Adding on Direct 25 points

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a direct add on for AKV? Would I be able to find out before making an offer on a smaller contract?

I'd say pretty easy. A slight possibility of having to wait for your UY but they are just as likely to have points available immediately.

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a direct add on for AKV? Would I be able to find out before making an offer on a smaller contract?
Bought 45 AKV direct in May. No wait, March UY, you will not know if your UY is available until you ask.

Do you think they would tell me upfront before I buy a specific resale contract?

Depends on what your guide is like - I'd think most would. However - you have to get thru buying the resale before you get to buying direct to do a small add on and their inventory can change so it also wouldn't necessarily accomplish much by asking now.

When I was originally looking into DVC and only knew of the direct route, the guide told me that when I purchased points before a certain date I would get the current year's points and last year's. Do they offer that for the smaller add on contracts? If so, what months do they offer that promotion?

Do you think they would tell me upfront before I buy a specific resale contract?
Even if it's available now, no guarantee it will be then. For AKV I wouldn't worry about it much but I wouldn't cut it too close anyway. Since you need a cushion of points in most situation, this could be part or all of that cushion.

When I was originally looking into DVC and only knew of the direct route, the guide told me that when I purchased points before a certain date I would get the current year's points and last year's. Do they offer that for the smaller add on contracts? If so, what months do they offer that promotion?

In recent years guides get a little loose with that description. What DVC always does is give you current points - but depending on what the UY is someone who isn't aware can think it's last years points. For example - right now the current UY for Aug-Dec is actually 2016. Feb-June are currently in their 2017 UY. It's not actually getting last years points because DVC never does that. It's always the current but because no UY's follow the calendar year it can be made to sound like you're getting last years points.

In recent years guides get a little loose with that description. What DVC always does is give you current points - but depending on what the UY is someone who isn't aware can think it's last years points. For example - right now the current UY for Aug-Dec is actually 2016. Feb-June are currently in their 2017 UY. It's not actually getting last years points because DVC never does that. It's always the current but because no UY's follow the calendar year it can be made to sound like you're getting last years points.

LOL!! That is not how my guide explained it at all!!!

LOL!! That is not how my guide explained it at all!!!
They often try to make you feel like you're getting extra points but as Kathy says, you aren't though you can book up to the last day of the UY which is a plus.

We just purchased resale and want to add 25 points on for all the extra member perks. I understand we can't use the resale points towards the cruise and such vacations but will I receive all the other perks?? Just want to clarify

We just purchased resale and want to add 25 points on for all the extra member perks. I understand we can't use the resale points towards the cruise and such vacations but will I receive all the other perks?? Just want to clarify
It's my understanding that you will get all the perks with the direct points. Totally your call on the direct but unless you want to buy annual passes it's questionable whether it's worth the direct cost or not.

Yes, buying 25 direct points will give you a blue membership card and access to all membership extras offered.

Hello,
We had just became members via resale and will be onsite this week and was curious if we stopped by a DVC sales office and purchased 25 add-on pts, would they be able to issue our Blue membership card or at least a temporary one right there on the spot?

Hello,
We had just became members via resale and will be onsite this week and was curious if we stopped by a DVC sales office and purchased 25 add-on pts, would they be able to issue our Blue membership card or at least a temporary one right there on the spot?

I asked a similar question a few months ago. I wanted to just go into a DVC Sales office to buy an add on contract since I happened to be in the Orlando area. I was told that I should not follow this procedure as it's much easier to call.

The advice I was given held true. I used chat on the DVC website to have a Guide assigned and not more than 15 minutes later I was off the phone with my add on contract purchased.

For your question about the blue membership card: No, you cannot get it in an office. It has to be requested online or through MS. A blue temp card can be printed from your dvc account page... its unlocked less than 2 hours after purchasing your direct add on contract.

I asked a similar question a few months ago. I wanted to just go into a DVC Sales office to buy an add on contract since I happened to be in the Orlando area. I was told that I should not follow this procedure as it's much easier to call.

The advice I was given held true. I used chat on the DVC website to have a Guide assigned and not more than 15 minutes later I was off the phone with my add on contract purchased.

For your question about the blue membership card: No, you cannot get it in an office. It has to be requested online or through MS. A blue temp card can be printed from your dvc account page... its unlocked less than 2 hours after purchasing your direct add on contract.

Thanks for the info !

There are three types of perks for DVC members:
1) "perks" you need to pay with your points: cruises, ABD, concierge collection. You can use only your direct points to book those and 25 points wouldn't go far. The good news is that those aren't a good use of points anyway so you're not missing much (and that's why I double quoted "perks")
2) perks you access if you are a qualified member and have the blue membership card: discounts, being able to buy TIW, special events, paid special activities, access to the member lounge at Epcot. With a 25 points add-on you get access all of those.
3) perks for all owners, regardless of how they bought: RCI exchanges, access to BLT lounge, pool hopping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter