A note about special order cakes.

So disappointing! I was planning to surprise my husband with a cake when we went for his birthday in September ... but I could make something more "special" at home! So glad you posted this!

Just a note that if you note in your dinning reservations you'll most likely get a little mickey Mouse mouse cake. It's not very big( personal size) but it's very rich. I took me 4 sittings to eat it. I had tea at Steakhouse55 last year for my birthday when I made the reservation they noted it was my birthday and I got a cute little mickey cake(will it's really a mouse) with a candle and everything at not additional cost.

Does anyone know if there’s a bakery nearby that I’d be able to order a cake from? We’re going in September for my son’s second birthday and I was really excited about ordering the Cars cake since he’s obsessed right now.

If an ice cream cake will do, there is a Cold Stone Creamery across the street from the parks on Harbor. They might do custom cakes. There are supermarkets near the parks (about a 10 minute drive away) that probably would do a Cars themed cake. I think there is a Vons, Ralphs, and a Walmart supermarket -- all within a close drive.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there’s a bakery nearby that I’d be able to order a cake from? We’re going in September for my son’s second birthday and I was really excited about ordering the Cars cake since he’s obsessed right now.

Found it!

My recommendation is to order from local bakery SusieCakes in Costa Mesa. They don’t do fondant-covered cakes, but they do make the best, moistest old-fashioned buttercream cakes—and they taste WAY better than any cake I’ve ever had at Disneyland. If you order directly from SusieCakes, the delivery fee will set you back $35. But if you use the app/website Postmates, the delivery fee is closer to $15.

Just to note: SusieCakes is not cheap, so for those looking for a less expensive option, call the supermarkets listed above, the Target on Harbor in Garden Grove (don't know if they do cakes, but it can't hurt to ask), and the Walmart in Fullerton to compare prices.

Last edited:
I got a recommendation of Lincoln Bakery that is nearby and does delivery for a reasonable rate. I only looked at their Facebook page and good pics and reviews. Also had a friend get a cake at a local Walmart and did Uber to pick it up and bring back to DLH for a birthday celebration. Going in December and have a 10th bday to celebrate but heard not many positive things about the Disney special order cakes but this really confirms -- will be going off-site to get the cake.

Found it!

My recommendation is to order from local bakery SusieCakes in Costa Mesa. They don’t do fondant-covered cakes, but they do make the best, moistest old-fashioned buttercream cakes—and they taste WAY better than any cake I’ve ever had at Disneyland. If you order directly from SusieCakes, the delivery fee will set you back $35. But if you use the app/website Postmates, the delivery fee is closer to $15.
Omg!!! SusieCakes is my absolute FAVORITE!!! They don’t do any decorating but you could purchase a cake topper and bring it with you. Their cakes and cupcakes (and cookies and pies) are sooooooooo good!

Omg!!! SusieCakes is my absolute FAVORITE!!! They don’t do any decorating but you could purchase a cake topper and bring it with you. Their cakes and cupcakes (and cookies and pies) are sooooooooo good!

Okay now I really want to order on my next trip haha

We are celebrating my DGD 4th birthday at Goofy's Kitchen and when I called yesterday to order a custom cake, like we always have in the past, I too was told that the custom cakes now start at $200 and go up from there. The Cast Member that I was speaking to said that this changed on July 11th because the Head Baker was tired of guests ordering cakes and not showing up for the reservations and the cake. She went on to tell me that there is a warehouse full of cakes that were not picked up ( not sure about that one!) In the past when we have had custom cakes, the cake was delivered to which ever restaurant and always added to our check along with the 18% gratuity!

She did tell me that you have two options:

1. Mention to your server that you are celebrating a birthday and the guest will still receive a frosted cupcake and candle complimentary.

2. You can order the Mickey Dome Cake for $45. Chocolate or Vanilla, no special requests, no writing . If you choose not to pre-order that is an option as well, the restaurants will have a limited number of cake available per day but not guaranteed.

3. Cakes are allowed to be brought to the hotel restaurants, just not into the parks . The restaurant will not store the cake during dinner, it must stay at the table. They will however bring extra plates and forks.

It saddens me that the little things have changed so much. Whoever decides to order a cake for $200+ I hope there is a lot of Sparkling Pixie Dust!

We are celebrating my DGD 4th birthday at Goofy's Kitchen and when I called yesterday to order a custom cake, like we always have in the past, I too was told that the custom cakes now start at $200 and go up from there. The Cast Member that I was speaking to said that this changed on July 11th because the Head Baker was tired of guests ordering cakes and not showing up for the reservations and the cake. She went on to tell me that there is a warehouse full of cakes that were not picked up ( not sure about that one!) In the past when we have had custom cakes, the cake was delivered to which ever restaurant and always added to our check along with the 18% gratuity!

She did tell me that you have two options:

1. Mention to your server that you are celebrating a birthday and the guest will still receive a frosted cupcake and candle complimentary.

2. You can order the Mickey Dome Cake for $45. Chocolate or Vanilla, no special requests, no writing . If you choose not to pre-order that is an option as well, the restaurants will have a limited number of cake available per day but not guaranteed.

3. Cakes are allowed to be brought to the hotel restaurants, just not into the parks . The restaurant will not store the cake during dinner, it must stay at the table. They will however bring extra plates and forks.

It saddens me that the little things have changed so much. Whoever decides to order a cake for $200+ I hope there is a lot of Sparkling Pixie Dust!

If this is really the reasons it’s dumb. A simple fix is to change quests upfront for the cakes like the WOC dessert party with no refund. I’m usually very pro Disney and defend them, but this decision erks me.

I’m still a bit upset about our situation (I’m the op) I look at the pictures and video now and the cake just grabs my attention for all the wrong reasons.

The thing is.. I may have very well paid the $200 for the cake I wanted. They didn’t even contact me.

I finally got this written up.

Disney,

On July 5, 2019 my family and I had reservations at 11am for Donald’s seaside breakfast. Reservation under ***. A week or so before I had called to special order a cake. My kids had chose going to Disneyland (all the way from Iowa) instead of having a birthday party or presents. So it was special. I was given choices of cakes, flavor, and filling. I chose a Mickey Mouse cake, vanilla with berry filling. I was told my kids name would be on it. I was so excited! My kids would get a cake from Mickey with their names!

Imagine my surprise when out came a generic, covered only in white chocolate, no names, and not even a flavored caked came out. I pretended along with the kids and we still celebrated and enjoyed our brunch.

I spoke to the manager and the chef. I was then told that this was a permanent change to the special order cakes and the one I had ordered was no longer available. I received no phone call. No update. Not anything to inform me of this before the other cake arrived at the table. I now know that the custom cakes are still available but for much more money. I WOULD HAVE PAID THE DIFFERENCE to get the cake I wanted.

Your chef really tried to make it right and he was amazing and is a shinning example of Disney magic.

I know it’s just cake. But you took a moment from me. A moment I wanted to see the surprise look on my kids faces when they saw a Mickey cake with their names on it! Instead the moment was a surprise of my own.

We love Disneyland, but we aren’t lucky enough to visit often. I’m a teacher and my husband is a stay at home dad/ veteran. We have to save and like I mentioned, my kids had to choose Disney over other costly things to get to go.

This was the first time I have felt let down by Disneyland.

*******, One of your biggest fans.

I finally got this written up.

Disney,

On July 5, 2019 my family and I had reservations at 11am for Donald’s seaside breakfast. Reservation under ***. A week or so before I had called to special order a cake. My kids had chose going to Disneyland (all the way from Iowa) instead of having a birthday party or presents. So it was special. I was given choices of cakes, flavor, and filling. I chose a Mickey Mouse cake, vanilla with berry filling. I was told my kids name would be on it. I was so excited! My kids would get a cake from Mickey with their names!

Imagine my surprise when out came a generic, covered only in white chocolate, no names, and not even a flavored caked came out. I pretended along with the kids and we still celebrated and enjoyed our brunch.

I spoke to the manager and the chef. I was then told that this was a permanent change to the special order cakes and the one I had ordered was no longer available. I received no phone call. No update. Not anything to inform me of this before the other cake arrived at the table. I now know that the custom cakes are still available but for much more money. I WOULD HAVE PAID THE DIFFERENCE to get the cake I wanted.

Your chef really tried to make it right and he was amazing and is a shinning example of Disney magic.

I know it’s just cake. But you took a moment from me. A moment I wanted to see the surprise look on my kids faces when they saw a Mickey cake with their names on it! Instead the moment was a surprise of my own.

We love Disneyland, but we aren’t lucky enough to visit often. I’m a teacher and my husband is a stay at home dad/ veteran. We have to save and like I mentioned, my kids had to choose Disney over other costly things to get to go.

This was the first time I have felt let down by Disneyland.

*******, One of your biggest fans.
I love your letter. I hope they respond. I don’t like the change, but for those caught with pending orders, the not contacting you in advance is definitely not good customer service! I hope they respond and take your feedback to heart!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!