ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Everyone has their own way of vacationing and touring; I’m the type who wants to tour hard in the morning seeing all I can, then take it down a notch in the afternoon.
::yes:: But sometimes it is hard to slow it back down later in the day.

(Wrong. Nothing beats a wonderfully prepared cup of coffee.)
Wrong. A lot of things beat a wonderfully prepared cup of coffee. Considering I can't stand to drink the stuff.

Since we’re Noobs, we were glad Robbie’s had a kayaking “trail” already mapped out for us. It was also a bonus that they said they'd send out SAR if we weren’t back by dark.
Well, that's helpful!

The water was absolutely crystal clear and you could easily see the 6-8 ft. to the bottom. I was shocked at how it literally teemed with life.
That sounds awesome! You really got to see a lot. I'm glad you had a chance to do this!

We *think* these were Nurse Sharks.
Looks right to me. I should know. I watch a lot of shark week!

The kayak tour looks pretty incredible. I'm glad that you were able to do it and didn't have to end up calling search and rescue.

Don't give up. I just finished a binge reading over the last 6 days. I didn't read all the comments, sadly. But, at least I've made it. ;)
Liesa, errr, Queen Steppe, you are a great story teller.

She is an amazing story teller! Thanks for the encouragement on reading, sometimes it gets overwhelming on how’s much I need to catch up on!

Well, at least you're here now!

I am! :p

will start my TR before I go as a TINY PTR, but am trying to chip away at my Keys Report and PNWMM too. So we'll see....

Ok cool, you’ve got so much going on I have no idea how you keep up with it all. Obviously you are the “divide and conquer” type and I’m the “run and hide” type :rolleyes1

I think meeting at the Party might be best.

Okey dokey! I’ll still send you my plans via PM. As they have changed slightly. Just learned that MK is open until 2am in our arrival day and the kids are all for it. We will see if I can make it after a 6am flight.

But I have tons I want to see and do.

Us too. My trips are usually pretty well packed. Even if it’s just a fly by hug we will make it happen!

don't know his plan for that day. I *think* that's his arrival day, but... well, @pkondz ?? Maybe?? I know I"m meeting Dawn and him at Dapper Day in MK on the 18th- so far those are the only other DISMeets planned.

Ok, no worries. We leave on the 16th. Wish I could stay for Dapper Days but I’m lucky as it is to be away from work for 5 days.

I loved this adventure. I've never kayaked but would love to do something like this. Much better than actually being in the water with the sea life. I too get sea sick real easy. Your photos are superb.

Everyone has their own way of vacationing and touring; I’m the type who wants to tour hard in the morning seeing all I can, then take it down a notch in the afternoon. This works out well, since others tend to want to sleep in and be out and about more later on.

Yes! Rope Drop always works!

Little, frozen Key Lime pies would have to wait.

Aw...but, but...

This stuff was everywhere:

upload_2017-10-14_12-20-54-jpeg.276953

:crazy2:

As were these little beauties:

8a5edda9-9fa6-4c0b-8dc6-9b0c256beab0.jpg

party:

Fully supplied, we again headed south-ish, and in exactly 7.0 miles we pulled off the highway, but not without getting royally flipped an altogether kind of bird.

You're #1!

If you are looking for macramé plant holders bejeweled with imported shells from China, toilet seats with epoxied crabs and seaweed, yard art sculptures made from flotsam, or smoked fish dip, this is definitely the place for you!

You know, I was just saying the other day...

It’d been 26 years since we’d paddled- and that time we almost drowned our toddler. We proudly display our Parents of the Year Award for that one, but that’s another story for another time.

This sounds like a story that needs to be told.

Jellyfish littered the seafloor and made it look the 1970's avocado shag carpet in the home you grew up in.

Our was rust brown, thank you very much.

Instead of swimming, this jelly spends its life pulsing upside-down in shallow, sunlit water.

It's a living, I guess.

I mean, it’s not very often that you can hobnob with SHARKS!!!

:scared1:

I was pretty excited for this portion!! I hope you are too!

I remember doing a canoe trip through mangroves on Sanibel Island years ago. Pretty cool.

There was even some unidentifiable stuff lurking down there, but that made for some pretty cool abstract photos.

Ever see The Abyss?

Meet Pinky McStingy Pants- Diva of the Keys. If any creature were to have an RBF, she’d be it. Lovely, yet aloof, she floated along, occasionally giving a little oomph to move as purposefully as a Moon Jelly ever does.

Very cool.

I have to admit, it was kinda fun watching them hungrily snap at human fingers.

As long as they're someone else's fingers.

I'm exactly the same. Except I tour hard in the morning then tour hard in the afternoon and then... tour hard into the night.
Followed by crashing from sheer exhaustion in between that day and the next.

:sad2:

You need an intervention.

Freudian slip enters mind.....

Except it wasn't.

Then why do you have one??

A girl can always hope...

And then there's pizza.
:lmao:

And... no one wants to see that!

No.

Looks tasty! What's the cream cheese for? Surely you don't eat that by itself?

The cinnamon rolls are too sweet for me without something to balance it with.

Everything beats a cup of coffee.

Wrong. You've not maybe had gooooood coffee. There is a difference.

Because.... it's the only road?

Mostly and it goes generally N-S.

I really liked it. But!, I like fish. Especially smoked fish.

mmmm... pie. Key Lime pie.......

With coffee!!!

So what did you guys do to deserve the salute in the first place?

Slowed very quickly to make art turn we almost missed.

I'll pass on everything except that last item... depending on your review of it.

Cream cheese, smoked fish, herbs, tobacco. I liked it!

Not a bad outing! I'd love to do that.
I tried to convince Ruby to do that
on one of our last trips, but she declined.
She's more of a sit and watch than paddle kinda girl.

I need to be doing, adventuring, being IN it.

bonus? Or ominous?

Hmmm....

Beautiful shot, Liesa!
The best of the lot!
Bravo!

Thank you. It's also one of my faves!

We had it in my sister's room. Except it was purple.

Everyone over (or near) 50 had it. What a disgusting fad.

Cool!
Never seen them like that.
Yes, swam with them both in and out of cages, but... both times it was kind of...
Well, an aquarium isn't exactly "wild" and the cage one they were acclimated to being there.

I hope you can see them in the open sea someday! It was really thrilling. These were docile and not dangerous at all, but still big.

Hard to say for sure with the distortion, but that does look like that's what they are.

Well, it's the best I could do. :)

In that area? Do they venture into salt water?

Yes, they can do either from what I understand- Briny is their gig.

Another beautiful shot.

Thanks!!

... there it is.

Had to. ;)

You paint a beautiful picture, Liesa.

This was a fun update to write. :)

Another terrific capture!
You were on your game that day!

The area made it easy! So much to see there!

I do!
But only because I didn't have breakfast.

:snooty:

I think.

Sounds like my lunch. But I *know* I didn't have any.

And not a hard paper knife. I mean... flimsy.

Wow!!

Yay! Looking forward to that!

Hopefully this week!

^ Expand for replies

Although I prefer a canoe to a kayak, that paddle looks wonderful. Very different from anything I've done here at home for sure!

You need an intervention.

I need more time at Disney.

Except it wasn't.

Was for me!!

A girl can always hope...

Oh?

And then there's pizza.

Uh.... what???

The cinnamon rolls are too sweet for me without something to balance it with.

Nope. Sorry. That's just wrong.

Wrong. You've not maybe had gooooood coffee. There is a difference.

Okay. I'll actually give you that one.
I've only had... 4 cups in my life.

Mostly and it goes generally N-S.

Ah, okay.

I really liked it. But!, I like fish. Especially smoked fish.

me too!

With coffee!!!

No!!

Slowed very quickly to make art turn we almost missed.

Ah. So earned, then.

Cream cheese, smoked fish, herbs, tobacco. I liked it!

Tobacco??!??!?!?!?!?

I need to be doing, adventuring, being IN it.

Ditto.

Everyone over (or near) 50 had it. What a disgusting fad.

Not at the time. At the time it was cool.

I hope you can see them in the open sea someday! It was really thrilling. These were docile and not dangerous at all, but still big.

Then definitely nurses.

Well, it's the best I could do. :)

Wasn't complaining!
Very good considering you shot from a kayak through the surface to a moving object.

Yes, they can do either from what I understand- Briny is their gig.

Learned something!

But sometimes it is hard to slow it back down later in the day

Yes, but worth it!

Wrong. A lot of things beat a wonderfully prepared cup of coffee. Considering I can't stand to drink the stuff.

What am I gonna do with you guys?!

That sounds awesome! You really got to see a lot. I'm glad you had a chance to do this!

Oh, we're just getting started.

Looks right to me. I should know. I watch a lot of shark week!

The kayak tour looks pretty incredible. I'm glad that you were able to do it and didn't have to end up calling search and rescue.

Then I'll go with my expert witness in this one.

Nah! We are ok with maps. ;) Even if we did almost enter the motor craft lane at one point. :scared:

Coffee cake too!
Yum!

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk, buttermilk, almond, or coconut milk
  • ½ cup vegetable, canola oil, or melted coconut oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • buttercream icing

1. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl. Whisk through to combine.
  2. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
  3. Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
Oops! Did I forget to add the coffee? Oh, dear.

Hi Liesa
Just read your latest update.looks like a great way to spend a relaxing morning kayaking around the mangroves.You captured some great photos of the wildlife and the mangroves along the way.

She is an amazing story teller! Thanks for the encouragement on reading, sometimes it gets overwhelming on how’s much I need to catch up on!

There are many amazing story tellers here. I love how unique each one is. :)

Ok cool, you’ve got so much going on I have no idea how you keep up with it all. Obviously you are the “divide and conquer” type and I’m the “run and hide” type :rolleyes1

Overly ambitious comes to mind as well... ;)

Okey dokey! I’ll still send you my plans via PM. As they have changed slightly. Just learned that MK is open until 2am in our arrival day and the kids are all for it. We will see if I can make it after a 6am flight

Sounds good! I'll wait on that and try to call again meantime. :)

Us too. My trips are usually pretty well packed. Even if it’s just a fly by hug we will make it happen!

Perfect!

Ok, no worries. We leave on the 16th. Wish I could stay for Dapper Days but I’m lucky as it is to be away from work for 5 days.

Me too! That'd be fun!

I loved this adventure. I've never kayaked but would love to do something like this. Much better than actually being in the water with the sea life. I too get sea sick real easy. Your photos are superb.

Thanks, Vanessa!

Well, ummm.... as for being in the water.....

Thank you! It was fun seeing everything and getting to use my camera!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter