A question for the Budget Board

Should we add a Community Sub Forum to the Budget Board?

• Yes, I want a community sub-forum

• No, I like the Budget Board the way it is now.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think u should keep it and enforce the rules if possible. Maybe re direct people that are lost.

Yes, and while we're at it, bring aboard a "dedicated moderator", as the Budget Board, one of the most-trafficked boards on TheDIS, could benefit from having a constant moderator presence (the current moderator, "aka-mad4themouse", hasn't been heard from on TheDIS in a few years, and I think it's time to move on, since that person has obviously done the same).

For years this forum has moved from Disney trip financial to financial in general and then to completely :offtopic: discussions. Possibly the forum moderators should be more aggressive in moving the OT threads into the CB instead of having a Budget CB.

I think that keeping it to allow any financial-related discussions is a good idea.

I agree

Yes, and while we're at it, bring aboard a "dedicated moderator", as the Budget Board, one of the most-trafficked boards on TheDIS, could benefit from having a constant moderator presence (the current moderator, "aka-mad4themouse", hasn't been heard from on TheDIS in a few years, and I think it's time to move on, since that person has obviously done the same).

A tradition like no other

Its been awhile since I've been on the disboards. I used to be here a lot but financial circumstances made Disney an unreasonable choice. I thought I'd start factoring in Disney again but knew I'd need suggestions from the budget board to help me along. A quick glance at the board told me there are topics that need to be moved to the community board. As some one mentioned previously, if the original topic does not seek monetary advice of any kind it should be moved to where it does belong...frequently the community board.

All that is required is a moderator. I really dont think this board needs to be split but if it is it should be split between budgeting tips for Disney and generally family budgeting (tips, tricks, coupons, whatever).

If a person really wants to interact with their "family" on the budget board on off topic items they can go ahead and post it there and the the "family" can follow the post to another location. And yes they will have to deal with the "strangers" that frequent the other forum. As a result maybe their "family" will grow.

I like the Budget Forum exactly the way it is. I don't think we need subforums.

Thank you for asking for our input.

Maddle

Right now, I think this board needs a subforum just for Christmas gifts - with one thread for each age/group.

Most of those threads - and there are quite a few - aren't even about budget. They're just "what should I buy?" or "what are you buying?".

I love his forum when ever I have any questions they are always kind and reply withouot making me feel foolish.

Love you guys!

Thanks for all your help these past years!

Here is the evolution of this board from the Early Days till now and why it is what is now.

It start as a way to learn about pinching every penny out of Mickey that you could save. Then it went from saving to how to scam every penny out of Disney. That was Aggrievedly Frown on to the point of flaming. Mod's then suggested the board switch to ways to save money at home that all board member could use. Hence the Target sale, saving at Walmart, Dollar Store, and Saving on Gift giving sales, then Black Friday, and Black Savings Day Etiquette, Cyber Monday Sales, and now Small Store Hometown Saturdays. The budget Board helps find new washer, dryers, freezers, refrigerators, down to shoes for the kids on sale, to save those pennys for Disney Trips for every budget!!!

We do worry about our DIS friends, in storms, sickness, the dreaded Disney Trip Cancellations, we send prayers, pixie dust magic, and our friendship.

WE welcome new DIS'ers and Returning DIS'ers, we share our experience, how we saved up, what deals to look,and. how to save while at Disney Parks.

If there HAS to be a sub-board Please make it a Disney Trip Savings Budget, That would split whose looking just for Trip Savings and give them what they want.

I do not want a Community Board. I'm always planning a trip, so I never go to any of the Community Boards on the DIS.

I don't really care if the non-budget threads went to the current community board or to a new budget community board. But, I would like to see this forum be just budget related threads.

I loved this board in the beginning, but it strays so far from the topic on so many levels I seldom visit and when I do, I seldom find "budget" info. I am a DVC member who while not on a thight budget since the kids are grown and we are blessed with a good retirement, however, I have always been frugal and love frugal ideas for both disney and general life planning. Using those ideas we have added so many special things to our trips like birthday fireworks crusies and outstanding events some that are no longer available. Planning and savings tips are the best!

For WDW and Disneyland DEALS I always to www.MouseSavers.com. I can work out my own budget from those deals.

Airfare - has board
park passes - www.MouseSavers.com -AAA
hotel - has a board - www.MouseSavers.com -AAA - Entertainment Book
ground transport - has a board
food costs - you know your own needs
and souvenirs - you can set your own limits

usually for 1/2 the cost of booking thru Disney reservations

I think it is very similar here to the disunplugged board. People have gotten to know each other and if they post to the reg. community board it gets lost amongst all the other posts. Also many people tend to stick to certain boards and do not look at the others. I know I do not look at the general community board very often. It is much easier to connect with people that you have gotten to know on the board that you always communicate on.

Any one know any websites where you can get thirty one bags for cheap? Does anyone recommend there bags? :confused: thanks :)

Any one know any websites where you can get thirty one bags for cheap? Does anyone recommend there bags? :confused: thanks :)

While, I don't think there is a specific site to get thirty one bags cheap... I know that hosting a party can get you some awesome free stuff. I hosted one last June and got 200 pucks in free stuff 3 free hostess exclusives and 3 half price items...

Also they have an outlet sale 2x a year. Find a local consultant in your area.

Their backs are amazing!!! I have one for almost every use and function

I have gotten some great tips here. Even when I am not planning a Disney trip, I always check out the Budget Boards. I would keep it as it is. The unpopular posts scroll off quickly enough.

No sub-forum needed (as I feel there are plenty of places on this website to discuss whatever moves you), but I would really like to see one of the BB regulars become a host/moderator, so they could have the power to move some of the more "off-topic" stuff to the Community Board, or other compatible forum without embarrassing the Moderator Team (for inappropriate threads/posts left on the BB way too long).

Fact of the matter is this board is assigned a moderator/host (aka-mad4themouse) who has not been heard from since 11-09-2009, which is more than 2 years ago (but still listed as someone who actively hosts/moderates the BB). For whatever reasons only known to aka-mad4themouse, that person has (obviously) not been present on The DIS in a long, long time. Fix this oversight, and a majority of your problems will be solved.

I think the lack of a full-time, dedicated moderator is what enables some posters (who have never mentioned anything Disney) to come here, post their financial woes, and hopes we will solve all their problems.

Thing is, the Budget Board has evolved into something way different than it's original intention (to plan Disney trips on the cheap, which is what brought me in) -- anymore, it's become something of a place where some are seeking financial advice/airing their financial "dirty laundry" while there are others who come here to vent about anything that bothers them (which was made evident by a thread that was recently locked and caused me some issues because of a comment I made).

My bottom line about the BB is that it was not intended to be, say, another Clark Howard or Suze Orman-type webiste (and I don't think the owners want it to go in that directon, either).

Hope this helps...

Yes I agree with this 100%. I would like to come here for planning Disney & any other theme park trips on the cheap although when I started coming on here I noticed off topic things and did a post on off topic subject- SORRY!

Yes I agree with this 100%. I would like to come here for planning Disney & any other theme park trips on the cheap although when I started coming on here I noticed off topic things and did a post on off topic subject- SORRY!

Thanks, naomiatx86 -- but here we are, much much later, and little has changed (truth be told, the "woe is me" posts usually happen in the run-up to Black Friday, so we'll see some of that, later, this year).

And our "missing moderator" is going-on 4 years, now without any semblance of an apearance on The DIS...

The description for the Budget Board says "Learn the 'in and outs' of smart earning, saving, and spending your money. Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!'"

So when someone wants to ask about doing their own nails or what do to with the chicken that they bought on sale, they are NOT off topic. They are saving money for Disney. Of course, there are rants and asking for parenting advice type posts, which are off topic. But unless someone is going to change the purpose of this group, you can't say that saving money is off topic.

I am not a regular poster so I'm sure my opinion means nothing but I wish the budget board was split into one strictly for wdw vacation budget tips and then non-Disney or vacation budget posts (similar to how the disabilities board has two areas). I come here mainly for the Disney related tips but have a hard time sorting thru all of the posts. While I do like reading the general budget ideas, I wish I could filter so I can find what I'm looking for faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!