A Week in Paris with a nod to ABD Disers

kristilew

DIS Veteran
So DH had to work in Paris last week (poor DH ;)) and DD11 and I got to tag along. It wasn't an ABD, but who was I to complain?

I did have to plan, however, so I borrowed freely from the ABD plans and KLondon's detailed trip reports. Thanks, KLondon!

I know you don't want a whole trip report, at least on this board, but I thought I would post just a couple of "tips" since I know the ABD trips to France give you quite a bit of on your own time in Paris.

One of the very best things we did was book a private family walking tour through Paris Muse. It was called "If Buildings Could Talk" and was supposed to be a 3-hour tour of medieval and gothic architechture, beginning at Place de Voges and ending in Notre Dame Cathedral. It ended up being closer to four hours, since the guide was completely devoted to our interests, never rushed us, and did not cut a single thing out of the intinerary when time started to run over. Wow! We learned so much! I know the ABD takes you to Notre Dame, so one of the other tours offered might be a better choice, but I'm sure they're all this good. Mary, our guide, was "ABD quality" - that is how we measure everything on trips now! I'm not sure how interested anyone would be to hear all the details of this tour, but would be glad to answer questions. One of the coolest things on it, and I don't know if the ABD includes this or not, is that we learned to "read" stained glass windows. This made all the other churches we saw so much better.

DD and I also went out to DLRP for a day (again, thanks KLondon, couldn't have done it without you!). I had not found a lot of info on the Dis that answered my questions about this, so was a little nervous/plan deprived. It turned out fine, and we had fun. Nowhere near as "magical" as WDW, however. Happy to answer any questions on that day as well.

Other great things we did:
the Louvre
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orangerie
the Cluny (national museum of the middle ages, plus roman baths)
Monmartre and Sacre Couer
Victor Hugo's home
a museum on the history of public hospitals in Paris and medicine from the middle ages forward
Arc de Triomphe
Versaille
St. Chappelle and the Hall of Justice
the Conciergerie

Helpful tips - we got a Paris Museum pass and skipped all the lines at all the museums. Also got a Paris Visite metro pass and never had to worry about having the right tickets.

Anyway, I don't want to highjack the ABD board, but did want to throw this out there in case it helps for any Disers lookign to fill up their free time on the Paris trips. Let me know if you want any details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter