ABD Australia-- should I go by myself??

Jetergirl

Earning My Ears
Hi All! I'm new to posting, but I've lurked around, mainly on the DCL boards.

I'm planning on booking the Discovery Down Under trip for myself (getting the Disney points to use as a graduation gift and weonly ave enough for one person to go..), but I'm nervous going on a group tour by myself. I'm 22 year old young woman, and I'm nervous I'll feel out of place. Is it mainly families with young kids on the tours, specifically the one in Australia? I'd do the Adult only 1, but the only date is in September and if all goes according to plan, I'll be in graduate school. I'm looking at the dates in June..

Has anyone around my age done a solo trip via ABD, or especially, has anyone done the solo Australia trip before, or been in a group with people that have? Any input would be great :) Thanks!!

Hello-this is my first posting as well. I took my family on the Australia Adventure (wife and 3 daughters) last November. We had the time of our lives. I was surprised on the number of single people that were on the adventure. I think you should go for it. Yes, we have several families but there were 3 single people and they quickly became part of the disney family. It's an adventure that you should not pass up. LOVED IT. Vince

I did this trip with a friend, and I would not hesitate to do it as a solo traveler.

I went to go book it today...but with the single person supplement, it would be 800ish points (an extra 220)...we'd have to borrow A LOT from next use cycle and I'm just not sure what to do anymore. Either way, I'm going to Australia...but I'm not sure if using 2 years of my family's vacation points is the best way to do it. Is there anyway that I can (or Disney can) find another person going single and maybe introduce us and pair us up?!?! ...wishful thinking

I went to go book it today...but with the single person supplement, it would be 800ish points (an extra 220)...we'd have to borrow A LOT from next use cycle and I'm just not sure what to do anymore. Either way, I'm going to Australia...but I'm not sure if using 2 years of my family's vacation points is the best way to do it. Is there anyway that I can (or Disney can) find another person going single and maybe introduce us and pair us up?!?! ...wishful thinking

Given your age, that you're alone, and the cost of doing this - can I make the suggestion you consider a company like Contiki instead (where the vast majority on the tour will be single, and in your age group too)? I know you mentioned getting points for your graduation, but it might be better to rent out the points, pay for a Contiki trip, and you'll still have thousands left over for the airfare and spending money! Just a suggestion :)

Of course - the accommodation won't be luxury (they stay in cabins lodges, homesteads, bush camps etc), but you'll be doing heaps of fun activities and mixing with loads of people between 18-35 who are also travelling on their own. I went on one 20 years ago (okay, feeling old now and I'm too old to be allowed on one again!) and had a wonderful time. To put the costs in perspective, the 25-day Aussie Explorer trip takes you to waaay more places, with more activities, yet costs only $3000 including meals and accommodation (and no tips required - Aussies don't tip.) That's just one of their Australian trips (and one of the most expensive too!)

But if you have your heart set on ABD, go for it! Some of their trips look amazing, and those who have posted about their Aussie ABD trips had a good time.

Cheers
Mountainjourno (an Aussie!)

Given your age, that you're alone, and the cost of doing this - can I make the suggestion you consider a company like Contiki instead (where the vast majority on the tour will be single, and in your age group too)? I know you mentioned getting points for your graduation, but it might be better to rent out the points, pay for a Contiki trip, and you'll still have thousands left over for the airfare and spending money! Just a suggestion :)

Of course - the accommodation won't be luxury (they stay in cabins lodges, homesteads, bush camps etc), but you'll be doing heaps of fun activities and mixing with loads of people between 18-35 who are also travelling on their own. I went on one 20 years ago (okay, feeling old now and I'm too old to be allowed on one again!) and had a wonderful time. To put the costs in perspective, the 25-day Aussie Explorer trip takes you to waaay more places, with more activities, yet costs only $3000 including meals and accommodation (and no tips required - Aussies don't tip.) That's just one of their Australian trips (and one of the most expensive too!)

But if you have your heart set on ABD, go for it! Some of their trips look amazing, and those who have posted about their Aussie ABD trips had a good time.

Cheers
Mountainjourno (an Aussie!)

Thank you so so so much for this tip! I love Disney, I do, but this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and on more of a college budget too!! :-D

Thank you so so so much for this tip! I love Disney, I do, but this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and on more of a college budget too!! :-D

Glad I could help! You'll have an awesome time :)

Now - if I could just suggest - there is a Contiki Aussie Explorer trip with a Whitsundays sailing option. The Whitsundays are just an INCREDIBLE place, and sailing there is something unblievable. If you can afford the time away to do that trip, it will be the holiday of a lifetime.

Okay - now I want to go too. Darn their age limit (and the fact that I'm married with kids wouldn't go over well on that trip either... ABD is definitely more in tune with our needs than Contiki!)

If you were my age I'd say go on the ABD. I must agree with previous posters and go with the tour group that caters to young adults. There was only one other young adult on our recent ABD to Wyoming. Two single traveling parents. Probably be more fun on the other tours. You wouldn't be disappointed with an ABD but it would be like hanging out with your folk's friends I'm afraid :goodvibes

I just did this trip with my friend in July. We were the only singles on the tour and we are late 20's. The rest was families with kids. There is a lot of down time and on your own time on this tour and I would recommend going with someone. I did the Viva Italia tour in 2007 and that was way more jam packed with stuff to do. There were people who did that trip alone and it was way easier on your own, in my opinion. If you want to have fun as a 20-something in Australia, bring a friend. The tour guides are young and cool though! I just don't think this is a good ABD to do alone.

I am older, but I did the ABD adults-only tour - no children, so no being the outsiders amongst families with children. All our guests were over the age of 35 though. I'm guessing younger persons have difficulty affording the Disney tours.

I took my family on the discovery down under trip, a year and a half ago. (3 kids) it was an adventure of a lifetime. unforgettable trip and you should definitely go! I will recommend the sydney bridge climb. wow that was fantastic! Definitely something to try to work into your free time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter