Abbreviations - HELP

Lesleyluvdisney

Francis Floot for President!
Hi :wave2:

Just new on saturday!!

Can anyone tell me what all the abbreviations mean?

:confused3

Like DD DV Etc.

Thanks in advance!

One that is not on the list is "WWJD" which I'm pretty sure is What Would Jeff Do. Most people after they ask that do the exact opposite. I'm not sure what that means.

Jeff

The link that Safetymom posted will give you all of the commonly used abbreviations for Disney-related stuff.

But since this is the photography board, how about if we start a list of the photo-specific abbreviations, which are not on the general abbreviations list?

I may get some of these a little wrong, so those with more photographic experience may feel free to correct any screw-ups I make!

SLR = Single Lens Reflex - the type of camera with detachable lenses. A mirror inside reflects light from the lens up to the viewfinder; this mirror has to pop up out of the way when the iris opens to let light travel straight back and strike the film or sensor.

DSLR = Digital SLR - an SLR camera that shoots digital pics instead of film

AF = AutoFocus

MF = ManualFocus (no, not that other thing! This is a family board!)

ISO = International Standards Organization - Film speeds are measured with increasing numbers on a standard scale approved by ISO, so 400ISO means film that has a speed of 400 on the ISO scale. The ISO scale is based on the older ASA (American Standards Association) scale.

DPI = Dots Per Inch - A measure of the resolution of digital scanners and printers. Sometimes mistakenly applied to the digital image files created by scanners and digital cameras.

TTL = Through The Lens - A type of exposure metering, mostly used in SLR cameras, basically meaning that the camera measures the amount of light that actually comes in through the lens, usually giving a more accurate measure of how long and how wide the camera's iris will need to open to properly expose the film or sensor inside.

CCD = Charge-Coupled Device - a type of sensor used in digital cameras in place of film to record an image. Used mostly in more expensive, higher-end cameras.

CMOS = Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor - another type of sensor used in digital cameras. Cheaper to manufacture than CCDs and they use less power, but more succeptible to noise in the images.

AZ JazzyJ said:
One that is not on the list is "WWJD" which I'm pretty sure is What Would Jeff Do. Most people after they ask that do the exact opposite. I'm not sure what that means.

Jeff

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter