Advice for guest with osteoporosis

Epcot walker

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to include a dear relative who is nearly 90!!
and desperately wants to go to Disney World. She has osteoporosis.
She is a trooper but in constant pain which medication helps.

I'd welcome any advice. We've booked accessible rooms and will bring a wedge and topper
to make the beds more comfortable for her.
She uses a rollator; we just bought a used
wheel chair which has been adjusted to her size and will use that in airports
and at the park. We 've bought wheelchair adjustable (inflatable) cushions.
We plan to rest anytime she wishes.

We've been many times but this is her first trip in 20 years. We want this journey to be the best it can be.

I am open to any suggestions. Her PT had a few ideas. Thanks for offering
any you may have.

Remember that sitting in the wheelchair, her hands, arms, the tops of her legs, tops of her feet - and shoulders and ears - will all be subject to sunburn, so take appropriate precautions - whether that's long sleeves or sunblock or whatever.

Make sure that any medicine she takes at home comes with her - and try to keep her medication schedule as close to home as possible. This is especially important for any anti-inflammatories and/or pain meds that she may take for her arthritis. Staying on schedule for meals and bedtime will help her out as well.

Also hydration is very important; everyone thinks that you don't have to worry if you are "just" sitting in a wheelchair, but the sun and the heat works on those folks too. Remember you can get water for anyone (free) at every QS in the Parks, just ask.

Bag check (in general - both Parks & TSA) pack all medical related items in clear plastic bags so that (hopefully) they don't have to be dumped out and gone through by hand.

Remember that First Aid is your friend in every Park - if she starts to feel unwell, or needs to lie down for a bit, you can always visit First Aid to see if a brief respite there will help.

And tie a colorful ribbon, or bandanas on the handlebars or armrests of her chair to help it stand out if you have to park it outside of shows, attractions, or dining.

Somethings that come from mind from pushing individuals in wheelchairs that mamabunny did not mention:
  • If the person needs to get up and walk, have them use the empty chair for balance. Some people I know that use a rollator normally need to get up a few times during the day when using a wheelchair.
  • Do not weigh down the back of the chair too much. This can be bad for the person in the chair and the person pushing the chair. The person pushing might have to lean more to fit their body in the pushing spot and that can cause strain. If the person pushing pushing into those items, these items then push into the back of the person in the chair.

Remember that sitting in the wheelchair, her hands, arms, the tops of her legs, tops of her feet - and shoulders and ears - will all be subject to sunburn, so take appropriate precautions - whether that's long sleeves or sunblock or whatever.

Make sure that any medicine she takes at home comes with her - and try to keep her medication schedule as close to home as possible. This is especially important for any anti-inflammatories and/or pain meds that she may take for her arthritis. Staying on schedule for meals and bedtime will help her out as well.

Also hydration is very important; everyone thinks that you don't have to worry if you are "just" sitting in a wheelchair, but the sun and the heat works on those folks too. Remember you can get water for anyone (free) at every QS in the Parks, just ask.

Bag check (in general - both Parks & TSA) pack all medical related items in clear plastic bags so that (hopefully) they don't have to be dumped out and gone through by hand.

Remember that First Aid is your friend in every Park - if she starts to feel unwell, or needs to lie down for a bit, you can always visit First Aid to see if a brief respite there will help.

And tie a colorful ribbon, or bandanas on the handlebars or armrests of her chair to help it stand out if you have to park it outside of shows, attractions, or dining.

Thank you for these terrific ideas. I am new as mobility assistant so need to practice
the wheelchair steering. She's never ridden in one, except at the hospital.

The used wheelchair we purchased included a chair cushion that can be inflated with something that looks like a bike
pump. Is that a good chair? Should we look for a rubbery one instead? They are all black. How
to keep them cooler in Florida sun? I 've not seen any light colored at the medical supply store.

Thank you for these terrific ideas. I am new as mobility assistant so need to practice

The used wheelchair we purchased included a chair cushion that can be inflated with something that looks like a bike
pump. Is that a good chair? Should we look for a rubbery one instead? They are all black. How
to keep them cooler in Florida sun? I 've not seen any light colored at the medical supply store.

We have a black stroller, and I line it with a white towel, pillowcase or muslin sheet. It seems to reduce the heat, and provides a wicking layer, too. Depending on the time of year, a cooling towel might be an option, too.

We have a black stroller, and I line it with a white towel, pillowcase or muslin sheet. It seems to reduce the heat, and provides a wicking layer, too. Depending on the time of year, a cooling towel might be an option, too.
That is a great idea.

If you can, get a gel cushion for her. Inflatable cushions can lose air over the course of the day, and can also actually be too firm if (accidentally) overinflated.

You can find gel cushions on Amazon; generally speaking, the thicker the better.

As a recent wheelchair user, I learned to be careful going down hills, the person pushing me went over a bump, and I almost fell forward out of the wheelchair. Be careful!

The person pushing the wheelchair may want to get fingerless gloves like bikers or golfers wear. I once took my mom to Las Vegas and pushed her up and down the strip from the MGM to the Mirage and back. I had some nasty blisters on my hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts