A Sept 2018 TR...or that trip where nothing went as planned Completed 11/9

kclark9830

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my trip report for our Sept 2018 WDW vacation!

You may have guessed by my title that nothing went as planned :crazy:. However, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing (thank goodness!). Maybe you followed me over here from my PTR, but if not let me introduce myself.

I'm Katie, trip planner, and this is my family (husband Micheal, middle daughter Ashlyn, and baby Miles).

MK_MSFIRSTA_20180906_413217099592.jpg

We traveled with my sister and her family. You may notice them in a few of our pictures. Our travel dates were
Aug. 31-Sept. 8, 2018.

This was our 4th trip to Walt Disney World (well, it was Miles's first trip!). In fact, Miles was largely responsible for most of our changes in plans :rotfl2:.

We stayed at the
Boardwalk Villas, which I will just go ahead and confirm that we LOVED. Ohmygosh, we loved it there. The ability to get to two parks without taking a bus? Amazing. We also loved all the amenities, and the room, and the balcony. But I'll get to all of that later.

I'll try to keep links to all new posts in this first post (see below!). I hope you'll follow along to hear all about our adventures, including our Food & Wine experience, my birthday, the September crowds, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, Harmony Barber Shop, and more! Thanks for reading :tigger:!

LINKS:
Travel Day and Day 1 - Look Around You Ellen. We're At The Threshold of Hell.

Day 2 pt 1 - There's a Bright New Beautiful Tomorrow
Day 2 pt 2 - Do You Need A Straw?

Day 3 pt 1 - Does That Make Your Brother A Guppie?
Day 3 pt 2 - Quiet Night "In"
Day 4 pt 1 - Momma Said There'll Be Days Like This
Day 4 pt 2 - Is It 11PM Yet?
Day 5 pt 1 - You Got A Friend In Me
BONUS POST!
Day 5 pt 2 - A Magical Night
Day 6 - Epcot early EMH and SDD At Last!
Day 7 - Happy Birthday to Me! Part 1
Day 7 - Harmony Barber Shop
Day 7 - Mickey's Backyard BBQ

Last edited:
I was there around the same time. I would consider the Boardwalk next time. I know what traveling with an infant/toddler is like. It never goes according to plan ^^

We were there last week also. We stayed at Coronado Springs, and went to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. It was a birthday trip for our grandson who turns 3 in a few days. It was a truly magical trip. Our first in twenty years. Look forward to reading more about your trip.

Great to have you along!

I am following along! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Glad to see you here!

I was there around the same time. I would consider the Boardwalk next time. I know what traveling with an infant/toddler is like. It never goes according to plan ^^

The Boardwalk was so awesome. I definitely recommend it.

Interested in sept.

We love September, heat and all :).

I'm here!

Yay! I hope your trip goes well this coming week!

We were there last week also. We stayed at Coronado Springs, and went to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. It was a birthday trip for our grandson who turns 3 in a few days. It was a truly magical trip. Our first in twenty years. Look forward to reading more about your trip.

Happy birthday to him!

Great to have you!

Look Around You, Ellen. We're At The Threshold Of Hell!
Our trip started out on Friday, Aug. 31st. Ashlyn had school that day, and Micheal had to work. So, a pretty hum-drum start to the day. Except, we had a surprise for Ashlyn which we gave to her when she woke up!

20180831_070322_1536608105212_resized 2.jpg

OK, so that wasn't actually all that exciting for the rest of the world, but I enjoyed doing it, and Ashlyn was really excited when she saw it. ::MinnieMo This American Girl doll has no hair, as it's meant to be for girls fighting cancer. Ashlyn saw one shortly after Emma, her big sister, went to Heaven and she begged to have one. She had been talking for a few weeks about taking her doll to Disney, so I decided the doll (who she named Emma) should have something cute to wear. Hence, the Minnie Mouse outfit, which I bought on Ebay, I think.

Fast forward through work and school, and it's 4PM. The truck was loaded down with our luggage and stroller, and we were on our way to Nashville. Unfortunately, we reached Nashville at the peak of afternoon rush hour traffic on a Friday night. :crutches: Whatever. We checked into our lovely hotel, met up with my sister and her husband, and promptly walked next door to the KFC for supper.

So, that's where this update title comes into play. KFC was...interesting. It was PACKED. And the lady at the counter didn't care one measly bit. She was taking her time with each and every order as if her job depended on being sloooowwwww. Kids around us were screaming. Our kids were screaming. People were squished inside the restaurant at the counter like sardines. And that cashier could have been doing ballet for all she cared. :rotfl2:

Now, I'm not dogging her. I've done my fair share of fast food jobs. McDonald's, Dairy Queen, and Baskin-Robbins are all in my past so I totally get it. But at one point my brother-in-law looked at my sister and says deadpan, "Look around you, Ellen. We're at the threshold of Hell." We all died laughing. It really was funny.

OK, OK, so you're not here to hear about our bad KFC experience. Back to the trip! We finished our meal, went back to our rooms, and went to bed. Here is a picture of our room, which was a two room suite. Again, it was lovely. But we had bigger lands to conquer!

20180831_170446_resized 2.jpg

We woke up at 5:30AM to catch a 6:30AM shuttle to the airport! Soon enough we were on the shuttle with one other family who was also going to Disney (don't forget them! we'll see them again later!).

20180901_070210_resized 2.jpg

Our flight had a layover in Atlanta, but everything went smoothly, and shortly after noon Florida time we were landing at MCO!

On our last trip to WDW, we went to the wrong side of the airport looking for DME. This time we were prepared. "B" for bus! (that's actually how I remembered it :rotfl2:) After a super short wait we were pulling away on the Magical Express and headed toward the Boardwalk! The first stop was Caribbean Beach Resort (we stayed there in 2016, and I honestly loved it. I would definitely stay again). Next up, the Boardwalk. It was love at first sight, all the way. From the gleaming lights to the glittering water of Crescent Lake, I was hooked.

Even though it was only 1:30, our room was ready and we quickly headed up!

20180902_082959_1536588541574_resized.jpg

5th floor with a view of the Tower of Terror, as requested :dancer:. The view was fabulous! Ashlyn and Micheal wanted to go swimming ASAP, but I reminded them we had no luggage. Our plan was to head into Magic Kingdom and use our FP's. That was met with a complete lack of enthusiasm. :confused3

We made our way to the Boardwalk for lunch, where we lined up to order from the To-Go Cart. Micheal ordered a burger...and was promptly told they were out. Of burgers.

OK, so he ordered chicken wings instead. I got the pork sliders, which were not good. I just have to be honest. Sigh. This wasn't the way I had hoped to start this trip!

Once we finished our food we went to the bus stop to head to Magic Kingdom. I was the only one who was excited, and Miles was fussing because he was tired of sitting still. But finally, we arrived at Magic Kingdom where we found massive crowds and rude people. Micheal and Ashlyn went from being grumpy to downright hostile. :rotfl2: Seriously, y'all, this first day was NOT going how I'd planned! But the trip does get better, I promise.

We stopped for a Photopass picture in front of the Magic Kingdom sign. We had never gotten a picture in front of it before, and Micheal indulged me. Every single one turned out badly! I'm not making this up!

MK_ENTR_20180901_413169379068.jpg

We had a FP for Peter Pan, but we had already missed it so we changed it around. Instead, we made our way to 7DMT! This is my favorite ride at MK!!! I rode it with Ashlyn, then Ashlyn used Rider Swap to ride again with Micheal. Ashlyn looks terrified in our pictures, but she really does like it, I promise.

MK_MINETRAIN_20180901_8263367980.jpg

I'll note here that using Rider Swap is a HUGE time suck. Everything I had planned throughout the entire week was completely thrown out the window because of the amount of time RS took. Though we had travelled with small kids before, we had mostly stuck to rides they could do so we'd never really used this service. Yes, it's convenient and necessary, but gosh it sucks.

As soon as we all got through 7DMT it was time for our Space Mountain FP. Talk about frustration. I had planned to do like 3 other rides between there! Not to mention the wall to wall crowds in MK. It was Labor Day weekend, and we had been there before for this holiday weekend, but I had never experienced crowds like this during that time in the past. We could hardly push our stroller at all. At one point, a lady physical shoved me out of the way to get ahead of me. All of this on my first day, and I'd only ridden one ride! :faint:

We finally made it to Space Mountain. Ashlyn and I stood in line. Got in our car. Started around the corner. Then stalled.

We waited for about 20 minutes before a CM came and told us something was "stuck" and we had to evacuate the ride. Yep, this day was going swimmingly.

In the meantime, Micheal had taken Miles to enjoy the Incredibles dance party going on outside of Space Mountain. Miles is so funny when he dances. He picks up one leg and stomps it down, over and over and over. Once we met up with them, it was time to use our FP for Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. At this point we were all pretty grumpy. But, we did the ride, and it was OK. Micheal was the unquestionable winner.

MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_20180901_413169698791.jpg MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_20180901_413169698641.jpg

I made a 4th FP for Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. Generally, we haven't needed a FP for this, but in these crowds? It didn't matter, though, because I was overwhelmingly overruled. The fam wanted to go back to the hotel. Now. We had arrived at MK at 3PM'ish, and it was now 7PM. We had managed to ride a whopping TWO rides. Two.

So, we left. Our luggage had arrived, so we unpacked, suited up in our bathing suits, and headed down to the pool. Everyone got in better moods then. :beach: The pool was packed, but the water was cool and the slide was fun. I ended up taking Miles up to the room after an hour, but Micheal and Ashlyn stayed in the pool until almost closing time, around 11PM. When they returned to the room they were happy, relaxed, and the family I know and love. :hug:

It was definitely NOT the way I had hoped our first day would go. But overall, it wasn't too terrible. We had the whole week ahead of us, and bright things were on the horizon. :boat: In the morning we would be making the walk to Epcot. I was anxious and excited to get into my favorite Disney park!

OK, so that wasn't actually all that exciting for the rest of the world, but I enjoyed doing it, and Ashlyn was really excited when she saw it. ::MinnieMo This American Girl doll has no hair, as it's meant to be for girls fighting cancer. Ashlyn saw one shortly after Emma, her big sister, went to Heaven and she begged to have one. She had been talking for a few weeks about taking her doll to Disney, so I decided the doll (who she named Emma) should have something cute to wear. Hence, the Minnie Mouse outfit, which I bought on Ebay, I think.
There are so many sweet things about this. The mickey ears for her doll are amazing!

But at one point my brother-in-law looked at my sister and says deadpan, "Look around you, Ellen. We're at the threshold of Hell." We all died laughing. It really was funny.
It is always good when you can laugh in a pretty horrible situation.

That was met with a complete lack of enthusiasm. :confused3
My girls are the same way sometimes.

mk_minetrain_20180901_8263367980-jpg.350259

I'll note here that using Rider Swap is a HUGE time suck. Everything I had planned throughout the entire week was completely thrown out the window because of the amount of time RS took. Though we had travelled with small kids before, we had mostly stuck to rides they could do so we'd never really used this service. Yes, it's convenient and necessary, but gosh it sucks.
It really does. It is nice that you can do it but it does still take awhile.

We finally made it to Space Mountain. Ashlyn and I stood in line. Got in our car. Started around the corner. Then stalled.

We waited for about 20 minutes before a CM came and told us something was "stuck" and we had to evacuate the ride. Yep, this day was going swimmingly.
Man you really had a rough start! I can't image sitting on the ride for that long waiting to see what is going on. Did you get anytime fast passes or something?

I made a 4th FP for Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. Generally, we haven't needed a FP for this, but in these crowds? It didn't matter, though, because I was overwhelmingly overruled. The fam wanted to go back to the hotel. Now. We had arrived at MK at 3PM'ish, and it was now 7PM. We had managed to ride a whopping TWO rides. Two.
That sounds horrible! I hope that things got better and a lot less crowded!

Following along . Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

It was definitely NOT the way I had hoped our first day would go. But overall, it wasn't too terrible. We had the whole week ahead of us, and bright things were on the horizon. :boat: In the morning we would be making the walk to Epcot. I was anxious and excited to get into my favorite Disney park!

I feel like that's the key to Disney--make all the plans and then just roll with how it actually happens. Glad it wasn't too bad, even if it wasn't your plan. Excited to hear about Epcot! :)

Hi Katie :wave2: First let me comment on Ashlyn's doll, which of course I live. Then let me say I lol'd at your title because we've had so many trips like that! Yup, your first day sounds.......interesting :rolleyes1 but like you said, in the end really not that bad at all. Can't wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!