"A Showier Showplace of the Shore" - Disney Files Magazine

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I received my Disney Files Magazine and reviewed the reimagined Disney's BoardWalk Villas photos. Did anyone else notice the strategic furniture arrangement in the studio photos? The large studio overview, which is featured at the top of page 6, does not show the dining chairs with the table. There is a smaller photo, which is featured in the bottom left corner of page 6, that shows the chairs with the table, but the coffee table is missing.

I realize that the studio requires staging for photos. However, if the chairs and coffee table need to be moved to properly showcase the studio, then imagine the challenge those pieces pose for a family of 3 or 4 when the sleeper sofa is opened.

Without the chairs, the studio certainly appears to be spacious, but their addition likely makes the studio appear cluttered in photos. Also, I find it intriguing that this BoardWalk Villas soft goods refurbishment is receiving print attention because the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge received a hard goods refurbishment without any fanfare.

Jim 8O

It's called marketing and positive image. Disney is very adept at taking a room that now looks like a motel 6 and convincing owners/guests that they are something special.

:earsboy: Bill

Without the chairs, the studio certainly appears to be spacious, but their addition likely makes the studio appear cluttered in photos. Also, I find it intriguing that this BoardWalk Villas soft goods refurbishment is receiving print attention because the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge received a hard goods refurbishment without any fanfare.

Jim 8O
I'm fairly certain I remember seeing an article about the VWL refurb at one point.

I'm fairly certain I remember seeing an article about the VWL refurb at one point.

Yes - The Summer 2014 Disney Files issue included articles on the VWL and HHI refurbs.

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I received my Disney Files Magazine and reviewed the reimagined Disney's BoardWalk Villas photos. Did anyone else notice the strategic furniture arrangement in the studio photos? The large studio overview, which is featured at the top of page 6, does not show the dining chairs with the table. There is a smaller photo, which is featured in the bottom left corner of page 6, that shows the chairs with the table, but the coffee table is missing.

I realize that the studio requires staging for photos. However, if the chairs and coffee table need to be moved to properly showcase the studio, then imagine the challenge those pieces pose for a family of 3 or 4 when the sleeper sofa is opened.

Jim 8O

I received my copy last week but never opened it until I read your post.

On the sofa, are those two brown things the straps for opening it up? They sort of drew my eye.

How about that table/shelf? Can you have it in the down position without opening the bed?

We are only two in the room and it looks awkward. I'd rather just put the chairs over near the window and connecting door so as not to be bopping into them while trying to get to the sofa.

BWV is my main home resort and I stay there 1-2 times per year for a week to 2 weeks.

I can see this little bed as fun for my new grand daughter (coming for Xmas - yay!) if we get to do trips with just her, so I'm happy for the change, but just find that table looks awkward. Haven't seen one yet but will be there in late October.

Right now, can't wait to get down there! If the room isn't perfect, it will just be a minor blip compared to getting down to Disney for a nice 10 day stretch.

I thought the new decor was evocative of absolutely nothing. There is no atmosphere anymore. The rooms pretty much look like hotel rooms anywhere and everywhere. :-(

I thought the new decor was evocative of absolutely nothing. There is no atmosphere anymore. The rooms pretty much look like hotel rooms anywhere and everywhere. :-(

I so agree! It looks nice, except for the awful murphy bed/table setup - but so generic.

I agree. It's as boring as it could be. Loved the last upgrade with that cute lamp with the coffee cups askew.

I want to know who thought using a light colored sofa was a good idea. One spilled drink & that thing is going to need to be swapped out. Don't like the table being lost if you make use of the Murphy bed. And can someone please explain why they keep mixing white or off-white furnishings with very dark woods or black furniture in the same room? I don't like the look at OKW and it looks even worse in the BWV pictures. I could understand using different colors indifferent rooms but mixing in one room looks tacky IMO. The one thing I do like is the addition of the Magnifying mirror in the studio sink area.

There was really nothing about those rooms before the refurb that screamed "Shore" except for the artwork. Yes, the tea cup/coffee cup lamp was really cute, but had nothing to do with the "shore". I loved those lamps, but noticed how wobbly they were getting after a few years. And chipped. I think they got knocked over quite easily.

I am assuming that the new upholstery is stain resistant or easily removed to be cleaned. DVC will never please everyone all the time, and personally I would never want to stay in a studio with a total of five adults. And there just isn't room for a murphy bed AND a separate eating table in those studios.

And finally, a magnifying mirror.

I think the new paint and flooring looks great and bright and happy. Sleeping five in a standard view studio is a huge point saver. I'll bet they will all disappear before the 7 month availability mark. Or the day of.

I think the appearance is very nice. The old pink walls with green did not scream the Atlantic Boardwalk to me.

I too noticed the staging of the room in the photos. What surprised is that the photo of the table and chairs did not show how the walk way to exit door was affected when the table was open and the chairs in place. Combine that with the coffee table how much space is available for a safe walk way? Do you have to close the table move the chairs each night? Has anyone stayed in a remodeled studio?

It's called marketing and positive image. Disney is very adept at taking a room that now looks like a motel 6 and convincing owners/guests that they are something special.

I'm sorry but I about spit my coffee across the room when I read that. Thanks! :D

I'd like to know what others would have done to increase the guest capacity of the studios. I think they did well with what space they had to work with. Maybe they should have left it alone....BWV is nearly always totally booked anyway, they really didn't need to do this to the studios. People are going to stay there happily, regardless of furniture color and having to move things around in a studio to open a pull out couch.

Maybe I should start complaining about how DVC is wasting my dues money by spending so much money on increasing studio capacity that I have no intention of using?

I'd like to know what others would have done to increase the guest capacity of the studios. I think they did well with what space they had to work with. Maybe they should have left it alone....BWV is nearly always totally booked anyway, they really didn't need to do this to the studios. People are going to stay there happily, regardless of furniture color and having to move things around in a studio to open a pull out couch.

Maybe I should start complaining about how DVC is wasting my dues money by spending so much money on increasing studio capacity that I have no intention of using?
The questions isn't they have done but SHOULD they have increased capacity? By keeping it at 4, don't they either force people to the newer resorts or a 1-br, both of which costs more points, meaning the possibility of people wanting more points?

mrsR123 said:

What was so special about the prior room design? Ick.

I'm being very serious here. Strictly from a design standpoint, I'd really love for someone to explain to me how these old room designs have "atmosphere" and represented "something special" compared to the new design. Pink walls, green upholstery and flowered bedskirts do absolutely nothing to transport guests to the New Jersey Boardwalk, IMO.

Yes, the new designs seem to better reflect modern trends in hospitality, and to that I say "thank God!"

The photos below do not represent the quality I would expect to see in a $300-400 per night "deluxe" hotel room.

boardwalk-studio-20152.JPG

boardwalk-studio-20153.JPG

I'm being very serious here. Strictly from a design standpoint, I'd really love for someone to explain to me how these old room designs have "atmosphere" and represented "something special" compared to the new design. Pink walls, green upholstery and flowered bedskirts do absolutely nothing to transport guests to the New Jersey Boardwalk, IMO.

Yes, the new designs seem to better reflect modern trends in hospitality, and to that I say "thank God!"

The photos below do not represent the quality I would expect to see in a $300-400 per night "deluxe" hotel room.

boardwalk-studio-20152.JPG

boardwalk-studio-20153.JPG

I grew up in New Jersey and regularly enjoyed Jersey shore vacations with my family. From Point Pleasant to Cape May, with many additional beaches in between, I have never seen a pink, green and floral room (e.g., rose bedspread, blue flower tile shower backsplash, white picket fence headboard). Moreover, the older hotels in the Atlantic City area and gingerbread bed & breakfasts in Cape May are generally Art Deco and Queen Anne Victorian, respectively.

The villa is certainly an improvement, albeit a generic one.

Well, they had the pink, green, etc at OKW, but took that all away and turned them into Old Beach Club.

YES!! THIS....exactly. I'm okay with the old and the new....if I want the BoardWalk "feel", I sit on my deck....or sit on the veranda outside the lobby...or sit on a bench on the boardwalk and people-watch.

Delightful idea!!!

I like it...:tongue:

LOL...I was being snarky. I realize DVC and Disney will do things I like and things I don't like, but I can live with it and not B&M over every little thing. Although I am hoping they come up with something for the new shower stalls in the one bedrooms...I understand there is no longer a shelf for items like shavers and shampoo. But I can live with having to place them on the floor of the shower.

I grew up in New Jersey and regularly enjoyed Jersey shore vacations with my family. From Point Pleasant to Cape May, with many additional beaches in between, I have never seen a pink, green and floral room (e.g., rose bedspread, blue flower tile shower backsplash, white picket fence headboard). Moreover, the older hotels in the Atlantic City area and gingerbread bed & breakfasts in Cape May are generally Art Deco and Queen Anne Victorian, respectively.

The villa is certainly an improvement, albeit a generic one.

Agree. Those great little houses in Lavelette were not furnished as nicely as the BoardWalk rooms.

I wasn't necessarily comparing to the last iteration. I haven't stayed there since like 2004, but at the time it felt vintage at least. I just meant that I don't prefer this trend toward modern-styled soft goods in resorts that are supposed to evoke a historical period.

I wasn't impressed with the finishes in the photos you posted either. (I think the whole bed scarf across the bottom thing is dumb.)
YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter