ABD Arizona - Arriving Day Early Question

finster

Earning My Ears
Question for those who have done ABD Arizona/Utah before. I'm not a fan of flying in on "Day of" in case of flight delays, cancellations, etc. We booked our ABD (through our travel agent) to arrive the day before, we are staying at the Enchantment on our own reservation the night before.

For those that have done the ABD Arizona itinerary - any major downsides to this? I know if we arrive day of, we meet the guides at the airport, take the bus, etc. Just want to make sure we aren't missing out on anything or complicating things by coming in the day before...

Thanks.
--Dave

I am TOTALLY with you on not arriving "day of". It's too big a risk, and too much stress at the beginning of what's supposed to be a vacation. Flights can go wrong at any time, even if it's just delays, and more so the last couple of years. Why do that to yourself unless you have to? You are definitely not alone in this; I think you'll find most of the folks on this Forum would agree with you.

At least in the past (and I can't imagine this has changed, but who knows) this is one of the few ABDs that does a "mass transfer" from the Airport to where the ABD starts in Sedona, so you likely will NOT be able to get ABD to pick you up on any day that's not the day of the start of the ABD. But since you are staying at the same hotel that the ABD starts at, it couldn't hurt to check (their policy on this changes all the time). However, if ABD isn't offering pre-nights, it's probably because of the mass transfer.

The motorcoach used to stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way to Sedona. I'm sad to see that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. But honestly, if they are still doing the mass transfer to the Enchantment, my suggestion would be to spend that first day and night in Phoenix, then meet the group at the Phoenix airport for the pickup and take the motorcoach to Sedona with everyone else. That's what I did, and it worked really well. There's bound to be some fun stuff and bonding going on during that drive (and possibly unscheduled stops) and it would be a shame to miss it. There's a TON of places to stay in Phoenix, plenty of stuff to do, and you'll be right where you need to be to be picked up day of. Just verify this all with ABD before you make any changes.

Again, this is assuming the pickup is the mass motorcoach transfer they've done in the past. Your TA can find this out from ABD. If it isn't, and they are doing individual pickups, then there's probably no downside to staying at the Enchantment the night before.

This is still one of my very favorite ABDs!

Sayhello

Last edited:
we did Arizona/Utah in 2021.. Came in very early the day of.. had to wait in Airport for ~ 4 hours for everyone to get there.. NO food at the airport because we had left the secure area. Then mass bus exodus to Montezuma's Castle.. if i had to do it over again i would come in a day early and go to Enchantment Resort.. Clearly the best resort on the trip. Lots to do at resort or in Sedona--or just chill by the pool . Have a great trip. We levae for Alaska in a month

we did Arizona/Utah in 2021.. Came in very early the day of.. had to wait in Airport for ~ 4 hours for everyone to get there.. NO food at the airport because we had left the secure area. Then mass bus exodus to Montezuma's Castle.. if i had to do it over again i would come in a day early and go to Enchantment Resort.. Clearly the best resort on the trip. Lots to do at resort or in Sedona--or just chill by the pool . Have a great trip. We levae for Alaska in a month
Outstanding. Thanks for this advice..

I am TOTALLY with you on not arriving "day of". It's too big a risk, and too much stress at the beginning of what's supposed to be a vacation. Flights can go wrong at any time, even if it's just delays, and more so the last couple of years. Why do that to yourself unless you have to? You are definitely not alone in this; I think you'll find most of the folks on this Forum would agree with you.

At least in the past (and I can't imagine this has changed, but who knows) this is one of the few ABDs that does a "mass transfer" from the Airport to where the ABD starts in Sedona, so you likely will NOT be able to get ABD to pick you up on any day that's not the day of the start of the ABD. But since you are staying at the same hotel that the ABD starts at, it couldn't hurt to check (their policy on this changes all the time). However, if ABD isn't offering pre-nights, it's probably because of the mass transfer.

The motorcoach used to stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way to Sedona. I'm sad to see that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. But honestly, if they are still doing the mass transfer to the Enchantment, my suggestion would be to spend that first day and night in Phoenix, then meet the group at the Phoenix airport for the pickup and take the motorcoach to Sedona with everyone else. That's what I did, and it worked really well. There's bound to be some fun stuff and bonding going on during that drive (and possibly unscheduled stops) and it would be a shame to miss it. There's a TON of places to stay in Phoenix, plenty of stuff to do, and you'll be right where you need to be to be picked up day of. Just verify this all with ABD before you make any changes.

Again, this is assuming the pickup is the mass motorcoach transfer they've done in the past. Your TA can find this out from ABD. If it isn't, and they are doing individual pickups, then there's probably no downside to staying at the Enchantment the night before.

This is still one of my very favorite ABDs!

Sayhello
Thank you for this!

Like others mentioned, this is one of the large bus transfers from Phoenix up to Sedona on the first day. If you book Enchantment resort on your own, you would be responsible for getting yourself there and then meeting up with the group when they arrive on day 1. This is a pretty big downside IMO, since Sedona is a good distance from Phoenix.

If you book a pre-night with ABD, you'll get picked up from the airport on day 0. I would be interested to hear if somebody booked pre-nights with ABD where they spent the night, either for this trip or other large transfer ones. I imagine it would be somewhere in Phoenix, then you would all take the bus to the airport the following day to pick up the rest of the group. But maybe if half the group is getting there early it's possible they would bus them to Enchantment right when they arrive.

If you want to book it on your own just to be there early and aren't picky about the hotel, I recommend the Embassy Suites Scottsdale. Big rooms, free happy hour and breakfast. Scottsdale and Tempe are fun places to spend a night.

We are doing the Arizona/Utah ABD this summer and chose to do pre-nights in Scottsdale as we are flying in from the east coast and I didn't want to drive all the way to Sedona after a long flight. It was also cheaper to stay in Scottsdale than stay at Enchantment - we basically got 3 nights in Scottsdale for the price of 1 night at Enchantment. We will then meet the ABD group on our starting day back at the airport at the pick-up location. I felt this was best case scenario for us as we can acclimate to the time change, see an area we won't see on the tour and, also, not miss anything they may do on the bus ride to Enchantment.

Question for those who have done ABD Arizona/Utah before. I'm not a fan of flying in on "Day of" in case of flight delays, cancellations, etc. We booked our ABD (through our travel agent) to arrive the day before, we are staying at the Enchantment on our own reservation the night before.

For those that have done the ABD Arizona itinerary - any major downsides to this? I know if we arrive day of, we meet the guides at the airport, take the bus, etc. Just want to make sure we aren't missing out on anything or complicating things by coming in the day before...

Thanks.
--Dave
Flying in the day before is an excellent idea!! Stay in Phoeniz the night before, get a hotel with an airport shuttle. We stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites. You will save a lot of money by staying in Phoeniz the night before.

We did this adventure in March. It was fantastic! We arrived 2 days early and stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites near the airport. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport, so we just rode the shuttle back to the airport on the day the adventure started.

While the Enchantment Resort is lovely and I wish we had more time there, the trade-off is you will miss some bonding time on the bus/a stop or two/getting to know your guides. Plus, they usually do make a stop at Montezuma’s Castle. We had to fit this stop in *after* Sedona because a family arrived late on the first day (Exhibit A of why you shouldn’t fly in the day an adventure starts - if you can help it), but we did make two other little stops on the way to the Enchantment Resort. With traffic, it took us over 2 hours to get to Enchantment Resort from Phoenix. That’s quite a ways to Uber or whatever from Phoenix Airport.

We're flying in from NC for this ABD and are staying two pre-adventure nights in Scottsdale. We are renting a car and will meet the rest of the group back at the airport on Day 1.

We did this trip in 2022. Flew in two days early to catch a Diamondbacks game. Stayed at the airport Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix/Tempe airport. Free shuttle service, clean, and free breakfast. Took free shuttle back to airport to meet up with group and start the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter