Adventure with kids

We did our first ABD in 2015 (Alpine Magic) when our boys were 6 and 7. I was a little unsure about taking the kids overseas at the time but it was a great experience. The guides made is easy on us as parents with snacks on the buses, and kid friendly activities or kid friendly alternatives the whole time.

My advice would be 1) get to your first destination two days early to get over jet lag and used to the time difference and 2) pick an itinerary with cities reasonably close together (ie bus or train transportation) if this is your first time traveling overseas.

We did Italy when DD was 10. It was fantastic. It was our first group travel and I loved the ease of not having to plan or worry about literally anything. (DD has been travelling out of the country though since she was just 3 months old)

Completely agree with travel junkie about arriving a few days early to acclimate to the time change.

Last edited:
Our first ABD was in 2010 and it was Alpine Magic (the old itinerary). Our son was just turning 8 at that time. It remains our favorite as it had a great mix of tour time and on your own time, and had a lot of outdoor and active things to do (versus being museum heavy). I did a trip report and it is in the trip report link. Agree with arriving early, but for a little different reason. Maybe we are unique, but we have found that jet lag didn't really affect our son especially at a younger age. We (the adults) felt it a bit more. We like to arrive early because our experience is that the ABD does not really cover the first city/destination as comprehensively as we would like, so we typically arrive 2-3 days early and book things on our own to get a better sense of that first destination. Either way, good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter