Adventures by Disney-worth it?

They are really expensive and you might be able to book them outside of Disney. Points-wise they will eat up your points big time.

I would say looking back at the only ABD trip we've done (China, 2019), that yes - the cost was worth it. It was more expensive than other trips might have been, but the ABD tour hit all the main sites we wanted to see. And we had such smooth trip. If any questions or problems did pop up, they were handled quickly. And on our trip, we had so many extras and surprises - unadvertised things that made the trip even more special. We would definitely do it again, if we could. And while on our trip, we had many couples who were doing their 4th, 7th, 10th trips with ABD. For one family, it was their 14th. That to me tells me they clearly thought the value and cost are worth it.

Worth it is subjective... We did the London/Paris ABD, and it was totally worth it. We had great guides. We got in and out of the major attractions without waiting in line. In addition to the major attractions, you get to do smaller things that are really special, like wine tasting in MontMartre, or Archery near Windsor Castle. You stay in upscale hotels. All your luggage is handled for you.

It may help you to know who ABD appeals to: On our trip, probably half the people were Medical Doctors and their families. There were also some business owners and then some miscellaneous retirees and Disney fans (like us).

The characteristic of Medical Doctors and similar professionals is that they have money, and they lack time. They don’t get a lot of vacation, and they have even less time to plan out a vacation so that they could save money. But to have someone else do all the planning, so all they have to do is show up and enjoy, and they get to see the sites and spend quality time with their family, that is magic.

So ABD is great and we enjoyed it a lot. But if you are in a profession where you have money to spend, but time is precious, ABD is a home run.

Worth it is subjective... We did the London/Paris ABD, and it was totally worth it. We had great guides. We got in and out of the major attractions without waiting in line. In addition to the major attractions, you get to do smaller things that are really special, like wine tasting in MontMartre, or Archery near Windsor Castle. You stay in upscale hotels. All your luggage is handled for you.

It may help you to know who ABD appeals to: On our trip, probably half the people were Medical Doctors and their families. There were also some business owners and then some miscellaneous retirees and Disney fans (like us).

The characteristic of Medical Doctors and similar professionals is that they have money, and they lack time. They don’t get a lot of vacation, and they have even less time to plan out a vacation so that they could save money. But to have someone else do all the planning, so all they have to do is show up and enjoy, and they get to see the sites and spend quality time with their family, that is magic.

So ABD is great and we enjoyed it a lot. But if you are in a profession where you have money to spend, but time is precious, ABD is a home run.
Were there many kids on your tour? So many package tours cater to adults (especially older adults) that having one that takes the kids into account would tip the scale toward “worth it” if I had a family.

We've been on 3 ABDs plus 3 more booked. We also travel a lot on our own. ABD is great for complicated trips that cover a vast range of the country or several countries, especially for those that require internal transportation such as long bus rides, trains, or internal air transfers. It's also good if it's your first time traveling to a region or where language might be an issue. ABD hotels are usually a lot nicer than what we would book on our own. I would not hesitate booking any ABD family or adult only trips. Sure you can find more economical tours or be able to do some of the itineraries on your own. However, the value of ABD for us is through the story telling, hotels, transportation, 2 guides, meals, and traveling with like minded families that love Disney!

The number of kids vary per tour. When you book your tour, you can ask how many kids are booked. Tours have a suggested age, and I've seen kids from elementary to high school.

As someone mentioned, it is not a good use of points so paying in cash might be better. But as a DVC member, you always get opening day pricing.

Were there many kids on your tour? So many package tours cater to adults (especially older adults) that having one that takes the kids into account would tip the scale toward “worth it” if I had a family.

Most ABD tours we looked into as potential trips allow kids. But there are some of their tours that are specifically identified as Adults Only. Most of the China tours in 2019 allowed kids (I mention that trip because we're familiar), but there were a couple at the end of the season (in October) that were Adults Only. Those are explicitly mentioned on their web site.

We did an all adult tour, which we liked. But probably 90% of ABD adventures include kids.

Most ABD tours we looked into as potential trips allow kids. But there are some of their tours that are specifically identified as Adults Only. Most of the China tours in 2019 allowed kids (I mention that trip because we're familiar), but there were a couple at the end of the season (in October) that were Adults Only. Those are explicitly mentioned on their web site.
We did an all adult tour, which we liked. But probably 90% of ABD adventures include kids.
Since there are a lot of tour companies that cater to adults but few that design their tours to engage kids, I'd think that ABD would be "worth it" for families with kids younger than teenage but maybe not so much "worth it" for adults only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!