A Sisters‘ Summer Sailing to Scandinavia - update: After Cruise Day 2: Tivoli

Tivoli looked like a really nice place to visit and I can totally see Walt's inspiration in there! The gardens are beautiful and I loved all the fountains and such. It's funny for all the times I've been to Solvang, I guess nothing nothing there is really Danish, it's all Americanized because it all looks so different and especially the food!

Thanks for wrapping this up, sounds like it was a nice trip. Now if I could only wrap up moving before the third anniversary, but since that is Monday, it's not going to happen! :rotfl2:

Hey Lady! :)

Found an empty few moments to get some reading done and picked up where I'd left on on the Copenhagen chapter. You 3 really did fit a lot on during your short visit. I'm with Remy! I love pickled herring as well. Not sure I'd have eaten as much as he did, and might have opted for a pastry or so, but love it!

Tivoli has an interesting ticketing system. You can get just entrance to the park not including any rides for 120 DKK (about 18 US$). If you want to go on rides, you can get tickets and depending on the attraction you will have to use a certain number of those tickets. One ticket is 25 DKK (about 3.60 US$). The Rutschebanen for example requires 2 of those tickets. Kind of similar to the old ticket book system Disney parks had a long long time ago.

This totally reminded me of Disney's old ticketing system. I used to get pretty pumped when Mom and Dad would plop a book of tix into my hands and sent us off for the day. Ah, those were the days.

Actually, if you are on a cruise that has a port day in Copenhagen, DCL offers an excursion “The Footsteps of Walt Disney at Tivoli Gardens“. For the low price of 354 $ you get a 7 hour excursion that includes a guided tour of Tivoli, lunch and a meet with an employee who met Walt on his visit in the 1950s.

That sounds like a fabulous deal to me! Can you imagine meeting that person?! Even better than an Imagineer! I'd totally have sprung for that.

I LOVE the idea of paying a base price to just get in. No rides, just being in the atmosphere. I REALLY wish Disney did this.

We then headed to breakfast and I am sure we had more to eat, but I only took pictures of our pastries. I guess it just got a bit hectic as the last breakfast usually is:

DSC08363.jpg

That is a berry good looking pastry!

This is the view down Nyhavn (behind me the water ends and the city starts, it is kind of one longish canal) from the boat:

DSC08382.jpg

What a cool shot.

Frikadeller are pan fried meatballs.

Sounds wonderful to me!

Another view of the lovely Nyhavn houses:

DSC08399.jpg

So colorful. And I see Katharina in there.

We still have the coasters though that somehow fell in my handbag….

Whoops! :laughing:

That looks really cool, but yes, I can imagine it would be unnerving if you have a fear of heights.

After they came down we made our way to the Tivoli. Or to be more precise. Tivoli Gardens. But everyone just calls it Tivoli.

I've heard of it before, not sure where. Was glad to see read your update because I didn't really know much about it.

And this was our train:

DSC08440.jpg

Looks like fun.

At first I thought that people must rub the nose of this statue, but then I saw that it was Tycho Brahe. He actually had a prosthetic nose, due to losing a good portion of his in a duel with swords (over a disagreement about a mathematical formula). So anyway, I'm sure that the metal nose-piece was part of the artwork.

I promise that I will be back with replies and our final thoughts on the trip soon!! (Hopefully tonight!) It really has to be done soon as the next adventures is going to start soon: Michael and I are going to Shanghai and Japan (where we will also visit the respective Disney resorts there). I have decided to join the Twitterverse in order to post a few pictures from this trip. If anyone wants to follow along, send me a PM and I will let you know my twitter name.

There was also some issue with some kind of noise that we heard from our window in the morning. It was very difficult to figure out what we were hearing, it could have been protesters or maybe a running event. In the end it we decided that it must have been a music festival that was going on in Copenhagen that weekend. We just never figured out why they were out in the streets in the early morning hours. By 9am the noise had stopped…

I'm so late to the party and just beginning your trip report. However... I thought this was so interesting! Did you ever figure it out?
You were in Copenhagen during the week(end) of Distortion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_Distortion

It celebrates street life and party culture, described as "a week of emerging dance music and orchestrated chaos." Some clubs don't close until 5 AM- and then of course the partygoers flow out into the streets.
https://issuu.com/cphdistortion/docs/distortion_2015_programme

You can say that you ladies were party animals at Distortion! You go, girls!!

I promise that I will be back with replies and our final thoughts on the trip soon!! (Hopefully tonight!) It really has to be done soon as the next adventures is going to start soon: Michael and I are going to Shanghai and Japan (where we will also visit the respective Disney resorts there). I have decided to join the Twitterverse in order to post a few pictures from this trip. If anyone wants to follow along, send me a PM and I will let you know my twitter name.
Well shoot! I don't have a Twitter account, but would still love to see your photos and hear about your trip. :) If you share any, do point me to them.

How exciting :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: Hope you have a magnificent trip!!!!!!!!

So fun! Have a blast!!!!!

Boy, what a nice detailed report with lots of pictures. It let me re-live our 2016 DCL - Norway Cruise. I'm glad ours was a little later in June. I think we enjoyed a little better weather, but we did get rain in Stavanger and Bergen in the afternoon. Here's picture of the Seven Sisters we saw in June 2016.
IMG_3388.JPG

And here's a picture from far above Geiranger. We took the bus excursion up the mountain.
IMG_3413.JPG

Last edited:
I'm late, but I'm so glad I found this trip report! It's wonderful - I love how the two of you are adding your thoughts on the same posts. It's a great read, and super helpful as well. It looks like you had a wonderful time - thanks for sharing your trip! Our upcoming cruise starts in Copenhagen, so your days there (and especially tour of Tivoli Gardens) has been really helpful. The way they handle ticketing reminds me of the way Disneyland was when I was really small. Thanks again! :goodvibes

I am so happy to see that people still enjoy this trip report after a couple of years! And thanks to photobucket realizing it’s wrong ways, pictures are available again to see! Not sure how long this will last...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!