After forking over an insane amount for the luau, you will have to buy your own coke?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So after you fork over at least $150 for the luau Disney expects you to pay for your drink as well? Really? And I am just drinking a coke, tea or what maybe lemonade. This is beyond absurd and desperate. I would either be taking my own drink in or passing on the luau. Right now, the latter has my vote.

So after you fork over at least $150 for the luau Disney expects you to pay for your drink as well? Really? And I am just drinking a coke, tea or what maybe lemonade. This is beyond absurd and desperate. I would either be taking my own drink in or passing on the luau. Right now, the latter has my vote.

We didn’t do the luau but yes I am surprised to hear that. However there would presumably be nothing to stop you filling up your refillable mug at the soda fountain outside the nearby Ama Ama?

We didn’t do the luau but yes I am surprised to hear that. However there would presumably be nothing to stop you filling up your refillable mug at the soda fountain outside the nearby Ama Ama?
Right, I would bring in something to drink if such is actually true. But that is what I saw on You Tube. But I am still leaning toward just not doing it. At least $300 for two people and the principle of the matter with a beverage.

Ok, so I was wondering if what I saw was true. Perhaps not then. I thought that could have been false. Good to know.
If you do the VIP all drinks are included. I realize you said you didn’t do alcohol but that could save on cokes or virgin cocktails.

Or the Fia Fia luau over at the Marriott just down the cove.
I understand when people say that they want to do a luau because they are going to Hawaii and "have to do it" but there are other ways to see hula dancing and eat traditional Hawaiian food that cost much less. In Waikiki there are free hula shows at Kuhio Beach (well, there were and then COVID happened)
https://kbhulashow.wixsite.com/official/locationas well as at the Ala Moana mall, at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center and if you want to sit down and have a drink or apps at House Without A Key in the Halekulani hotel you can watch some incredible hula that is just sublime (but is also closed right now)
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key
There are lots of places where you can eat Hawaiian-fusion or traditional food. If you are interested I am happy to list some for you

The price you pay is for the whole experience. You can buy beverages separately if your preferences are not included in the price, our you can upgrade to the VIP package which gives you better seating and unlimited beverages.

Did this in dec with a group of 7 and did the VIP because of the drinks Being included. Glad we did that and not the regular. Firstly vip sits down first Enjoying the short lines of the free entertainment and games at the beginning while having included drinks that were insanely expensive in the bar menu btw. so I felt a little bit bad enjoying myself while a huge line of people formed in a separate area Waiting for their time to enter while watching us. VIP also gets up for food first (FYI the food isn’t that great) It was a good experience but next time I will go to a luau elsewhere Just because it wasn’t great for the price we payed. the best part was the convenience of eating, enjoying the show and having our room steps away. Bottom line is while at Aulani it’s a nice 1 time experience but after that there is nothing stopping us from trying a new place on our next trip

Unclear at this point what the Luau will look like...they're not taking reservations for this in December, or any other date

Unclear at this point what the Luau will look like...they're not taking reservations for this in December, or any other date
They are actually not taking reservations for any extras/entertainment/etc. until the resort reopens. I called a few weeks ago to try to reserve the Executive Lanai for an upcoming trip and was advised that they are not accepting any reservations right now and that I will need to call back once the resort opens.

I’ve been to several different luaus on the different Hawaiian Islands, and you will be lucky if you find one for less than $100. I normally do the VIP when I do a luau so that I get priority seating, access to the food table, and drinks. While some luau food is better than others, the food quality can vary by luau. Don’t go for the food, go for the entertainment. I did the VIP Aulani luau on my last visit and enjoyed it. The story was a little different but did focus on ohana. If you haven’t already, research the luaus you’re interested in on TripAdvisor and visit their websites. The website will show you the menu, seating by category map, and wheter they can accommodate dietary restrictions. If you aren’t willing to try the native Hawaiian dishes, you will need to find a luau that has more American food on it.

if you are looking for more native version of the cookout Disney isn't your best bet. the way they cook their meat isn't the traditional way and it was cold and chewy. i do agree that it is a must do once for the experience while staying at Aulani and it was enjoyable but at the cost of 179$ per person plus taxes (7 people we paid 1312.01) you can find a more authentic and less expensive luau that is just as enjoyable with offerings that truly make you enjoy the flavours of the island.

I will look at this later on and decided then. Right now I am feeling more like spending that money on a couple extra nights away from Aulani at the beginning of a trip. Maybe around Waikiki.

if you are looking for more native version of the cookout Disney isn't your best bet. the way they cook their meat isn't the traditional way and it was cold and chewy. i do agree that it is a must do once for the experience while staying at Aulani and it was enjoyable but at the cost of 179$ per person plus taxes (7 people we paid 1312.01) you can find a more authentic and less expensive luau that is just as enjoyable with offerings that truly make you enjoy the flavours of the island.
Was that the VIP price?
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter