Age restrictions at DC for dolphijn swim, will they ask for proof of age

jasper577

Earning My Ears
My daughter will be two months short of age 6 (the cutoff for the dolphin swim) in May when we are considering visiting DC. I just called DC and the very helpful woman on the phone said they don't really require any proof of age unless the child obviously appears to be under 6 years of age. Well my daughter is a little on the small side but will be 5 years and 10 months and should pass by. Has anyone run into a problem before? We probably would not go to DC if I think she would not get admitted fro the dolphin swim.

I would never advise trying to "fool" DC on something like this. The age limit is strictly for the child's safety. Dolphins are incredibly powerful animals, and this encounter is more than just tossing some fish for feeding and petting them. It is an "in water" side by side encounter that includes being dragged by the dolphin through the water.

Just my two cents worth, but I would put this off until your child is old enough.

I'm not wanting to sound harsh....just interested in your daughter's safety as I know you are.

Let me add a bit to this. The water is deep and cold, and anybody doing this should be a good swimmer. My daughter was seven when we did it, and although she is a good swimmer, it was a challenge for her. (You do wear a swim vest, but I still think you should be able to swim reasonably well.)

IMHO, her ability in the water is more important than if she is a few weeks short of the date ( In my own case I would have been confident my elder daughter would have dealt with this at age 4 1/2 with NO PROBLEM, my younger is now 11 and I'm still not sure she would be able to get the best out of things) . Only you know how good a swimmer , and more important how confident she is in the water, it is deep ( at that age a good swimmer in 4 feet of water can become paniced in deeper water) , it is cold ( if she is a skinny little thing they REALLY feel the cold water) and dolphins are, as has been pointed out, large and powerful creatures ( which can frighten some timid kids).

It is a hell of a lot of money and IMHO if you are in ANY doubt of her ability to fully ENJOY ( and after all that is the idea) what is on offer I would advise it is best to leave it for another time. At this price it is likely to be a "once in a lifetime visit" it would be a shame if that visit was one that was tinged with regret.

Thanks for all your input. We're gonna hold off on this for a few years. Heck, I don't even like cold water!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter