A Tink in training - journal

So I did end up doing the 10k in Phoenix. It was both a good, yet I must admit to myself, disappointing run. My sister thinks its odd that I said it was both fun and disappointing. And she is a non-runner and couldn't understand that I was wanted to finish 2 min faster than what I finished. I am not fast, so its not like 2 min would be a huge difference either. I guess I felt that I set a fairly conservative goal to begin with. I made some mistakes. I went out way to conservatively for the first couple miles. I wasn't prepared for the warm temperature (and hardly any shade), and I am heavier than normal for me. I spent the day before shopping all day long . On the bright side I suppose those are all things I can work on and change.

But I really liked the medal, and the race gave out a tech jacket instead of a shirt which was a nice change of pace. (except for on what hits me on my rear is the words #RUNBEAUTIFUL which I have never liked writing in that area on myself) and I felt the race had a good "spirit" If I can say that without being too cheesy.

I can't believe it is already feb. So short term plans. Lose a 1lb a week and actually be diligent about it. Keep to running schedule, but follow thru and actually do some strength and flexibility training. go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I really would like to do a half marathon maybe near the end of March, but will have to see if it works with with schedule/money etc.

This past week of training was going swimmingly, until I came down with a wee cold. I tried to run a bit with it but it just hurt, that cool super dry air made it hard to breathe. So I took off a few rest days, and think I will get back on track on Sunday with my long run.

I am over my disappointment of my 10k. I overestimated my fitness I think, based on previous results and didn't account for all the time I really missed. Now I just need to focus on getting back and maybe even better fitness. One good thing about being slow is there is lots of room to improve one's PR. Speaking of which, I had planned on trying for a PR for the half at the end of march. I didn't realize it was an Easter race and now I do not believe I shall be able to make it. I want to stop and take lots of character stops at tinkerbell so that's not going to happen there. I think I may have to try for a race in the fall.

I can't not believe how close Tinkerbell is. I am so jealous of the Merchandise they released for the Princess race. I like Tinkerbell all right, but it would be so cool to be able to rotate thru more characters and themes.

I have found more money another 13 cents. and the oldest coin I ever found- It is a bit worn from being in the desert but I shall try to get a picture up.

So I have been terrible about updating this journal. It is not that training has been going poorly, in fact my knee is much improved. It is my new-to-me old house. I was having serious plumbing problems, basically had to have the line redone. The plumber said it looked like it had been redone not too long ago but just done incorrectly. In fact he was a bit horrified at the work. They didn't do joints properly and the vents were all wrong. It is fixed now and a big relief. But the upshot it is it took the money I was going to use on this trip. Unless a miracle windfall happens between now and when the deferrel link is posted, I am going to have to defer. I was pretty bummed at first and still kinda am. I have been trying to make peace with it and have come up with a couple reasons to be glad

1) Mostly likely I will be able to get an improved POT as I was fairly disappointed with my last time. (note to self, don't schedule a race in phx without training in the heat)
2) I think my parents, and my sister's family are going to be able to come. She has five kids so it is fun and crazy all at the same time. We are planning to stay on property which will be a first for me.

As for training, I am going to actually dial it back in terms of distance. I need to properly work on strengthening my knee and core. I am hopeful I will be able to find a 10k that I can work towards, but am just going to enjoy running for the sake of running.

On a side note I have actually lost weight (more do to stress I think then positive changes but I will take it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts