Advice needed on late drop off of rental car

BobH

DIS Veteran
I had a flight change and now will be returning from MCO later in the day - therefore I'll probably return my rental car about 2 hours later than originally scheduled. I really don't want to hang around the airport for 4 hours. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars and stay at OKW. Doing this will bring my rental up to 23 hours on the day of return rather than 21 hours. It looks like Avis might not start hourly charges until you get into a new 24 hour period but I am not 100% sure on this. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with charges when they returned a rental car later than the posted time of return on the reservation. Do they generally start penalizing you by the minute if you are over the agreed return time? Is it wise to schedule the return of your car as late as possible as long as you don't cause yourself an extra day's charge?? Thanks.

They give you a 59 minute grace period. Bob, I would call Avis and tell them that you will be returning the car two hours later, or, wait till you get there and tell them that the car will be returned two hours later. You usually don't run into a problem unless you are running into a new 24 hour period. Avis is great to work with, just let them know. :)

Thanks for the good advice Gail. I also considered rebooking the car reservation but the rates for this size car have increased by about $70 with both National and Avis since I made my original reservation (I have a discount code). I may as well accept a late charge if Avis insists because there is no point in changing reservations unless I downsize from a premium car and I REALLY have a hard time not spoiling myself when I am enroute to OKW. Thanks for the help.

I emailed Avis and they adjusted my return time for my rental car. No extra charge. They replied in under 2 hours by email.

Hey Bob, that is GREAT!!!! This is one time I am delighted to say " I told you so". :) Avis is really good to work with. Especially given you are within that 24 hour time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter