Ack! Sick kid and we leave in a week!

Barb D

DIS Veteran
9yo DD has a BAD sore throat and a headache. Last night she had a 100.2 temp. Her temp is normal today, but she still has the sore throat and headache. I took her to the doctor this morning, and the rapid strep came back negative. The doctor says it looks viral. I almost wish it WAS strep, because then antibiotics would make it better. As it is, she just has to do the rest/fluids thing.

This would not be a big deal except that we leave for Florida (flying) next Tuesday. I'm concerned that this may last a long time or spread to the rest of us.

So throw your best healing/prevention tips my way!

BTW, it's cold and rainy outside, but there's a fire in the fireplace, DS is making us clam chowder for lunch and we're cozy and settled in for the afternoon!

A week is plenty of time for a virus to pass. The normal temp shows she's on the mend. Sending pixie dust!

I say keep her home from school a couple of day so she can rest all she needs too. As tempting as it may be to send her back as soon as she has no fever, I have learned with my DS that staying home a couple days and just resting on the couch gets him better the quickest. I agree she should be all better by the time you leave. Have everyone else wash their hands often, don't share cups and replace DD's toothbrush. Sounds like I would like to be at your home this PM. Best of Luck.

Jordans mom

Not sure where you are, but my DD (4) in Ky. is out with the same thing. She is basically over it today and this is only the 2nd day. I'm sure she'll be fine. It is a virus going around here, but it only lasts a day or two it seems. Have a great trip.

I hope your DD gets well soon! My first trip to WDW I was about 3 and I got scarlet fever right before. Since I was no longer contagious, the dr. told my parents "go anyway" and they did. I had a great time, just needed lots of rest and stayed in the pool a lot!

A week is better than tomorrow I guess.
Thinking of you and your child. This is a worry for sure.
Have you heard of those cough drops on a sucker for kids?
That is really special here. Echinecea in the sucker. Also benylin (I think) just came out with decongestant freezees for kids.

Just keep up with the mortrin/tylenol/ etc. for a while as well.
For sure keep her on the couch and rest.

Take care.

My kids had this virus last week. My youngest had 103.8 and a bad sore throat. Strep test came back neg. My son had it four days later, same thing, lower temp. They both felt fine in 24 hours. So, hopefully, this is the virus that your's has. Even if it works through the whole family, you should be fine next week. Pixie dust to you! Tonia

Sorry, wanted to add that Mom should stock up on those vitamin C drops, they are great and I think really can prevent an illness, also keep taking your daily vitamin or start now!

I also recommend Echinacea for the rest of the family, just helps build up your immunity so you won't get sick or you may get a mild case of what dd has but not as bad.

As frequent WDW guests, my 4 yr old dd is notorious for getting sick just before we're ready to go to WDW. Although we're a car ride away, I swear something happens just before every trip! This past trip it was me who was just getting over being really sick (and I had to do the driving)...dd had ended up with a double ear infection because she got too close to me but was on antibiotics while we were at WDW. We postponed a day because I had an inner ear inf and was "off balance" and could barely drive, it's amazing what difference the one day made (E.N.T. dr helped clear my head a few days prior)...

Trip in May she came down with an awful cough the night before we left, a trip to the dr the morning we left and some good cough med helped each night. Trip last Dec. there was a lice scare the day before we left in her class and the trip before that she came down with a cold while we were there, ugh, it's endless!!!

I'm sure your dd will be well enough by the time you're ready to leave (& if it does get worse she'd probably be put on antibiotics anyway). Just make sure you all get as much rest as you can:) (you'll need it anyways!)

My sister's in the same boat. DD had 103.5 on Sunday, no strep, sleeping a ton today. They leave Sunday. Thankfully, our mom's going with them and she's a nurse, so if anyone else gets sick, Grandma will be there.

Grandma will be going with us in March, so if she does end up on sick call, at least she's got another trip to look forward to.

Done WDW with antibiotics more times than not. Worst was the morning we're leaving, dd wakes up with 102. Threw her in a cool bath, pumped her full of Motrin and headed for the airport. By the time we got to WDW she was fine, thankfully.

Good luck!

She only had a 99 temp yesterday, and that was after sitting in front of the fire. She still has the sore throat this morning, so I'm keeping her home today. (She goes to a two-day-a-week Mon/Wed school, so was home yesterday anyway.) I'm feeling congested myself with a bit of a sore throat, but so far the other kids are feeling fine. Here's praying!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter