Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to tell. Anaheim’s and Florida’s are being built a bit differently.
Just comparing the Florida location to itself, do you feel that work has increased? At one point I feel it stalled and we were just looking at dirt for months

Great pics thanks.

It appears they built Riviera so one side looks at Illuminations, and the other at Star Wars Fireworks.

Yet neither is "straight on". Both views will be at an angle correct? From the top I suppose both.

Great pics thanks.

It appears they built Riviera so one side looks at Illuminations, and the other at Star Wars Fireworks.

Yet neither is "straight on". Both views will be at an angle correct? From the top I suppose both.

AAt first I was going to disagree with you, but on a closer look, it seems to me like you are correct, the resort is oddly no really facing Epcot. Now admittedly, there was no direct overhead angle, but I tried to cut and paste the picture into a google earth image as close as I could, and this is what I got. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot like the end (West) section of the resort is what is going to really have the angle for a view of Epcot. Where-as the Eastern 2/3rds doesn't really appear to have as good an angle.

Now I certainly could be off on this, skew that resort angle about 25-30 degrees counter-clockwise and the whole North side of the resort gets a pretty good view of Epcot. I do think there won't be too great a view of DHS though. I didn't broaden the map enough, but DHS is significantly west of the resort, and only a little south. I could see maybe an off-angle at it, but a "view" of the fireworks maybe not. However, I could see the restaurant on the top with a 360 viewing area being able to see them decently, but it doesn't help that they are several miles off.

upload_2017-11-26_18-8-1.png

AAt first I was going to disagree with you, but on a closer look, it seems to me like you are correct, the resort is oddly no really facing Epcot. Now admittedly, there was no direct overhead angle, but I tried to cut and paste the picture into a google earth image as close as I could, and this is what I got. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot like the end (West) section of the resort is what is going to really have the angle for a view of Epcot. Where-as the Eastern 2/3rds doesn't really appear to have as good an angle.

Now I certainly could be off on this, skew that resort angle about 25-30 degrees counter-clockwise and the whole North side of the resort gets a pretty good view of Epcot. I do think there won't be too great a view of DHS though. I didn't broaden the map enough, but DHS is significantly west of the resort, and only a little south. I could see maybe an off-angle at it, but a "view" of the fireworks maybe not. However, I could see the restaurant on the top with a 360 viewing area being able to see them decently, but it doesn't help that they are several miles off.

View attachment 285283

Nice job.

So can you pull back and verify the DHS Fireworks are also at an angle-but in the line of site. It seems like they maybe split the difference so both side will have a fireworks view-but at an unfortunate angle for both.

In other words, if they turn the resort to look into EPCOT better-the DHS side would lose the view completely?

Looks like Illuminations is 1/2 mile, DHS is about 1.25 miles-the MK fireworks launch is about 1.2 miles from the Ferry launch, so I guess it isn't the worst, if that's the plan.

View attachment 285283

here is my take, which is pulled back a bit and would show the building andgled a bit more ... and it seems like the wing that extends towards the lake (not sure if that is rooms or common areays, but the sort of corner that this wing and the main structure make will be a direct line to DHS. Also of note, some of the buildings at Wynham Bonnet Creek should have a good view of DHS

Rivera resoirt 2017 11 26.jpg

The angle makes more sense for the aesthetics on the lake, and within the resort itself.
A room top lounge, can have 360 degree views.

Given the launch sites, I do think it bisects it as best as you can for a building that shape. I suspect the west end top floor, will house their signature restaurant and fireworks related festivities. It affords views of both venues and therefore can double dip.

Back in 2014, from the beach behind OPR, you could easily view the fireworks from both Illuminations and the Frozen Summer Spectacular at about a 90 degree angle from each other. I don't think the DHS view from Riviera will be all that bad, especially from the roof/above the treeline.

Well, there's two ways to look at "Theme Park View"

A restaurant on top of the building can have a 360 view regardless of the direction that the hotel is angled at. So the building has no need to "face" a certain way.

However, the possibly more important point are the "theme park view" rooms, which are very common upsells in DVC. Boardwalk, Bay Lake, Grand Flordianian, and Poly all have some form of "Theme Park View" room, though often called "Lake" view or such. My assumption was that you build a resort such as this tall enough to see into the parks so that you can sell a theme park view room. You don't need to have a ton of these rooms, but the fact they have them is enough to help sell points. (20% of Bay Lake is "Theme Park" view, but only 11% of Boardwalk, and 12.5% of the Poly.

My assumption was always that the rooms along the long (North face) on the upper floor were going to be the "Theme Park" view rooms. I could be wrong though - perhaps it instead will be the rooms on the "West Wing" of the building. Of course, you could easily argue that the rooms on the East 2/3rds of the resort may still have a good view from the balcony of Illuminations without having a direct view from inside the rooms.

Well, there's two ways to look at "Theme Park View"

A restaurant on top of the building can have a 360 view regardless of the direction that the hotel is angled at. So the building has no need to "face" a certain way.

However, the possibly more important point are the "theme park view" rooms, which are very common upsells in DVC. Boardwalk, Bay Lake, Grand Flordianian, and Poly all have some form of "Theme Park View" room, though often called "Lake" view or such. My assumption was that you build a resort such as this tall enough to see into the parks so that you can sell a theme park view room. You don't need to have a ton of these rooms, but the fact they have them is enough to help sell points. (20% of Bay Lake is "Theme Park" view, but only 11% of Boardwalk, and 12.5% of the Poly.

My assumption was always that the rooms along the long (North face) on the upper floor were going to be the "Theme Park" view rooms. I could be wrong though - perhaps it instead will be the rooms on the "West Wing" of the building. Of course, you could easily argue that the rooms on the East 2/3rds of the resort may still have a good view from the balcony of Illuminations without having a direct view from inside the rooms.
That's exactly what I think they'll do. Maybe even go so far as to say "DHS view", "Epcot view", "lagoon view". Really, this property should be pretty well set for premium views, I think east is really the only direction that isn't quite so hot. You then charge an even greater premium for the upper floors.
The question for me is, do you put your least desirable room configurations up high to increase their desire?

By far Disney's most jarring architectural mistake in WDW.

Not IMO, may just be a difference in interpretation to what you are saying...i.e maybe most jarring location mistake? I could maybe agree with that, but I think the buildings themselves are actually pretty especially at night. If they would have somehow had space down closer to Studios and away from the Boardwalk area, they might have been received better from a location standpoint.

Not IMO, may just be a difference in interpretation to what you are saying...i.e maybe most jarring location mistake? I could maybe agree with that, but I think the buildings themselves are actually pretty especially at night. If they would have somehow had space down closer to Studios and away from the Boardwalk area, they might have been received better from a location standpoint.

The issue is the discordant skyline they create behind EPCOT. The buildings would be fine somewhere else, though the ridiculous statues stretch the definition of fine, but architecturally they are a mistake in their location. A well acknowledged problem from day 1.

The issue is the discordant skyline they create behind EPCOT. The buildings would be fine somewhere else, though the ridiculous statues stretch the definition of fine, but architecturally they are a mistake in their location. A well acknowledged problem from day 1.
I'm less concerned about that than I would be, for example, about the infiltration between the MK Railroad and the Tron attraction. Spaceship Earth is visible from practically all the World Showcase countries, so why not Michael Graves' Dolphin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!