcoming shows, a graphic could be shown with the weeks show schedule and days? Possibly with a one line summary of the content that week? I do like to know what's coming up so I can decide of it interests me or not.

Maybe a quick mention of Patreon every other week? Alternating with Kevin's DU DIS trip updates possibly? (unless there is something urgent of course).

In my mind, it comes down to the show's charter. Are they adhering to it or has it morphed into something else/additional?

I personally enjoy the "previous" length of the housekeeping segment, but could understand why others may feel it's contributions negligible.

Dreams Unlimited Travel has its own podcast. That is the place where they should be discussing upcoming ABD trips, in my opinion.
Obviously, they want the largest audience when they are promoting something like a cruise or ABD trip. I'm sure the Tuesday show draws a lot more listeners than the Dreams show. Also, the Tuesday show is live. The Dreams show is prerecorded, sometimes weeks in advance, so it would be impossible to provide timely info in that show. If a trip is about to open for booking or is filling up fast, that's time sensitive info.

FWIW, I liked the shorter housekeeping on today's episode. And FWIW, I like Kevin's detailed discussion of the upcoming cruise (and when he discusses ABDs or other cruises). I'm not a DU customer, but I enjoy hearing about Disney/DU related things outside the standard park news. Even if the main intent is to drive business to DU, that's OK with me. I'm not paying anything to watch their show, am watching it on my own free will... and like I said, I enjoy hearing about the cool trips they take/offer.

Last edited:

They cut down on housekeeping so I say thanks to the op and to the team for listening.
Yup - like I said in a previous post - personally - I've got to give them credit for consistently changing things around - when and where they can, due to feedback received - right here on these boards!! :thanks: :disrocks:

Even though I of course know who everybody is, I kind of missed the intros, especially when Pete uses his "pet or custom names" for peeps,. and it makes me smile. Anybody else with me?

Just thought I'd throw my two cents of feedback in after today's show. Great to see OP's feedback taken on board by the team.

I personally felt housekeeping was almost too short today (but understand they talked for nearly 10 mins about the eclipse).

Maybe re. upcoming shows, a graphic could be shown with the weeks show schedule and days? Possibly with a one line summary of the content that week? I do like to know what's coming up so I can decide of it interests me or not.

Maybe a quick mention of Patreon every other week? Alternating with Kevin's DU DIS trip updates possibly? (unless there is something urgent of course).

I really like this idea as I do like to get a bit of an update on the topics for shows (especially like DIS Pop) - but a little graphic sidebar would cover that

Maybe each week they pick one show the highlight or something as well

I can understand what the original poster was saying as week after week of covering what seems like similar information can be a bit much - but nothing feels too short as well, so this could be a compromise

Dreams Unlimited Travel has its own podcast. That is the place where they should be discussing upcoming ABD trips, in my opinion.

You do realize that Dreams Unlimited Travel (an agency selling travel) supports and helps pay the cost of production and salaries of the people on the podcast ...right?

I can't think that you believe all of that is free and we all volunteer.

The money has to come from somewhere.

You do realize that Dreams Unlimited Travel (an agency selling travel) supports and helps pay the cost of production and salaries of the people on the podcast ...right?

FWIW, considering the importance of Dreams Unlimited to keeping the wheels greased, I don't think the DU plugs of sponsorship are quite enough. I think it'd help y'all to add a quick line to remind people that quotes are free and that you work fee-free (to consumer), something I didn't learn until watching the DU FAQ podcast. If I didn't know, I imagine others might not know that working with an agent costs no more than booking on own (I figured consumers paid the fee on top).

Something like "...brought to you by Dreams Unlimited ... helping you book the perfect [insert choice] vacation ... Contact Dreams Unlimited today for a complementary no-obligation quote that is free of agent fees."

I really like this idea as I do like to get a bit of an update on the topics for shows (especially like DIS Pop) - but a little graphic sidebar would cover that

Maybe each week they pick one show the highlight or something as well

I can understand what the original poster was saying as week after week of covering what seems like similar information can be a bit much - but nothing feels too short as well, so this could be a compromise
A sidebar graphic would work perfectly. Also like the idea of a featured show each week. And especially plugs for the new shows they launch regularly (like the Dining Show atm), which obviously need to build an audience.

I too agree with the OP, it was getting long and repetitive each week, and I think Pete was aware of that too. My ideal housekeeping/intro time would be around 7-10 minutes, but that would increase/decrease depending on what there is to diacuss (DU trips, any new shows, T's Twisty Treats updates (lol) etc.)

A sidebar graphic would work perfectly. Also like the idea of a featured show each week. And especially plugs for the new shows they launch regularly (like the Dining Show atm), which obviously need to build an audience.

I too agree with the OP, it was getting long and repetitive each week, and I think Pete was aware of that too. My ideal housekeeping/intro time would be around 7-10 minutes, but that would increase/decrease depending on what there is to diacuss (DU trips, any new shows, T's Twisty Treats updates (lol) etc.)

I thought about this a bit more and the only downside is not everyone watches - so the sidebar graphic obviously doesn't work for them - but the featured show would still and can just mention that info on other shows is on the website and in shownotes for those who do audio only

Obviously this all assumes we get our weekly twisty treat update ;)

I thought about this a bit more and the only downside is not everyone watches - so the sidebar graphic obviously doesn't work for them - but the featured show would still and can just mention that info on other shows is on the website and in shownotes for those who do audio only

Obviously this all assumes we get our weekly twisty treat update ;)
Yeah, that is true. Although the live show audience is in excess of 1000 now, and a lot more watch it afterwards, but understand a lot still listen to the audio only show. Maybe they could say something like "for those of you watching, this week's lineup of shows is on your screen now, and for those listening check out our show notes page at disunplugged.com", and then move on to the 'featured show' of the week. That'd work.

We NEED our weekly Twistee Treat update! ;) (and when it's finally open, I want a weekly review from T of one of the flavors!?)

I actually missed hearing about the other shows this week. I also miss the family style banter. I could listen to someone read news off a teleprompter like the first version, or have a reason to laugh every now and then. I'll even send Theresa my new book, "Conversational Profanity".

Cross referencing is a foundational part of a solid business model. A company not only might use every marketing avenue it can, but it must do it to stay in business let alone thrive/grow.

I can't think that you believe all of that is free and we all volunteer.

The money has to come from somewhere.

Of course I realize this. That is irrelevant to the issue of spending 10+ minutes detailing how many spots are left, how much the trip costs, the itinerary, etc., relating to the next planned DIS cruise or ABD group trip on the DIS UNPLUGGED general podcast "housekeeping" segment. A brief mention would be fine, and then say "for more information, contact DU travel" and list the website where all that information can be found. Or simply discuss this stuff at the END of the show for those who care.

I just listened to the DU ABD Questions and Answer podcast from this week. According to that, these group trips top out at 40 people, max. Excluding whatever team members go on the group trips, we are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 potential people who can book? What percentage of your listeners is that?

You will end up LOSING listeners and potential future DU clients by spending too much time on this sort of thing. Advertising is about reaching a broad audience.

I have been listening for a LONG time. There have been times where I stopped listening for weeks at a time because the self promotion was getting out of hand.

I listen to a lot of Disney podcasts and yours is the only one that spends so much time on this sort of thing. Yours is not the only one who is sponsored by a travel agency and that plans group events/trips either. Most other podcasts will dedicate an entire show to discussions related to an upcoming trip or meet. You have that opportunity with the DU podcast.

Last edited:
If you can't roll with the punches it may not be fun for ya here...
LOL
anigif_enhanced-25128-1442237623-3.gif

You will end up LOSING listeners and potential future DU clients by spending too much time on this sort of thing.

This has certainly not been the case for the past 10 years of the podcast. The audience continues to grow and the number of DU clients continue to grow. Getting the word out that we have these planned trips allows the most people who want to go have the opportunity to do so.

I realize this it's your personal preference and opinion that we not spend time on these type of things. There are a lot of things I would prefer a lot of people don't do.

As you can see from this thread we can't please everyone all the time.

Of course I realize this. That is irrelevant to the issue of spending 10+ minutes detailing how many spots are left, how much the trip costs, the itinerary, etc., relating to the next planned DIS cruise or ABD group trip on the DIS UNPLUGGED general podcast "housekeeping" segment. A brief mention would be fine, and then say "for more information, contact DU travel" and list the website where all that information can be found. Or simply discuss this stuff at the END of the show for those who care.

I just listened to the DU ABD Questions and Answer podcast from this week. According to that, these group trips top out at 40 people, max. Excluding whatever team members go on the group trips, we are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 potential people who can book? What percentage of your listeners is that?

You will end up LOSING listeners and potential future DU clients by spending too much time on this sort of thing. Advertising is about reaching a broad audience.

I have been listening for a LONG time. There have been times where I stopped listening for weeks at a time because the self promotion was getting out of hand.

I listen to a lot of Disney podcasts and yours is the only one that spends so much time on this sort of thing. Yours is not the only one who is sponsored by a travel agency and that plans group events/trips either. Most other podcasts will dedicate an entire show to discussions related to an upcoming trip or meet. You have that opportunity with the DU podcast.

Just a note that for the Viking cruise discussed there are currently 120+ people signed up through Kevin/the DIS and there is room for plenty more ... and if it was not mentioned on a podcast I would not have known about it - and my wife and I did sign up for it (and glad we did then as we got in at one of the lower room rates that is no longer available)

As for other podcasts - I also watch a number and some of them also promote their sponsor multiple times and in the middle of the podcast not just at the beginning, etc. (so different ways to do it)

I mean, at most it takes up 10 mins of the podcast (probably a lot less most weeks) and you know it is at the beginning so you can skip it if you don't want to hear it.

Obviously everyone is different and if it is a big deal to you, so be it - I just don't get why someone talking about a trip for 5-10 mins (max) would cause you to stop listening to an entire podcast that you enjoy :confused3

I realize this it's your personal preference and opinion that we not spend time on these type of things. There are a lot of things I would prefer a lot of people don't do.

John, you seem like a nice guy. However, that response is not the attitude you should want to project as a business owner who finances and participates in a podcast to promote your product.

You SHOULD care what your listeners think. Even when you don't agree with it. We are not talking in general terms here about things that you prefer people don't do. This is a discussion about a portion of your company's show that people find annoying and off putting. This type of "I don't care" attitude makes me think you don't care about your clients either. Even if that's not the case.

A simple "thanks for your feedback" goes a long way.

As John has pointed out above, this is not the case...regardless of what you think.

And it's hardly irrelevant

Also, it seems you may not be listening as closely as you think.

ABD trips do top out at 35 - 40 guests, but I haven't mentioned an ABD trip in many, many weeks. We have none with available space. They are successfully sold out through the end of 2018.

I have mentioned our Viking Italy cruise (March 24th - March 31st 2018) and we currently have 120 guests joining us. Since my announcement Tuesday, I have heard from 13 more couples that didn't know we were doing this and are very interested in joining us. Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com if you are interested in joining us.

Any proceeds from this large and exciting cruise will help keep the podcast and the podcasters going. And it seems to be working...as it has all along.

As you listen to many other Disney podcasts that do things more to you liking...maybe they are a better fit.

I do feel that sometimes on this board people rush to defend any criticism of this show and it can get slightly ridiculous.

That being said... complaining about a travel agency advertising their agency that uses funds from that agency to pay for half a dozen free, commercial-free podcasts is absurd and ungrateful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!