• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AA Tourist Rentals?

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about a company named AA Tourist Rentals? I'm going to need to rent an ECV for my mom for our Dec trip. When I was at WDW last week I saw several ECVs with a canopy on them and on the back they had a little holder with some business cards in them that said 'AA Tourist Rentals'. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them: prices, dependability, etc.

As far as I remember, no one has posted any experiences with them before.
That doesn't meant they are not good, just that we don't have any reports.

aubriee said:
Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about a company named AA Tourist Rentals? I'm going to need to rent an ECV for my mom for our Dec trip. When I was at WDW last week I saw several ECVs with a canopy on them and on the back they had a little holder with some business cards in them that said 'AA Tourist Rentals'. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them: prices, dependability, etc.

They rent tourists?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I thought I had answered this when asked months ago. We rented two scooters through them last March. (A recommendation from our Marriott timeshare.) One went to my dad and another to my brother's FIL (has much poorer health and gripping issues). We didn't get a canopy for either and each likes some sun.

But our experiences were fantastic. Rates are $26 a day for the first week and $20 a day after that. And if you're a repeat customer, you get a 10% discount. You also get a second scooter for half price.

Pick up and delivery was out our timeshare. They had my dad's scooter waiting for us at check in. My brother's FIL flew in a day later with his own scooter (which the airline lost parts to so paid for a scooter rental). We called at 8am for a scooter for him and it arrived on their unit doorstep by 10am.

All scooters in good condition though a tad broken in around the cushion. They come with a basket, light, the usual stuff. Runs about 5mph and around 20 miles per charge. They handle well, though my brother's FIL had a few issues since he has Parkinson's and has lost a lot of hand maneuverability (I'm amazed he could drive one at all.). He got hung up around a few tight turns that my dad made just fine.

My dad and I have an adapted ramp van for my powerchair so we just drove his scooter onboard as well. My brother, however, broke down FIL's scooter and loaded it in the back of his Suburban.

We rented another scooter for a trip in May (finding out about the repeat business discount), but had to cancel when my dad ended up needing bypass surgery. We've reserved another scooter for our trip Saturday... one week rental but we'll call to add an additional 5-6 days for our second week there.

Total for the one week rental this time was $173.00 (with the 10% discount). First timers pay $192.00. Delivery charges included.

Thanks for the info! When I first saw the card saying AA Tourist Rentals, I have to admit the same thought about 'renting tourists' crossed my mind and made me laugh too. My mom doesn't need a scooter at home and I'm just a little concerned about turning her loose on one in WDW. However with her bad knees there is no way she could do WDW without one. I do have a few questions though, if someone would be so kind.

How hard are they to back up onto a WDW bus ramp? and would the canopy get in the way? Also how long does a charge last? Would she be able to go all day without recharging? Since she can walk short distances I know she would rather walk into the shows and restaraunts. I've seen scooters outside the shows, but what about the restaraunts? Is there a place to park scooters? We also have an Illuminations cruise for Dec 10th. Is there someplace safe to leave the scooter around the Yacht Club marina? Anyone ever lose a scooter while at WDW? Thanks!

aubriee said:
How hard are they to back up onto a WDW bus ramp?
I have always gone up the ramps forward; this is easily done especially with the newer buses which have the lower ramps.

Would the canopy get in the way?
Probably not. However, I would suggest being aware of hgow to lower the canopy if needed.

Also how long does a charge last? Would she be able to go all day without recharging?
A standard ECV should be able to do about 25 miles at full speed and full weight on one charge. I have had times when I have left my ECV in my car overnight or even over two nights, but on the third day of use it was getting sluggish and demanding a recharge that night.

Since she can walk short distances I know she would rather walk into the shows and restaraunts. I've seen scooters outside the shows, but what about the restaraunts? Is there a place to park scooters?
I will usually just park in the stroller parking area unless the weather looks bad, in which case I am always allowed to park inside the restuarant entry area.

We also have an Illuminations cruise for Dec 10th. Is there someplace safe to leave the scooter around the Yacht Club marina? Anyone ever lose a scooter while at WDW?
As long as you take the key out you should not have any problem. You can ask someone connected with the boats/marina where to park.

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll tackle a few.

aubriee said:
How hard are they to back up onto a WDW bus ramp? and would the canopy get in the way?

No more difficult than backing up a car into a parking spot. Throttle down so you don't have a huge push (0-60 in 2 seconds). Line up your back wheels dead center of the lift/ramp, straighten out your front wheel and keep her steady.

I use a 4-wheeled, rear-wheel powerchair. Backing up is the hardest thing to do on those because I have no concept of where the wheels are on the ground. Powerchairs are the most sensitive to drive. One of those one-thumb is needed to steer and accelerate situations. Scooters are more car like.

Also how long does a charge last? Would she be able to go all day without recharging?

Yup. My dad used it 12 hours a day in all the parks. Biggest one to drain his battery was EPCOT. (Tends to eat up juice in my powerchair as well. Tourists' legs and feet too. That's one HUGE park!) But still he was at least 1/3 full on charge. It takes approximately 2-8 hours to charge depending on how much use it had in a day. We have a ritual of parking our conveyences at the room, plugging them in and leaving them for a night while we sleep. They're fully charged by morning.

Since she can walk short distances I know she would rather walk into the shows and restaraunts. I've seen scooters outside the shows, but what about the restaraunts? Is there a place to park scooters?

Any stroller-parking area will do. You take the key with you so no one can operate it. We've left Dad's scooter outside Rainforest Cafe (the entrance to Animal Kingdom) and various rides, shops, etc. Never had a problem. Only thing you need to remember is to take any valuables with you: store bags, purses, cameras, etc. I've heard rare stories of some pathetic soul stealing a bag or two from an unattended scooter or wheelchair. Same people who rifle strollers.

Oh, one thing you want to think about is putting the scooter somewhere undercover in case it rains, especially at meals. Florida is known for a thunderstorm or two. Usually there is an undercover area nearby. If you don't see one, ask a friendly CM. Scooters are electronic and the seats are fabric. You really don't want to introduce a lot of water to the picture. (Driving in light showers is OK. Even a quick dash through a downpour to safety.)

We also have an Illuminations cruise for Dec 10th. Is there someplace safe to leave the scooter around the Yacht Club marina? Anyone ever lose a scooter while at WDW? Thanks!

I haven't done this but I'm sure the same rules apply for restaurants. When in doubt, ask a CM. They may have a special place to house scooters [indoors] while you're taking special cruises.

One last tip, the only thing you can't do with a scooter is ride the WDW Railroad in Magic Kingdom. I think it's a space constraint. (Bummer since I can ride with my powerwheelchair and Dad loves to do the train with me as a shortcut.) You can ride the train at Animal Kingdom though.

Have fun!

Two more days and I'm Dsney-bound. :cheer2: :bounce: :moped:

Thanks guys! I'm still a little nervous about turning her loose on a scooter in WDW, but she assures me she has been going to Wal Mart to practice on theirs and feels she can handle it.

My mom is not senile or anything, but she is VERY forgetful and gets flustered very easily. She also has no sense of direction and can get lost in her own house. She is a brittle diabetic and if her blood sugar drops she gets even more confused and then really panics. I have a fear of getting seperated from her down there and know if that happened that she would totally panic.

Thanks again for the great info!

The ones you can rent from one of the off-site rental places are much easier to drive than the ones they havve a Walmart (besides, she won't have a cart hooked to the front at WDW).
For the other factors you mentioned, you and she will have to be a little more alert to things like her blood sugar. If you are going soon, it won't be real busy either, so that will help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter