ABD China changes?

They removed the april date from their website! Next trip date is May 17. There are a total of 3 dates in May so we will need to keep track of those itineraries.

This whole situation really is a good selling point for a package tour like ABD. We cancelled our Singapore/Borneo trip today because Singapore raised the threat level from coronavirus. I had to send 10 different emails to cancel things and I am sure many of the places are going to give me a hard time about refunds. The news today reported that coronavirus is likely already in the US - beyond those identified and quaranteened, so this promises to be a tough situation for a while.

This whole situation really is a good selling point for a package tour like ABD. We cancelled our Singapore/Borneo trip today because Singapore raised the threat level from coronavirus. I had to send 10 different emails to cancel things and I am sure many of the places are going to give me a hard time about refunds. The news today reported that coronavirus is likely already in the US - beyond those identified and quaranteened, so this promises to be a tough situation for a while.

I feel we may soon be in a similar boat...Booked a family vacation for DH’s 40th birthday to Thailand for mid-March. Our flight connects in Singapore, but at least no time in Bangkok or around a lot of crowds—-more nature/beaches. Still, I am getting more uneasy about taking the risk with our three kids.

Looking at about 8k of non refundable costs. I’d be interested to learn what success you experience in getting refunds.

Royal Caribbean will not accept any China and Hong Kong passports for any cruise. Can’t trust the Chinese government infection numbers I guess.

Royal Caribbean will not accept any China and Hong Kong passports for any cruise. Can’t trust the Chinese government infection numbers I guess.
The issue seems to be that a large percentage of people with the illness don't get that sick. So unfortunately lots of contagious people left China and spread the illness far and wide - many without realizing what they had. Aside from the fear, and death, and my ruined trip, I have found it kind of interesting to learn about how medical professionals are investigating and tracking this thing.

The issue seems to be that a large percentage of people with the illness don't get that sick. So unfortunately lots of contagious people left China and spread the illness far and wide - many without realizing what they had. Aside from the fear, and death, and my ruined trip, I have found it kind of interesting to learn about how medical professionals are investigating and tracking this thing.

Agreed. I read an article this morning that says they now suspect it originated from pangolins and not bats. Last year this time we'd have recently gotten back from China and I was getting ready to visit Japan... I'd be a wreck with worry! As it is I was nervous about the cruise we'd just gotten back from (there were a lot of people sick and some contracted the B strain of the flu).

I feel we may soon be in a similar boat...Booked a family vacation for DH’s 40th birthday to Thailand for mid-March. Our flight connects in Singapore, but at least no time in Bangkok or around a lot of crowds—-more nature/beaches. Still, I am getting more uneasy about taking the risk with our three kids.

Looking at about 8k of non refundable costs. I’d be interested to learn what success you experience in getting refunds.

I came back to report at 100% success rate in getting refunds for my OYO trip. I got "no refunds" as the initial answer from most of the hotels/airlines, but they relented when I refused to go away. If you wind up cancelling, then I think you will get some money back if you are tenacious.

Thank you for the update.
I came back to report at 100% success rate in getting refunds for my OYO trip. I got "no refunds" as the initial answer from most of the hotels/airlines, but they relented when I refused to go away. If you wind up cancelling, then I think you will get some money back if you are tenacious.

Thank you for the update. We have cancelled the refundable portions of our trip and plan to work on the nonrefundable cancellations soon. Your experience is helpful to know!

Still waiting to see what ABD is going to do about our May trip....
Was your trip through ABD? We are praying they will cancel our May trip....no word yet.

Still waiting to see what ABD is going to do about our May trip....

Was your trip through ABD? We are praying they will cancel our May trip....no word yet.
No. It was on our own, which is why the refunds are a hassle. I trust that ABD will cancel if the coronavirus situation continues. They won't risk the health of guests. But with so much unknown at this point, I understand why they are waiting to make the call.

How can you sell a trip where you MUST be quarantined for 2 weeks upon return? Plus try to find a flight to China tonight.....refunds all around!

So spoke to a vacationista and at the moment they have not had any talks yet about the upcoming May trips. I was calling about adding trip insurance for another adventure and we were using the pandemic as an example. So if you used the pandemic as your reason of cancelation with their trip insurance, you would get a credit that needs to be used within a year, which is 75%. The only way you get all of your money back is for them to cancel, or you have a valid reasoning that you could explain to the adjustor to get 100% (i.e. something happens to you or a family member).

So spoke to a vacationista and at the moment they have not had any talks yet about the upcoming May trips. I was calling about adding trip insurance for another adventure and we were using the pandemic as an example. So if you used the pandemic as your reason of cancelation with their trip insurance, you would get a credit that needs to be used within a year, which is 75%. The only way you get all of your money back is for them to cancel, or you have a valid reasoning that you could explain to the adjustor to get 100% (i.e. something happens to you or a family member).

Do I understand this correctly, you would be able to add Disney's insurance to an existing trip you have booked (like more than 14 days ago) and still be able to claim pandemic for your reason for cancelling?

Do I understand this correctly, you would be able to add Disney's insurance to an existing trip you have booked (like more than 14 days ago) and still be able to claim pandemic for your reason for cancelling?
You can add trip insurance anytime I think as long as you haven't paid in full. The 14 day is for pre-existing condition. If you add the trip insurance after 14 days, and you use the corona virus as your reason for canceling (it would be cancel for any reason), you don't get your money back, it would be a travel credit that needs to be used within a year for another trip. It's only 75% you would get back. Hence why disney either has to cancel for you to get 100% back.

You only get 100% back for a covered reason cancellation which they define on the website.

Not really. You'd have to invoke the "Cancel for any Reason" part of the policy, which apparently says you get paid a 75% travel credit if you cancel for a non-covered reason. (I didn't know the ABD policy included this). The pandemic is not a covered reason, especially since it's already been declared.

ETA: OK, the "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage is actually provided by ABD, not the insurance company. If the insurance company turns down your claim, ABD will provide you a travel credit for 75% of your trip cost. You have to purchase the trip insurance through ABD to get that coverage, though. (Unless you live in Minnesota, Missouri or New York. Apparently those residents can purchase just the "Cancel for any Reason" coverage!)

Also, the ABD policy also has a $20,000 total trip cost trip cancellation limit. It says "Up to total trip cost ($20,000 limit)" but it doesn't say if that's per person or per reservation.

You can add trip insurance anytime I think as long as you haven't paid in full. The 14 day is for pre-existing condition. If you add the trip insurance after 14 days, and you use the corona virus as your reason for canceling (it would be cancel for any reason), you don't get your money back, it would be a travel credit that needs to be used within a year for another trip. It's only 75% you would get back. Hence why disney either has to cancel for you to get 100% back.

You only get 100% back for a covered reason cancellation which they define on the website.
Yes, and the pandemic would not be a covered reason, especially since it's already an existing event.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I just received word that our May 24th ABD China has been cancelled. Full refund or move to another trip.
That's tough news, but thank you for letting us know. Looks like they gave you about a 3 month heads up, which isn't terrible.

I'm relieved for you, now you can move forward and plan something else. Our ABD trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos is a month away and we are still 'on' according to Disney. They're telling people who have flights through China to rebook them. Vietnam just put a village under quarantine today that is less than 25 miles from Hanoi. Nobody seems to know what is really going on in Laos and Cambodia. I am bothered that international scientists can't find consensus on the basic facts of this virus (who is most at risk for serious complications, the number of incubation days, how to best test for it, how to treat it) but more than that I am fearful of being quarantined for weeks at a military base upon return if it's determined we have just come from an 'epidemic' area. World governments are moving so quickly and seemingly arbitrarily. I would like to rebook to avoid all of this and go another time but I'm quite stuck, it's past the final deposit and they haven't offered me any way out :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!