A LIVE Trip Report, 3/28-4/4, Spring Break Fun!! Completed :)

Blue man group was fun! Although, it was pouring cats and dogs before the show so we got a bit wet on our walk over. But it was worth it.

The show started at 7 and let out at around 8:40. A tip, while they do let you bring food/drink in the theater there are no cup holders in the seats. I've seen it before and this show was very similar, a few new jokes but a lot of the same. My kids were the perfect age for it.

After the show we went into the parks. There was a very convenient entrance by Blue Man. We rode the Minion ride and Transformers. Both with almost no wait. These were the only two rides in this park we had not ridden, so now we've got them all (well at least until Fast & Furious opens). We do have quite a few left to ride in IOA.

20180401_231250-678x497.jpg

After the rides it was 9:30 so we walked over to Diagon Alley because DS2 wanted to cast 3 spells he didn't get a chance to try yet. DS1 and I rode Gringotts.

The woman manning the section where the goblin reads the safety rules was quite funny. She lip synced his entire speech matching his movements and everything.

After we got off the ride we went and found the rest of our family. Finn was over the moon because he was the only one who could get the lights in the lamp shop to turn on.

Security guards started nicely ushering folks out around 10:20.

I am seriously exhausted and we decided no early rising tomorrow. We decided to play tomorrow by ear. Good night all!

Just don’t sleep to noon tomorrow!

It’s great to do practically a walk on those two rides

Perfect timing for you this evening

Great trip report! I am enjoying reading along!

I *love* the Horror Make Up show and think it is the best show I've ever seen at any theme park. If you get a chance, stop by and ask if/when the two female hosts will be there. IMO they are funnier than the men and it would be fun for you guys to compare and see what you think.

Voodoo donuts was the bomb! Really excellent. We tried several and I thought the maple bacon was absolutely amazing. The voodoo doll was good also.

Looking forward to continuing to read along!

So much fun!! I love your report and the wonderful family photos. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Sounds like you are having such a great time!

Blue Man group sounds fun! We are considering going in September- I'd love to know where your seat were and if you liked them.

Oh My!! DH is so brave! Scorpions??? I've never seen the Fear Factor show- was it worth seeing? Love Blue Man group. We saw it locally- I was wondering if it's much better in Orlando?
Easter egg hunt at HRH looks awesome!!

Nice update.......

Hope you got to sleep late today and had a good rest........

Just don’t sleep to noon tomorrow!

It’s great to do practically a walk on those two rides

Perfect timing for you this evening

Yes it was perfect timing!!! We, thankfully did manage to wake up before noon :)

Great trip report! I am enjoying reading along!

I *love* the Horror Make Up show and think it is the best show I've ever seen at any theme park. If you get a chance, stop by and ask if/when the two female hosts will be there. IMO they are funnier than the men and it would be fun for you guys to compare and see what you think.

Voodoo donuts was the bomb! Really excellent. We tried several and I thought the maple bacon was absolutely amazing. The voodoo doll was good also.

Looking forward to continuing to read along!

Good suggestion on the Horror Make Up Show. I will try to ask tomorrow.

Sounds like you are having such a great time!

Blue Man group sounds fun! We are considering going in September- I'd love to know where your seat were and if you liked them.

We were in the first row of the second section, which I picked due to price. If you decide on this section I'd actually pick the second row as that is where the risers start. But the better seats are in the front section. The Blue Men seemed to spend more time on the left side (when facing the stage) of the theater. My youngest was bummed he didn't get to hit one of the balls, because people tend to hit forward they concentrated towards the front of the stage.

Oh My!! DH is so brave! Scorpions??? I've never seen the Fear Factor show- was it worth seeing? Love Blue Man group. We saw it locally- I was wondering if it's much better in Orlando?
Easter egg hunt at HRH looks awesome!!

Fear Factor is worth seeing. Especially mid-day when its hot.

I liked Blue Man Group, but didn't find it to be better then the show we saw in our home town.

Nice update.......

Hope you got to sleep late today and had a good rest........
Thanks!! We are much better rested today. Sometimes that extra hour is all you need!

So today with no alarms we woke up at 7:45. Too late to do early entry at the parks but early enough to do Volcano Bay again!! This time we felt likes pros and had an even better day than last time.

I'll post more on it later, but first a live pic. 20180402_152649-816x612.jpg

We are on the bus back to HRH. We plan to freshen up then head over to Toothsome. DS1 has been really looking forward to this so I hope it lives up to his expectations!!

Today at Volcano Bay was awesome. When we planned this vacation I wasn't sure if we were going to make it there once, but as it turns out we went there twice. But because of that we've only used the HRH pool once! On our last Universal vacation we swam at Portifino every day, so it is a big difference.

So today I felt like a pro. We got to the bus stop early and were dropped off at the WP at around 9:05. We grabbed the same chairs we had last time, as we knew we liked them near the wave pool and we knew the boys would remember where they were. This time we understood the ride system better and which rides to hit early. So we rode Krakatau right away, the scanned it again while we did a walk on ride on the Taniwha tubes. We then did both sides of the Maku Puihi raft rides. By then it was time to ride Krakatau a second time. We then scanned Honu Ika Moana. We went around the fearless rivers, then spent some time in the wave pool and then came back to ride that ride.

I really liked the Taniwha tubes, but we only rode them once in the morning because while they were at ride it now most of the day when we tried to ride them later in the day we realized the line was 30 mins long and honestly they weren't THAT good.

The younger two did the Punga racers a few times. My older DS tried to do the drop slides but they were down for a bit, and when he looked later the wait time was too high. We did both sides of the Maku Puihi raft rides again later in the day. The younger two spent some time in the wave pool and larger play area while DS1 and DH slept in the sun on our loungers I wasn't in a lounging mood today so I mostly hung w/ the younger two doing whatever they wanted.

I was smart this time and got lunch at 11:30 when I saw the line was still short. We split two pizzas which was fine for us since we knew we'd have a big dinner.

Without an express pass I do think it is hard to ride all the rides at this park in one day during busier times, or even two days as we tried to do some of the rides and they were down or not open when we expected them to be and then when you look later the ride waits were just too high. But, perhaps you could do it if you stayed til park close, which we generally don't.

We left the waterpark at around 3 and there were signs saying the park was at capacity and therefore you wouldn't be allowed to return. I found that interesting since what if you paid for the day and needed to leave and come back? Not our issue though.

To compare our hotel rooms from last time. At both PBH and HRH we chose a deluxe room as we need a bit more space. At PBH we had a couple chairs and small table and two queen beds. They put a cot between the two queens for the 5th bed as that was the only place it fit. It was a bit annoying not being able to walk between the beds. At HRH you get two full beds, but a sofa bed that pulls out to a queen size. The fulls work for us as DH and I just each sleep w/ one of the younger two and we let DS1 have the pull out to himself. It is still easy to walk around the room w/ the sofa bed pulled out, in fact we have not put it away all week. For a family of 5 I like the sleeping quarters of the HRH deluxe better.

I also like the bathroom layout better at HRH. Having a sink, toliet, shower in one room, and another sink right outside that has proven very helpful this week. I also like that there is a little counter area in the living room w/ two chairs as it makes it easier to find spots to the family to sit when eating breakfast in the room. And I like that the closet layout of the HRH lay out better, its a bit hidden so it was nice when I wanted to make Easter baskets w/o the kids seeing them.

I have found the location of HRH to be way more convenient then PBH. There were many nights at PBH we just didn't want to go back to the parks as it took too much time, so instead we would swim and watch a movie by the pool. This time at HRH we haven't sayed and watched a single pool movie, crazy.

However, I do like the Portifino pool better. And I like walking around the grounds and the way it feels. I'd be happy to stay at both, but having the knowledge I now have I'd pick HRH over PBH if both were available and not hugely diff in price.

Last edited:
The short walk from hrh or rph is what i like too!

Hopefully your next trip you will score a queen deluxe at hrh.
There are not many of them but sweet it is when you can get one.
I've had the 2Q deluxe before and loved it.

OK dinner, Toothsome!! Only a 10 min table wait, we got there at 4:50.
20180402_165910-1008x756.jpg
20180402_172416-1008x756.jpg
20180402_172400-1612x1209.jpg
We ordered:

Me- Fetticine Alfredo- it was awful. Seriously just looked bad. I rarely order this as I know how bad it is for me, but when I do I want it to be good, so I was very disappointed in it.
DH- May contain bacon burger w/ fries. This looked really good and DH said it was really good
DS1- Same as DH except w/ kettle chips. He also really liked it.
DS2- Lump crab mac & cheese. Except it wasn't macaroni noodles. I would say this was ok, it was def better then the fetticine alfredo, but not great. Maybe at this place you should stick to burgers.
DS3- Chicken fingers kids meal. This was good, but really how could you get this wrong?

I also ordered one of their brandy old fasioneds, which was good and strong, and DH had two chocolate stouts, he really liked them.

The characters did visit our table, it was quite cute. The interactions was neat.
20180402_175038-1008x756.jpg
For Dessert we ordered two sundaes and two shakes. We had:
1) Some type of banana sundae
2) A sundae called "May Contain Nuts"
3) A key lime shake
4) A celebration shake.
20180402_183112-756x1008.jpg 20180402_183056-756x1008.jpg 20180402_183052-756x1008.jpg 20180402_183133-756x1008.jpg
In our opinion the sundae's tasted way better than the shakes. We were def stuffed. It was also an expensive meal, but not as much as the HRH Easter buffet ;)

After Toothsome we hit IOA. DS3 really wanted to ride Dr. Doom Fearfall, which surprised me, but he talked about it all day. So off we went. But first, we decided to ride Spiderman. We had bad luck w/ this ride on our last trip as it broke down mid-line two out of the three times we tried to ride it so we were happy it was a fairly short wait. I do really like this ride, its long and well done.

Then next, what DS3 had been talking about all day, Fearfall. So for this ride you have to 52" and DS3 convinced me he was tall enough, so I felt really bad when it was determined that he was just shy of 52" and deemed too short to ride :( But he took the news ok, maybe next year. DS1 and I had a go. It is a very neat ride. Very, very fast, but you get a great view of the park. The sun was just setting so it was a great view.

We got off this ride and spent a bit of time walking through Toon Lagoon.
20180402_194504-756x1008.jpg 20180402_194632-756x1008.jpg

Then it started raining, lightly at first, then heavier. DS1 really wanted to ride Kong as we hadn't yet so we made our way into that ride. DS3 was a bit scared of this one, but only a little bit. He did ride it and enjoyed it.
20180402_195815-756x1008.jpg

Even w/ EP the line for Kong was a bit lengthy. There are a number of hallways and you keep thinking you are getting to the ride, but nope its another hallway. DS1 jokingly said "What if this is the ride... ha, what is your worst fear at a themepark, never getting to the ride!". Anyway, we did finally get to ride it. The 3D effects are quite neat.

After this ride the boys really wanted to head back to the hotel. We walked out through the IOA side and it was neat to see Suess land at night, I'm not sure I'd ever seen it all lit up. I wanted to go see the castle lit up, but the kids were tired and we thought we could still do this tomorrow, although the boys have been talking about watching a pool side movie so perhaps we won't get to see it... we will have to see how tomorrow goes. I also thought it was cool that they had the Christmas shop all dressed up in Christmas lights :)
20180402_205438-756x1008.jpg

Citywalk was quite crowded when we were leaving. The boys wanted to take the boat and we were a bit unlucky when waiting as we got there just as the HRH boat was pulling out, but no worries, 8 minutes later it was right back at the dock to take us home. We only have 1 and 1/2 days left. This vacation has gone too fast.

Last edited:
Fabulous couple of days......and some lovely pictures. Shame your DS didn't get on Doom.........it is fabulous....short, but fabulous.....and yes the view is amazing.

Sorry your meal wasn't great at Toothsome.......my dh loved his burger there too but my meal was awful.......

Are the dive in movies back on?

I know they stopped them way back last year along with movies in Club Lounges in all the Loews hotels.......legal issues was the reason given publicly. But they weren't back on in March when we were there.

I missed them.

Fabulous couple of days......and some lovely pictures. Shame your DS didn't get on Doom.........it is fabulous....short, but fabulous.....and yes the view is amazing.

Sorry your meal wasn't great at Toothsome.......my dh loved his burger there too but my meal was awful.......

Are the dive in movies back on?

I know they stopped them way back last year along with movies in Club Lounges in all the Loews hotels.......legal issues was the reason given publicly. But they weren't back on in March when we were there.

I missed them.

Oh no! I guess I just assumed they had movies. I didn't really ask. I'll set my kids expectations. That is a shame as when my kids were younger they loved it. You'd think they'd be able to do Universal movies.

Two days at Volcano Bay- nice!!

Too bad about Toothsome dinner! I haven't read a lot of good things about the food- but the desserts get high marks by all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter