ABD vs other travel groups vs going it alone

letthewookiewin

<font color=blue>"That's 'cause droids don't pull
In July of 2010 my DH and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anny. We decided when we went in state for our honeymoon, that for our 15th we would go to Europe. Being the OCD trip planner that I am, I am already starting to plan our 15th Anny trip. I was looking at the ABD Knights and Lights trip. I thought going with ABD would be the best way to go b/c I wouldn't have to worry about quality. DH wants to use another group. He doesn't want to use ABD b/c it has Disney in the name and he's afraid there will be "too much Disney stuff included" (I didn't think you could ever get too much Disney). Then I have a friend telling us the way to go is to go independent of any travel group. I would just love some advice from people who can give me a comparison from ABD vs another travel company or ABD vs going it alone. If it helps, as of right now, we are planning on not taking the DS's.

These are all valid questions - and there are a few threads in here somewhere that have discussed these questions from time to time. There really is not right answer, but a few points to consider:

- ABD is *not* a Disney-themed vacation, nor is it a kiddie vacation. The Disney name brings awesome customer service, imaginitive itineraries, and comprehensive planning. You won't be running into Disney characters.

- having done regular tours and ABD, I would choose ABD hands-down. It's pricier, for sure, but I believe it's good value for the level of service we received in everything we did. We never felt rushed. We never felt like cattle. I can't say the same for some non-ABD tours we've done.

- going it alone vs. doing a tour is really an 'it depends' kind of answer. Going it alone leaves you free to explore and change your plans as you see fit. That said, you may spend more time worrying about logistics (travel, accomodation, meals, etc.) Going on a tour is obviously a more structured experience, but the logisitics of travel are largely someone else's concern. We did Knights&Lights and opted to do both: we spent a few days on our own and then hooked up with ABD. That seemed to work out pretty good - even with our kids in tow.

Feel free to puruse my trip report (link below). It might give you some more insights into all this. Also, search around this board a bit and you'll find more discussion on these topics.

Excellent response KLondon! Another thing to keep in mind is where you plan to go. The major cities really call for some type of tour, in my opinion. They know the best place to see, eat, etc. Plus they get you there without any hassles. We have done Paris both ways. And I can tell you that it was a lot better with a tour. But then a nice tour of the countryside, is sometimes best on your own. We have done a lot of driving through Austria, Germany, and Holland on our own and it was fantastic.

Great points, eva. I agree that a tour can be a great way to see the major cities - especially when your time is limited to a few days. On the ABD tour we saw *way* more than we could have on our own (and this is probably true for most structured tours). Because ABD arranged times, etc. with various places in advance, we never waited in line to get in anywhere. A few examples:

- Lunch at the Eiffel Tower was pretty much a walk-on whereas other folks were standing in elevator queues upwards of a few hours.

- We waited about 10 minutes to get into Chateau Versailles where non-tour people were in line for a few hours.

- There were some activities we simply could not have done at all on our own - such as a backstage tour after seeing Mary Poppins.

If you're going it alone and have lots of time, all this might not be that big a deal. But when you have a fixed amount of vacation time to spend, having arrangements made in advance by a tour - and not waiting in line! - is worth a *lot*, I think.

We are debating our Christmas Vacation this year - Knights and Lights or Italy with Tauck Bridges - any suggestions?

Klondon,

Enjoyed your DLP video. Did you travel on your own before the official tour?

Jodie

We recently did our first ABD trip - I say first, because we are already looking forward to planning our second. We also were concerned about vacationing "with the mouse" and I can tell you for sure, that Mickey did not come with us. Other than the ABD logo, there really weren't any visible signs of Disney. At one point on our tour, we struck up conversation with someone sitting near us on a ferry - that person was there with Perillo Tours. We compared our days, the service we were getting, the overall structure of our trips - and she wanted to bail out of hers and join ours. Can't say enough about how impressed we were with our trip - and how we wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Klondon,

Enjoyed your DLP video. Did you travel on your own before the official tour?

Jodie

Thx Jodie. The answer is yes. We did 5 days on our own in Southern England - Salisbury, Bath, and Portsmouth areas - just exploring on our own. It was fantasic (once I got over various levels of anxiety related to driving in the UK!). If you read my trip report from the beginning post, it details all the stuff we saw and did on our own, how we hooked up with ABD, etc. etc.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Kevin

Thx Jodie. The answer is yes. We did 5 days on our own in Southern England - Salisbury, Bath, and Portsmouth areas - just exploring on our own. It was fantasic (once I got over various levels of anxiety related to driving in the UK!). If you read my trip report from the beginning post, it details all the stuff we saw and did on our own, how we hooked up with ABD, etc. etc.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Kevin

I did see that - glanced at it, but thought it was from the previous year.

I have to ask this - cause I'm such a tour skeptic . . . Which did you like better, touring on your own or the organized Disney tour? Everyone is saying that the ABD trips are fantastic, but I'm having trouble getting over the money part. Plus, I think I might feel a bit trapped on a tour (like I did on the shore excursions on the Med cruise - kept wanting to go off on my own). On the other hand, it would be nice to have others to talk to and other kids for my kids to play with. We've been wanting to go to Alaska - will be curious to see the new ABD itinerary when it comes out.

Jodie

I can't compare other groups versus Disney, but can say that there is just enough Disney in the vacation to keep it fun, but it's not like you'll be walking around with mouse ears on and posing with characters all day. A few of the small surprises are Disney themed...that's about it.

I did make some comments about the benefits and disadvantages of traveling with a group in my third post on this thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1849020.

I want to add that with my teenagers, I have realized another advantage of the group was that things weren't negotiable.;) Every day the time to get out of bed and what we were doing at least during the early part of the day was set. We had some time on our own which we often used to do things that interested the boys, since our needs were met with the "forced" itinerary!:rolleyes1 Hope that helps. I think some people are happier doing their own thing, others better off with a schedule. For me, if I'm going somewhere where I would want to do a lot of tours anyhow (like Rome) it makes even more sense to tour with a group. You have to feel pretty special when nuns are waiting in an extraordinarily long line to get into the Sistine Chapel and your Disney group "fastpasses" right in!;)

I have to ask this - cause I'm such a tour skeptic . . . Which did you like better, touring on your own or the organized Disney tour? Everyone is saying that the ABD trips are fantastic, but I'm having trouble getting over the money part. Plus, I think I might feel a bit trapped on a tour (like I did on the shore excursions on the Med cruise - kept wanting to go off on my own). On the other hand, it would be nice to have others to talk to and other kids for my kids to play with. We've been wanting to go to Alaska - will be curious to see the new ABD itinerary when it comes out.

Jodie

Great question! Realistically, we are planners insofar as we always have a general (if not specific) notion of what we're doing, when we're doing it, etc. Being on our own was nice because we could make alternations to our plans and schedules on the fly. The downside (esp. with kids in tow), is that we spent a lot of time figuring out where to stay, how to travel, what to see, etc. etc.

But the tour was great, too. I understand what you're saying about the money part. I had big-time anxiety over spending the money for ABD, but I'm now a believer. We never felt trapped at all, because we were doing the things we would have done on our own. As well, we had enough free-time in there to make sure we could decompress and/or follow out own noses from time to time. We never felt rushed and we never felt like cattle. The trip was absolutley first-class and the logisitics were handled magnificently. Added to that were the nice touches here and there: local professional guides who know their stuff, access to activities that are not typically accessible to the public, etc. etc.

Having built up these ABD expectations after Knights&Lights, I'm really curious to see how ABD Costa Rica pans out for us in a few weeks.

Plus, I think I might feel a bit trapped on a tour (like I did on the shore excursions on the Med cruise - kept wanting to go off on my own).

I've cruised too and I think that there is no comparison between shore excursions and ABD. The only cruise line I've cruised has been RCCL though. Our last cruise was this past March and I came home needing a vacation from my vacation. Even though we got away, I didn't feel like I was well rested or saw anything worthwhile.

I was never bored with ABD and never felt that I wasn't getting my money's worth. Even with pools, rock climbing walls, trivia, bingo, food available 24/7, I would MUCH MUCH rather go on another ABD tour than another cruise. The quality of the ABD tour is much higher than any other vacation I've taken.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll wait and see what the Alaska prices look like and then decide. I noticed that Globus also has a few family trip. Has anyone done those?

Jodie

We did not use ABD, we used Globus for our most recent trip -- to Italy, but here are some general comments about touring versus going it alone.

1. Traveling when you don't speak the local language is MUCH harder. Not everyone in Europe speaks English. Or is kind to people who do.

2. Going alone you have to do so much research about how to get there, what to see, the history/tidbits about ea location that make it interesting, where to park, etc.

3. Being driven around place to place is a huge advantage. It doesn't matter if you're hot and tired -- you get to sit back and let someone else figure out how to get into/out of Rome. Being shown where to go and not suffernig thru the anxiety of getting lost is a huge advantage. And finally, being shown directly to your hotel and having your luggage transported for you to that hotel in Venice is PRICELESS. I would not want to find my Venetian hotel (even though ours was right off of St. Mark's) or lug my baggage around Venice over uneven cobblestones in 90 degree plus weather dodging peddlers to save any amount of money.

4. You will see so much more on a tour group bec you won't have to get to/from your car that you've parked who knows where -- the bus will come to you. And you also won't waste time standing in line. For ex, aside from a 15 minute wait outside the Florence Duomo, we never once stood in a line to get into an attraction. When the line to get into St. Mark's in Venice was about 2 hours long, we walked right in- - saved 2 precious hours right there. That's worth a lot. When you see the lines snaking around the block everywhere and it's 90 degrees out, having what amounts to a fast pass is hugely advantageous -- you not only see more, you have more energy to go on and see more.

5. Consider what kind of traveler you are. Do you enjoy doing all the homework or would you rather do some and let more experienced people do the rest? Do you get upset and anxious when you are lost or in a hurry to get from point A to point B? Will you get anxious when no one in the train station speaks English? Or it takes you 3 hours to find the train station in Venice and you lost an entire afternoon looking for it? Are you a team player or a lone wolf?

In re Globus, I would give them 5 out of 5 stars. We went on Italian Treasures in June. The group ranged in age from 13 years old to 80. My dd was 14 and loved it. My very-anxious-traveler dh also loved it -- clearly that is his best way to travel since it's the only time he hasn't gotten super anxious when traveling. Lots of walking, so it wasn't designed for older folks, though. Everything was first rate. The only time I worried was when at the last minute the Asissi hotel bailed on Globus and they had to scramble to find nearby accomodations. Our tour guide reassured us, she had a super alternative and since she hadn't misled us yet, we relaxed and 10 minutes later we ended up at the most amazing hotel in Spelo with views that were breathtaking. There was a good mix of touring in a group time and on your own time and they were very helpful about making suggestion for going on your own. The guide was very good at giving you helpful hints about everything inc the all-important "Where can I find a bathroom?' questions. They had good optional excursions -- my favorite was Burano. They took care of us from the baggage claim in Rome to the departure in Rome, beginning to end. No worries, no problems. I feel we got a great value for our money; we got a good taste of Italy -- good enough that if we never go back, we feel like we've done 'enough' to be satisified, but broad enough that if we do go back, we have an idea of what we'd want to do in more depth.

We did not use ABD, we used Globus for our most recent trip -- to Italy, but here are some general comments about touring versus going it alone.

1. Traveling when you don't speak the local language is MUCH harder. Not everyone in Europe speaks English. Or is kind to people who do.

2. Going alone you have to do so much research about how to get there, what to see, the history/tidbits about ea location that make it interesting, where to park, etc.

3. Being driven around place to place is a huge advantage. It doesn't matter if you're hot and tired -- you get to sit back and let someone else figure out how to get into/out of Rome. Being shown where to go and not suffernig thru the anxiety of getting lost is a huge advantage. And finally, being shown directly to your hotel and having your luggage transported for you to that hotel in Venice is PRICELESS. I would not want to find my Venetian hotel (even though ours was right off of St. Mark's) or lug my baggage around Venice over uneven cobblestones in 90 degree plus weather dodging peddlers to save any amount of money.

4. You will see so much more on a tour group bec you won't have to get to/from your car that you've parked who knows where -- the bus will come to you. And you also won't waste time standing in line. For ex, aside from a 15 minute wait outside the Florence Duomo, we never once stood in a line to get into an attraction. When the line to get into St. Mark's in Venice was about 2 hours long, we walked right in- - saved 2 precious hours right there. That's worth a lot. When you see the lines snaking around the block everywhere and it's 90 degrees out, having what amounts to a fast pass is hugely advantageous -- you not only see more, you have more energy to go on and see more.

5. Consider what kind of traveler you are. Do you enjoy doing all the homework or would you rather do some and let more experienced people do the rest? Do you get upset and anxious when you are lost or in a hurry to get from point A to point B? Will you get anxious when no one in the train station speaks English? Or it takes you 3 hours to find the train station in Venice and you lost an entire afternoon looking for it? Are you a team player or a lone wolf?

In re Globus, I would give them 5 out of 5 stars. We went on Italian Treasures in June. The group ranged in age from 13 years old to 80. My dd was 14 and loved it. My very-anxious-traveler dh also loved it -- clearly that is his best way to travel since it's the only time he hasn't gotten super anxious when traveling. Lots of walking, so it wasn't designed for older folks, though. Everything was first rate. The only time I worried was when at the last minute the Asissi hotel bailed on Globus and they had to scramble to find nearby accomodations. Our tour guide reassured us, she had a super alternative and since she hadn't misled us yet, we relaxed and 10 minutes later we ended up at the most amazing hotel in Spelo with views that were breathtaking. There was a good mix of touring in a group time and on your own time and they were very helpful about making suggestion for going on your own. The guide was very good at giving you helpful hints about everything inc the all-important "Where can I find a bathroom?' questions. They had good optional excursions -- my favorite was Burano. They took care of us from the baggage claim in Rome to the departure in Rome, beginning to end. No worries, no problems. I feel we got a great value for our money; we got a good taste of Italy -- good enough that if we never go back, we feel like we've done 'enough' to be satisified, but broad enough that if we do go back, we have an idea of what we'd want to do in more depth.

Thanks for your comments. We did a little independent traveling in Barcelona before the Med cruise and I enjoyed it tremendously. I actually found that most people really wanted to be helpful, and it wasn't really that difficult to communicate. I think we're pretty adventurous, and I kind of like the challenge of independent travel, but I can definitely see disadvantages as well - especially with children. I have a friend who did a Globus trip a few years ago - but not one of their family trips. Have you ever done ABD? How does that compare with Globus? Was Italian Treasures specifically a family trip? Curious.

Jodie

KNelson - we just got back from Costa Rica with ABD and had the opportunity last year to travel to Grand Canyon with Tauck Bridges. Both are great companies (so you are in great hands either way) and I was impressed that ABD really did separate the Disney characters (for the most part) on the trip. The two things that I saw as different is ABD using 2 Guides while Tauck Bridges uses 1 (advantages and disadvantages) and the Guides tips arent included with ABD but are with Bridges.

Either way you will have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter