A little overwhelmed could use a hand with Early Dec Trip Plans

A little undecided on Animal Kingdom. Never been so a little confused; is it like a zoo, there don't seem to be many rides?
Maybe instead of buying tickets to AK we could book a dinner or lunch at one of the hotels there to see part of the place without a park admission ; if that is allowed?
Maybe we could stay a night or 2 there in a safari view room, that would be really a cool experience I think. Would it be weird to stay there and never even enter the park?

AK has cool animals, some rides, but also a really cool atmosphere. It's the most "chill" park in my family's opinion. - We slow down and really take in the details there. We love the safari, Expedition Everest, and the newest headliner - Flight of Passage, is amazing!

I understand their are benefits to staying in a on Disney place and would love to stay at Animal Kingdom's Lodge but the cost is far too great to make that happen for more than 1 night ; possibly 2 for us.
Would it be a terrible plan to stay off site at a place with a nice pool for 3-4 nights, and then stay 1-2 nights at AK lodge to even out the nightly costs? Would rent a car in this scenario and eat off property mostly for the days when staying off site.
Or would you rather choose a cheaper Disney resort for the whole stay.
I just read something about trading for Disney Vacation Points could be a way to get into a Disney resort for less money and adds free parking which could be useful.

I see you are looking at renting DVC points. But if you can't find the availability for your dates, then yes, staying offsite for part of the trip and the a night or two at AKL is very doable. We went last December, and we stayed a couple of nights at a moderate resort, left for a couple of nights to spend Christmas with family in Florida, and then went back for a couple of nights at AKL. Here is what we did, on a thread I wrote earlier this year: Trip Report

And yes, even if you don't stay there, you can eat at the resort and see the animals. We love Boma! If you are near the window, you can see the animals while you're eating, but you can also walk out on the observation decks before or after. You will be allowed to park for free for, I think, 3 hours if you have an ADR (Disney version of restaurant reservations) booked. Here is a look at Boma: restaurant description on Disney website

Think I will leave Hollywood Studios, Universal Studios and the Disney Water Parks out of the discussion but would be willing to listen to arguments for Universal as I have never been.

I agree with leaving HS out if you aren't interested in it. It will still be wicked crowded since they are opening a new area in September.

I would consider Universal Studios IF anyone in your family is a big Harry potter fan, and you're not planning on coming back to Orlando, but otherwise, it's expensive to to that as a one-day add on. (When we've gone, we've stayed there.)

Since you'll have a car, have you considered driving over to Kennedy Space Center? (I think it's just over an hour.) It's always been on our "someday we should" list to get over there, but we haven't yet. Here is their website:

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

Last edited:
It's important to remember that as overwhelming as all the information here and other sites can be, you don't need a perfectly planned trip to have a good time at Disney! Part of the fun is just exploring the parks and seeing things you've never seen before. THEN when you've got a few trips under your belt you can join the planners and zero-in on just the things you enjoy.

Didn't see too many comments about the pool yet. December can be "cool" by Florida standards, but it really depends on where you're coming from. If you're from a colder climate and the temperatures back home are already in the 30s or 40s before you come down, then even a 70-degree December day in Florida is going to feel pretty warm. There'll be lots of Canadians still in the pools. Some hotels/resorts have heated pools, which helps. The only thing about December that I notice compared to other months is significantly earlier sunset. Could be a blessing if you're a family that burns instead of tans.

So many helpful posts, I will take time to respond more but just wanted to say thank you now.
I have planned much more complicated trips before, but those locations didn't have the wealth of information on the web nor a source of knowledgeable folks willing to share, so the planning was different. I think I fell into the trap like many do and thought, a theme park vacation ; this one will take me a couple of hours to plan and be done.

As my learning continues I realized I was misreading the availability of DVC rentals ; and the places I thought were available were only Partially Available and that ended up being 1 night. I may try a 3rd party service but assume they are limited to the availability calendar for any dates less than 7 months out?
I feel I am up to speed on most things now.

So back to my original plan most likely of staying off site or keeper on site place for the first 3-4 nights and then spend 2 with a savannah view room at AKL.
I think check in day there could be a lounge enjoy the resort itself day, use it the next day to go to the AK park ; and then on check out day we can use the resort in the morning before we have to check out around 11. That gives us the most time at the resort we are buying big money to stay in.
The off site stay can be for the all day Epcot, MK where we will be out of the room all day anyway.
The sun sets so early I feel like we wont have much in the room/resort time to see anything as it will be dark by the time we get to our room each day.
Think I may try to add a 6th night to give us an open one to go back to MK a 2nd day, go to a water park if nice or just more spare time to be able to see the different resorts and their Christmas decorations. Hard to think of Christmas decorations now but it sounds like something we would enjoy.

We're staying at Wilderness Lodge which is a deluxe. I went through a travel agency to save 40% off Disney's rack rates. It even beat their best summer offer and I paid with Disney Gift Cards I bought at 14% off, room only, 4 night stay. I used my husbands Visa referral earned $250 for the purchase of our gift cards.
Much appreciate all of the wisdom FoxC63
The travel agency you used did they book you a normal hotel room for less, not a timeshare?
Could you PM me the name of the agent, might be worth a try for me to get more time in AKL if they can save money over the list rates.
I tried to use the Chase Travel Portal to see if I could use some points for booking AK ; but it looks like although they use the Expedia portal they do not have any Disney hotels on the Chase side ; so have no found a way to get anything less than full rack rate for a savannah view room in AK.

One of the Disney Springs hotels with nice pools and other amenities sound good for the rest of our time, The Wyndham Garden Lake is quite affordable on my dates so could be a top option. I also saw listings for what look like condos within the Bonnet Creek complex ; so will research both of those options.
I know I could go even cheaper with staying somewhere outside of the gates. Have stayed in the outside International Drive area before, so know what that is like. Definitely not the same experience, no Disney transport but if you have a car it does offer a good amount of freedom, makes Discovery Cove an easier option if we decide to do that and unlimited dining options at all price ranges so need to weigh the pros and cons for those non AK nights.

The collectable cards sound like something my daughter would enjoy.

Last edited:

I cannot PM you at this time, you are too new to the system. It is not a time share.

Many use Uber / Lyft for getting around these days so staying offsite is really becoming popular. If you rent a car you are subject to parking fees and that too needs to be added into the cost of your resort when comparing prices. Also note Disney has recently increased these fees.

Last edited:

AK has cool animals, some rides, but also a really cool atmosphere. It's the most "chill" park in my family's opinion. - We slow down and really take in the details there. We love the safari, Expedition Everest, and the newest headliner - Flight of Passage, is amazing!

I see you are looking at renting DVC points. But if you can't find the availability for your dates, then yes, staying offsite for part of the trip and the a night or two at AKL is very doable. We went last December, and we stayed a couple of nights at a moderate resort, left for a couple of nights to spend Christmas with family in Florida, and then went back for a couple of nights at AKL. Here is what we did, on a thread I wrote earlier this year: Trip Report

And yes, even if you don't stay there, you can eat at the resort and see the animals. We love Boma! If you are near the window, you can see the animals while you're eating, but you can also walk out on the observation decks before or after. You will be allowed to park for free for, I think, 3 hours if you have an ADR (Disney version of restaurant reservations) booked. Here is a look at Boma: restaurant description on Disney website

I agree with leaving HS out if you aren't interested in it. It will still be wicked crowded since they are opening a new area in September.

I would consider Universal Studios IF anyone in your family is a big Harry potter fan, and you're not planning on coming back to Orlando, but otherwise, it's expensive to to that as a one-day add on. (When we've gone, we've stayed there.)

Since you'll have a car, have you considered driving over to Kennedy Space Center? (I think it's just over an hour.) It's always been on our "someday we should" list to get over there, but we haven't yet. Here is their website:

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/
Pollyanna,
Really enjoyed your trip report, thank you for sharing!
The nighttime safari ride sounds great, how does one sign up for that?

Also the Castle with the Holiday Lights looks incredible! I hope they have it decorated by the time we arrive.

Pollyanna,
Really enjoyed your trip report, thank you for sharing!
The nighttime safari ride sounds great, how does one sign up for that?

Also the Castle with the Holiday Lights looks incredible! I hope they have it decorated by the time we arrive.

The castle should definitely be decorated when you are there!

I booked the night safari over the phone, and I think I have the number in my Disney binder, but I’m not home right now. I’ll check when I can and try to post back.

How were you able to book this as a package without a room?

"So wife insisted on her b-day I book dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table as well as a stop beforehand at the Bibbity Boop Boutique which I did.
That I already have booked and paid for. Cost was more than expected as on her b-day I could only get a Royal Table dinner reservation as part of a package that also includes priority firework viewing and dessert after party.
I feel like we will be full from the dinner and not desire to eat dessert at a late hour so quite wasteful but had no choice."

Hmm, I'm wondering if this can be done cheaper. You can always purchase a dress from shopdisney. They often have 20-25% off coupon, plus use a cash back portal and credit card that pays you back might be better option.

Date of this event? I'm assuming at Magic Kingdom and not Disney Springs.

How were you able to book this as a package without a room?

"So wife insisted on her b-day I book dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table as well as a stop beforehand at the Bibbity Boop Boutique which I did.
That I already have booked and paid for. Cost was more than expected as on her b-day I could only get a Royal Table dinner reservation as part of a package that also includes priority firework viewing and dessert after party.
I feel like we will be full from the dinner and not desire to eat dessert at a late hour so quite wasteful but had no choice."

Hmm, I'm wondering if this can be done cheaper. You can always purchase a dress from shopdisney. They often have 20-25% off coupon, plus use a cash back portal and credit card that pays you back might be better option.

Date of this event? I'm assuming at Magic Kingdom and not Disney Springs.

I went online and called but was told on 12/9 they had no dinner reservations available for the Royal Table unless I booked this package:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cinderella-royal-table-package/On the day before and day after they did have dinner reservations available for multiple times so I think I called early enough they are just trying to get people to book this more expensive option on certain nights when it is offered.
Looks like it is not possible on the Disney Meal Plan to book this package, only with prepaid reservations ; seems to be a new package offer.
I think they are offering it in the Winter on the nights when there is no Mickey Christmas Parade only.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to get a full picture...

So one day down but still leaves me needing to plan the rest of the time.
First step seems to be deciding on the parks.
Have 1 day in Magic Kingdom planned ; is that enough for that park? Maybe do the Mickey Xmas Parade night the day before her b-day?
The parade seems overpriced for what it is in, not sure if all of the rides are open and worry it will be too late for our daughter so we won't get good value.
Is it better to plan a 2nd full day at Magic Kingdom instead?

So you're attending MVMCP, on what day? Have you purchased the special event tickets? Rides are open all night long until park close so no worries there, provided you have the event ticket.

If you plan on rising up with the sun to spend a full day at the park you will be tired. All of you. You need to break this day down so it flows.

Pretty good behind a lens myself. Hobby, turned obsession, now part time profession though I don't have enough time for it and turn down any sort of portrait work.
Anyway I will plan on bringing my camera and taking photos myself of our daughter for our memories. I will enjoy it more that way and not very fond of props like backgrounds, the digital elements added, etc...

Pretty good behind a lens myself. Hobby, turned obsession, now part time profession though I don't have enough time for it and turn down any sort of portrait work.
Anyway I will plan on bringing my camera and taking photos myself of our daughter for our memories. I will enjoy it more that way and not very fond of props like backgrounds, the digital elements added, etc...

Good on you! Just note tripods and selfie sticks are not allowed in the parks. You also have the ability to ask CM's and Photopass Photographers to take pictures for you.

I went online and called but was told on 12/9 they had no dinner reservations available for the Royal Table unless I booked this package:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cinderella-royal-table-package/On the day before and day after they did have dinner reservations available for multiple times so I think I called early enough they are just trying to get people to book this more expensive option on certain nights when it is offered.
Looks like it is not possible on the Disney Meal Plan to book this package, only with prepaid reservations ; seems to be a new package offer.
I think they are offering it in the Winter on the nights when there is no Mickey Christmas Parade only.

Hopefully you booked the earliest dinner reservation which would give you more time to digest. I see the earliest is available at 5:35.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter