ABD China 2017

Hi Jen. We leave next week too and must be on your trip. I am finally getting on the board to get some info. What are you planning to do for restaurants? My kids both have birthdays while on the tour and we want to plan some special meals for those days. Appreciate any advice you have based on your prep. At this rate I am not sure I am going to catch up with all of the old postings.

Robin
Hi Robin. I thought I would introduce myself. We (my husband and I) are on the same China trip as you and Jen. We are leaving our children (20 somethings) at home. Jen gave you some excellent recommendations. We only arrive one day early, but we are doing the Big Buddha as well followed by lunch at the Crystal Lotus in the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. We have ordered the special Disney Dim Sum lunch.

In Beijing, we have also booked Capital M and have left the other OYO dinner open.

In Chengdu, we plan to eat at Flair. I think is it is a bar which is maybe why they describe it as more adult.

In Shanghai, we are eating at M on the Bund and then the Royal Banquet Hall in Shanghai Disneyland for our two post nights. We have also booked the Miki Tongli Water Town tour.

Looking forward to this trip and meeting everyone!

-Kristen

Thanks Jen and Kristen. Your info is so helpful.

We are arriving on Friday night. Our son will be 15 and daughter will be 18. We have been so busy with graduation and related events that we haven't thought much about the trip until now. I will definitely be contacting the hotel concierge for reservation help.

Looking forward meeting everyone.

Robin

Wondering what the internet situation is in China. Obviously people are posting here from China so there is access, but I've read so many stories about the "Great Firewall" of China and restricted access to social media. Has anybody experienced any difficulty?

Wondering what the internet situation is in China. Obviously people are posting here from China so there is access, but I've read so many stories about the "Great Firewall" of China and restricted access to social media. Has anybody experienced any difficulty?
I'm curious, too! I've downloaded ExpressVPN for my phone and iPad, so we'll see how that works!

This article addresses this:

http://startuplivingchina.com/best-vpn-for-china/

Without the VPN, I could access some areas of DISBoards (probably most) but not all forums. FWIW, it was either the DCL or ABD forum that was not accessible. FB was locked down for sure. And I think Gmail was inaccessible. Anyway, with the ExpressVPN, I had no issues.

This article addresses this:

http://startuplivingchina.com/best-vpn-for-china/

Without the VPN, I could access some areas of DISBoards (probably most) but not all forums. FWIW, it was either the DCL or ABD forum that was not accessible. FB was locked down for sure. And I think Gmail was inaccessible. Anyway, with the ExpressVPN, I had no issues.

I'm in the lounge right now ready to fly back and I've been able to access the abd board the entire trip--I didn't bother with a vpn because I wanted to be unplugged for a while. You can't access google at all which was a minor pain because that's my default search engine. I had to manually use yahoo to search for things every time. The only ither inconvenience I experienced was not having yelp for quick restaurant searches.

I will caution everyone that there is very little downtime on this trip--the guidebook is off in a number of places. I believe we really only had one afternooon on our own (in chengdu). I'd reserve at least one dinner for the country kitchen at the hotel in Beijing. It was so good that many of us ate there twice. They had the best noodles and dumplings I've ever had in my life--and I love both--they make them right there. It was also extremely reasonable. The food was about the same cost as our drinks!

I'll do a better wrap up when I get home but the rosewood was an amazing hotel--the favorite of everyone I spoke to. Don't miss the noodle soup on the breakfast buffet.

Whoever goes, I am anxious to see the set of ABD China pins that you get! :)
I'll be sure & post a photo with my report!

I'm curious, too! I've downloaded ExpressVPN for my phone and iPad, so we'll see how that works!
Express VPN worked wonderfully for me. needed it for gmail and Facebook, although I didn't have much time for fb!!

I'm in the lounge right now ready to fly back and I've been able to access the abd board the entire trip--I didn't bother with a vpn because I wanted to be unplugged for a while. You can't access google at all which was a minor pain because that's my default search engine. I had to manually use yahoo to search for things every time. The only ither inconvenience I experienced was not having yelp for quick restaurant searches.

I will caution everyone that there is very little downtime on this trip--the guidebook is off in a number of places. I believe we really only had one afternooon on our own (in chengdu). I'd reserve at least one dinner for the country kitchen at the hotel in Beijing. It was so good that many of us ate there twice. They had the best noodles and dumplings I've ever had in my life--and I love both--they make them right there. It was also extremely reasonable. The food was about the same cost as our drinks!

I'll do a better wrap up when I get home but the rosewood was an amazing hotel--the favorite of everyone I spoke to. Don't miss the noodle soup on the breakfast buffet.
Safe travels!! Loved meeting you guys. I'm in the lounge at Hong Kong, waiting for my flight. :)

I'll definitely second what CaliforniaGirl09 said. Pretty much no down time, and country kitchen & the Rosewood are fabulous! I'll post more when I get home.

Sayhello

Last edited:

I'd reserve at least one dinner for the country kitchen at the hotel in Beijing. It was so good that many of us ate there twice. They had the best noodles and dumplings I've ever had in my life--and I love both--they make them right there. It was also extremely reasonable. The food was about the same cost as our drinks!

That's great to hear! I wanted to try Country Kitchen this Fall.

Just made reservations at the Country Kitchen for our ABD trip in a couple weeks. Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad you had a great trip @CaliforniaGirl09 and @sayhello

So glad to hear from you guys. Can't wait to read your trip reports. Forget laundry, e-mails, bills, mail...we want details!! ;)

Safe travels to everyone returning home ... that time flew!

Can't wait to hear more and I hope you both had an amazing trip!

Thanks for this. Our plans are mostly pre and post, but I was debating if I should plan anything during the tour itself, firmly, no it seems like.

Would also love to hear more about the internal travel flights/logistics/delays etc ... I'm really curious about that!

Thanks for this. Our plans are mostly pre and post, but I was debating if I should plan anything during the tour itself, firmly, no it seems like.

Would also love to hear more about the internal travel flights/logistics/delays etc ... I'm really curious about that!
I second that! I am sure you are jet lagged but any more tidbits you could share would be helpful. I am curious about the air pollution and the number of early mornings as well. Were you able to dress up for the farewell dinner after spending the afternoon at Shanghai DL?

I second that! I am sure you are jet lagged but any more tidbits you could share would be helpful. I am curious about the air pollution and the number of early mornings as well. Were you able to dress up for the farewell dinner after spending the afternoon at Shanghai DL?
Air pollution was not too bad. I know there was one day, I believe in Beijing, where CaliforniaGirl09 complained of problems. And our post-day in Shanghai, I was very congested and had a bit of a hacking cough. I think it was the air. But in general, it wasn't bad. However, it seems our trip was rather blessed weather-wise in general (only 1 1/2 days of light rain). So what we experienced might not be applicable to all the trips.

I'm hoping to start my Trip Report very soon, but if you have specific questions, please ask!!

And they did provide us with a room to store nicer clothes to change into prior to the farewell dinner. I guess I'll post this here, because I don't think I'll last until that day on my Trip Report, but this did happen:

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

Sayhello

Last edited:
Air pollution was not too bad. I know there was one day, I believe in Beijing, where CaliforniaGirl09 complained of problems. And our post-day in Shanghai, I was very congested and had a bit of a hacking cough. I think it was the air. But in general, it wasn't bad. However, it seems our trip was rather blessed weather-wise in general (only 1 1/2 days of light rain). So what we experienced might not be applicable to all the trips.

And they did provide us with a room to store nicer clothes to change into prior to the farewell dinner. I guess I'll post this here, because I don't think I'll last until that day on my Trip Report, but this did happen:

IMG_2170_zpsiv2s9yy6.jpg

IMG_2185_zpskfotrhf9.jpg

Sayhello
EEK! I am so exited now! That photo on the balcony is amazing!

I think I will pack my inhaler and a mask (just in case).

Were you able to find clean, western toilets?

Sounds like you lucked out with great weather!!

EEK! I am so exited now! That photo on the balcony is amazing!

I think I will pack my inhaler and a mask (just in case).

Were you able to find clean, western toilets?

Sounds like you lucked out with great weather!!
The clean, western toilets were hit and miss. Most places had at least one (although not all, like at the exit to the Temple of Heaven). In the Hutong, the bathrooms were one big room, with open 1/2 wall stalls, and all squatty potties!! They really get to know their neighbors well! Even the airport in Chengdu, the one western toilet was broken.

The inhaler & a mask couldn't hurt.

The first day in Hong Kong, especially HKD, the humidity was hellish. It was that way in the market after the Li River cruise in Guilin also. But overall, yes, we lucked out big time. Our day at Shanghai Disney was the perfect Disney Park weather day. (It was perfect in so many ways, actually!)

Sayhello

Last edited:
It looks like it was a great trip. Yeah, the humidity in HK is oppressive. I remember buying umbrellas at Mystic Manor to provide a little bit of help. It looks like the humidity is about 25%+ higher than Orlando.

I'm eager to read a full trip report, but I'm particularly curious to hear your thoughts on restaurants in HK, Beijing and Shanghai and the Rosewood and Peninsula. Those look to be significant upgrades from a couple yrs ago. In Oct we're staying at the Rosewood, and although we're staying in HKDL Hotel for the ABD, we're spending a couple of pre nights at the Peninsula to be closer to HK.

We had the most amazing adventure; just traveling home now.
Quick mention that the Tongli Water Town tour with Miki was a trip highlight. It was amazing!!!! I hate to spoil any wonderful surprises, but we got way more than our money's worth. Miki was very professional, engaging and informative. Her tour took us inside the "real China" and provided a truly unforgettable experience. The lunch was the best! I can't say enough except this tour is not to be missed and is worth the add-on day!! It runs from about 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM and is full of unfolding wonders. If you go, please tell Miki Karen and Michael say hello!

Hi Robin. I thought I would introduce myself. We (my husband and I) are on the same China trip as you and Jen. We are leaving our children (20 somethings) at home. Jen gave you some excellent recommendations. We only arrive one day early, but we are doing the Big Buddha as well followed by lunch at the Crystal Lotus in the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. We have ordered the special Disney Dim Sum lunch.

In Beijing, we have also booked Capital M and have left the other OYO dinner open.

In Chengdu, we plan to eat at Flair. I think is it is a bar which is maybe why they describe it as more adult.

In Shanghai, we are eating at M on the Bund and then the Royal Banquet Hall in Shanghai Disneyland for our two post nights. We have also booked the Miki Tongli Water Town tour.

Looking forward to this trip and meeting everyone!

-Kristen
Quick warning about Flair in Chengdu. For two persons with one glass of wine was $250 so be careful! Most persons in our group ate ate at Opera and spent less than $10 on a delicious bowl of dumplings. Choices at Flair included Duck's Blood Soup, Bullfrog Stew and Pig's Feet, but desserts were extraordinary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts