AIr cost to Barcelona from us?

Joel0917

DIS Veteran
i know July is peak Europe travel from us. I was watching random air costs from Detroit to BCN for about $1200
Well July is opening up and it s gonna be $1668 per person.

Overall about $2k more than planned
I can drive to Toronto and stay the night both ways and get air for $1000 per person so save about $2200.

Is $1600 normal in July? Any one in us drive to Toronto to fly out as a us citizen? Any issue?

We waited to buy our Sept 6th (2017) tickets 9 months before and they were at the lowest. We paid from Denver to Chicago (connecting flight here) to BCN was $700 R/T for the 4 of us. When we booked our cruise it was over $1100 per person r/t If we had waited one more week it wouldve been even cheaper.

Be sure to check out Norwegian Air. They don't fly direct from DTW that I'm aware of, but have great rates to BCN!!

I would recommend that you download one of many travel alerts to notify you with airline prices.

We booked Chicago to Barcelona for $1448 PP on AA. Non stop We booked the end of July for a sept cruise. DH will only go NS. Actually $1668from Detroit doesn't sound too bad

With all the competition coming in to the transatlantic market, there have been oodles of sales. I'd say keep your eyes open, because prices around $300-$400 pp were not uncommon. Norwegian and TAP Portugal are two with consistently good prices.

Be sure to check out Norwegian Air. They don't fly direct from DTW that I'm aware of, but have great rates to BCN!!

We are flying to Paris next year before our British Isles cruise and Norwegian Air prices are amazing compared to other airlines. My sister has flown them and said it was great.

We had good prices with Aer Lingus, flying out of JFK to Barcelona for approx. $750 pp. and just had to add a cheap flight to JFK. Haven't had to fly from Toronto in years, but had no issues in the past flying from there as a US citizen.

Yes! We paid $250pp (one way) for a direct flight from Newark to Barcelona for our upcoming WBTA. Other airlines wanted triple and we would have to connect.

I pretty much agree with everything everyone has said. It can be cheap to fly from certain hubs. It usually isn't. From Texas, it is mostly NEVER cheap just to get to whatever hub is having that great European fare, but hopefully it will be better for you from Detroit. I've seen $300 fares to Europe, but it will cost me $500+ to get to that hub.

A few things to consider about your flight - we've had delays on legs of our European flights that have delayed us up to 24 hours after we missed the connecting flight. We've had luggage not make the connecting flight when we did. We've had luggage lost permanently (ds's suitcase is apparently on its own walkabout around France as we speak - we we got home a month ago.) We try to fly direct now as much as is fiscally possible, just to cut down the chances of missing a connecting flight. If you find a great price from a hub, but can't get that airline to get you from Detroit to that hub, you may have to fly on two different tickets. Check your luggage, claim your luggage, stand in checkin and security for the next flight. That takes extra time and is another chance for things to go wrong.

We always fly in a day early to cover the chance of a delay. Best case scenario we have an extra day in a cool European city. Worst case scenario, we miss the city but don't miss the cruise.

$1600 seems a bit high, and I'd wait. Unless you have a large group you are flying with, you can wait until much closer to actually get your tickets, as stressful as that is. (I like to have my ducks in a row ASAP for trips, myself.)

Make sure that you check all fees with Norwegian. We priced a flight and with the additional fees it was nearly the same as a legacy carrier.

I didn't have time to read the other replies, so sorry in advance if this was already said, but you are looking WAY too early for next summer. Flights will be the cheapest after the new year, probably February for July. I have watched airfare for years for summer trips and this has been the trend for at least three years. Last year (2016), they were the cheapest in January, but don't fret yet. Also, for our 2014 cruise, we drove to Toronto and flew out of there. No issues at all. We are usually a party of 7 and for us, the savings was very significant. Plus we went with Icelandair and stayed a few days in Iceland before making our way (slowly) to Venice where our cruise left from, so win-win!

i'm so afraid to wait to book. just afraid air will go up and up. i know Detroit to Orlando for peak times are always cheapest when they first go on sale. we have to travel easter spring break (DW is a teacher) so we always buy like day they go onsale and never see them cheaper.
I am using quite a large amount of Delta travel vouchers so kinda stuck with Delta or KLM. But with KLM i'd have to pya for seat assignemnets or good seats at least and that will ad up in the savings. i'm looking at flying out of Atlanta and can save about $1000. i can then fly a cheap airline to atlanta night before and stay on points somewhere with Hilton. so would be about $300 for 4 to Atl one way.
so much planning and thinking.

Make sure that you check all fees with Norwegian.

That's a good point. I always compare with the LowFare+ price (second column on their website), not the cheapest LowFare price. LowFare+ includes seat selection, meals, and one checked bag - making it comparable to the legacy carriers. On the Norway site, it's 500 NOK more one-way, which is equal to ~$64 at today's exchange rate. On the US site, it's $90 more.

They also have cheaper child's fare, so I also factored that in to comparisons. The prices tends to start low and go up as seats are filled. Legacy carriers seem to start high and work their way down. Though of course, if it's a popular route/time, perhaps it never makes its way down.

My advice is keep checking every day at different times for a few weeks. I often travel to europe for work. Normally when I go its between $1200 and $1600. It all depeds on days/times you check and how far in advance. Every once in a while i will see one or two airlines drop way below average. Last time i flew to Germany the averages were $1300-1600 and for one day only Air France had $900 fares.

i know July is peak Europe travel from us. I was watching random air costs from Detroit to BCN for about $1200
Well July is opening up and it s gonna be $1668 per person.

Overall about $2k more than planned
I can drive to Toronto and stay the night both ways and get air for $1000 per person so save about $2200.

Is $1600 normal in July? Any one in us drive to Toronto to fly out as a us citizen? Any issue?
I got TAP Portugal Toronto-BCN with a layover in Lisbon (July 14) & Paris- Toronto with a layover in Lisbon (Aug 5) for $775 Canadian per person round trip. Paid an extra $100 per person for seat selection. Carry on & checked bag included. I live 30 mins from Detroit & 4.5 hours from Toronto. Book sooner as international flights tend to go up not down.

ETA. This is for 2018. TAP books 360 days out.

Should be no problem flying from Toronto. We fly from Detroit all the time.

Do your homework if your thinking about Norwegian, WOW or other low cost carriers. The a-la carte pricing adds up quick (I think DY bag fee is $130 a bag each way). Also when these aircraft are in the states there are no spares for mechanical delays. The US legacy carriers and major European airlines will get a new plane or rebook you. Earlier this year a Norwegian LAX to Gatwick flight was delayed for 3 days. Talk about upset passengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter