Advice for large family

maryjeane

Mouseketeer
I just booked our trip for DL Nov. 13-19. We went in 2000 and had 3 children at that time. Now we have 5. I have visions of us walking thru with the girls hanging onto a rope like you see daycares doing!! Our girls are 12, 10, 7, 4 and just turned 2. The 2 and 4 year old will probably be in strollers. Any ideas for moving a large family thru DL? Anyone recommend Ridemax? We'll have 6 day hopper passes so we should be able to get a lot done.

Thanks!!
Mary Jeane

You might consider splitting into 2 groups (how Walt would've hated this), to take the younger one's (the 2 & 4 and maybe 7) to ToonTown and Fantasyland, while the older ones go to POTC, HM, SM & TM, then the whole family can hook up for lunch before heading back to the hotel for a swim and nap. The whole family can then return in time for the parade & fireworks and a couple tamer rides (Small World, Buzz, Tiki Room, JC & the DLRR).

In DCA again splitting up taking the little ones to Bugs Land and then to the explorer trail while the older ones head for CA Screaming (if it's open), Soarin' and Grizzley Rapids. Then while the youngsters do Playhouse Disney the tweeners do ToT, hooking back up for Aladdin, Monsters Inc & Muppets before heading over to watch the Block Party Bash.

Having visited the parks with a 3.5yo DS and a teenage niece (12) & nephew (16), it's tough to convince the older ones to ride the 'little kid rides' and the big kid rides can terrify the little ones. There are a few things that both groups enjoy so be sure to visit those together.

I always go to DLR with at least 11 people in my family. We have never had a problem with any age differences or getting around. Everyone likes to ride all the rides and not leave any out. So go for them all,and utilize your fastpasses. Also when the little ones can't ride there is always someplace to sit and relax near-by, plus then you can get a child-switch pass!! woo hoo! :cool1:

We normally wander around in a group of 8-14 people (kids of all ages) and have had no problems. The pre-teens are not interested in toon town (but neither is my 5 year old). Whenever we come across a ride the younger/shorter ones can't do, the older ones do it and one adult takes the younger/shorter ones on another ride nearby (Tarzan's tree house and Jungle Cruise while others are on Indiana Jones/ Pooh Bear during Splash Mountain/ Astro Orbiters during Star Tours). The layout of DL is perfect to entertain wide age groups at the same time. We've never used RideMax. Keep in mind a little known fact... fast passes are good anytime after the start time on the day they were issued. They are still "good" even if your "time to ride" has passed by. :goodvibes

We used ridemax our trip and it was great. Understandably we went in summer a really busy season. I played with it alot. I omitted FP rides as I knew I would grab FP and ride those later. Do remember breaks for the little ones. And have tons of fun. Oh and when I was a teen I loved taking my little sister on the kiddie rides(Dumbo, etc.) at WDW so I wouldn't necessarily split up the group. The older ones may want to experience these rides with their younger siblings. Besides even my DH was excited about riding the Golden Dumbo and Teacup. :rotfl2:

Whenever we come across a ride the younger/shorter ones can't do, the older ones do it and one adult takes the younger/shorter ones on another ride nearby (Tarzan's tree house and Jungle Cruise while others are on Indiana Jones/ Pooh Bear during Splash Mountain/ Astro Orbiters during Star Tours). The layout of DL is perfect to entertain wide age groups at the same time.
I totally agree, and we have done this for years!! I love DL!!! :love:
I just say to go with the flow...we split up all the time, me taking older kids on rides sometimes, and DH going with younger kids to nearby kid attractions. With 6 days, you will have plenty of time to experience all you want to multiple times, and be nice and laid back about it. I have 4 kids myself, and am going with a large group this time, so I know we will split up when we need/want to. :teeth:

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. Funny thing is it's my almost 13 YO DD who doesn't like rides. She is very excited about taking her baby sister on SW and Dumbo!! I've joked with her that we may just park the 2 or 3 of them in Fantasyland while we do the rest of the park. JK, but it is nice to have one old enough and responsible enough to help with the little ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter