AbD and Cell Phones Abroad

wdwsos

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I posted this as a reply in the Viva Italia thread, but thought the information might be useful to others. I know we were pretty lost the first time we started researching the options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzinner
From what OPs have mentioned I think it's a good idea to have a phone or buy phone cards. I don't know if the phone cards are valid through all of Europe or just for the country where you purchase the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I usually recommend a few different options to clients, depending on how much they want to spend and how many countries they'll be visiting. Also, a big consideration is if you'll be on the phone often (my sons w/girlfriends) or using the phone just for emergencies.

You can usually have your existing GSM phone unlocked, either by the phone company (if you're a long time customer) or by purchasing an unlock code online. However, unless your phone is a quad-band (working on all four frequencies), it may be useless overseas. Also, if your phone does not use a SIM card, it will also be useless.

Assuming you have an unlocked phone with a removeable SIM card, one of the options on this site may help: http://www.telestial.com/view_produc...T_ID=MSIM-GR01

The SIM cards have the roaming charges built in, so you can keep the same number while traveling to multiple countries. There's a lot more yada yada to read, all on the site. :)

Most international SIM cards have free incoming calls. Just remember that anyone calling you is calling an international number, so it's not free for them!

Another option is to actually buy the international phone. I think the call prices on these phones are high, but if it's only for emergencies it's really not a bad deal at all: http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets-si.asp

Even the least expensive phone works well. Incoming calls are NOT free for these phones.

If you're only traveling to one country, you can often pick up an inexpensive phone or SIM card once there. I like the ones above because the number travels with you. I also like to have all that taken care of before I leave.

We've tried out both of the above options. I also use my Blackberry overseas. I used the phone infrequently this time but checked all of my emails (and downloaded attachments) and my bill was only $50.00 more than usual.

Hopefully this isn't way more than you needed to know!

Dotti

Hi Dotti,

Thanks for the info about cell phones. What do you think about renting a satellite phone that works in China, or anywhere in the world for that matter?

Allen

Allen

I have a Verizon cell phone. I had their "International Plan" added a couple of days before I left for China. I used my cell phone to call home several times while I was in China. I've had bad experiences with using phone cards internationally. Although I couldn't get service in Guilin (or Hong Kong for some reason), I was able to use it in Beijing and Shanghai. I couldn't access voicemail, but I can't access that even in Canada. The charges were not too exorbitant. I think it was about $1/minute. For the convenience and the peace of mind, it was well worth it.

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the info! I also have a Verizon cell phone, so I'll have to check that out.

Allen

When I called Verizon they said I'd have to get a different phone - I have a razor.

When I called Verizon they said I'd have to get a different phone - I have a razor.

Thanks for the info. I have a Treo - had no problems.

I think the reason I might not have been able to phone from Hong Kong was the location of the hotel - it's pretty far removed from anything else. If I'd tried to phone from the city, I may have been able to get a signal.

That's odd. Unless, they have more than one type, RAZR phones work overseas because they're quad-band GSM phones. From Motorola's website:

Travel Around
Jetset around the world without missing a call. The quad-band technology keeps you connected in more than 100 countries worldwide
~~

That was one of the phones we had unlocked last year. We just bought one of the SIM cards I mentioned earlier, insert it, and we were good to go.

I'm far from an expert, though. Probably why I'm confused. :)

Dotti

I called At&T the other day and asked about my iPhone and Europe. It can be used there. The web and e-mail can be used, but they suggest putting it on Wi-Fi and to turn off roaming because then you will not be charged.

We just bought 2 Mobal phones (Motorola Razrs) for our non-ABD Mediterranean cruise next month. It's an investment that we'll use over and over again in the future and I like the idea that I can always send one with our kid(s) if they were to ever go overseas without us. :hug:

We also couldn't pass up the call credit deal that they offer - scroll down to the bottom of the page to see their offer. If anyone is seriously considering purchasing Mobal phones, email me (my nick at hotmail) or PM me. They have a really good referral program so you can get even more call credit and I can get a discount on the phone rates. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter