Airline options from the U.S?

kria525

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!
I haven't flown direct from the NYC area to Paris, and I'm curious about people's opinions on various airlines, especially the budget ones I've been seeing. Has anyone flown LEVEL, Norwegian, or TAPS Air Portugal? Should I be resigned to spending >$700+ on round trip tickets by going to a more expensive airline?

Hello everyone!
I haven't flown direct from the NYC area to Paris, and I'm curious about people's opinions on various airlines, especially the budget ones I've been seeing. Has anyone flown LEVEL, Norwegian, or TAPS Air Portugal? Should I be resigned to spending >$700+ on round trip tickets by going to a more expensive airline?
I've flown Norwegian several times, both over the Atlantic and in Europe.
Happy with them.
Since you are going over the Atlantic, the premium class seats with Norwegian is a very good option.
I've also flown with the bigger carrier over the Atlantic. In my opinion, not much difference betweeen KLM and Delta versus Norwegian.
I've had a better experience with Norwegian premium class than KLM/Delta economy class.

I haven't flown TAP, but a Portuguese friend always tells me to avoid them if I can :P

For me, the trick was finding a good city to fly out of. I have points and companion pass with SWA, so I was open to flying out of anywhere that SWA flew to from my hometown (Raleigh) because I figured I could get there cheap or free. I also didn't want any additional stops, ideally.

My preference was also to fly on Delta (if not too much more $$) so I could get points to use towards my next flight as I have a Delta AMEX. I ended up flying from Miami to CDG non-stop. But this was $700+, and I paid to upgrade to Delta Comfort for about $800 each. This is well worth it to me - I have flown to Europe several times and I ALWAYS wish I had better, more comfortable seats once that long flight begins. And I was able to use points to get to FLL/Miami, including a free hotel night so we will fly down a day early and spend a day in Miami before flying to CDG.

Overall, I found good fairs out of NYC and Boston on multiple airlines, but again, I was partial to Delta.

I will say I have a friend traveling to Europe the same weekend we were going (June 2020) who got really good rates by booking Expedia and one hotel night (combo package). I am weary of this, as I have heard some bad stories about Expedia, but she saved about $500 each for her family of 4.

Also, my friend (who is European nationality) would not fly TAP or Turkish Airlines or Aeroflot for safety concerns.

We got a great price on a direct flight from Toronto to Paris on Delta but then all the info about the flight said it was operated by AirFrance. I was very happy with the service, etc.

We got a great price on a direct flight from Toronto to Paris on Delta but then all the info about the flight said it was operated by AirFrance. I was very happy with the service, etc.
So glad to hear this! This is exactly what we are doing next month (driving up to Toronto from near Columbus Ohio). We flew from Toronto to Milan on Air Canada and had a great experience, so we are hoping for the same for our Delta/Air France trip.

Just remember to account for:
  • How much are luggage fees
  • Carry on limits
  • Seat selection
  • Comfort of seats

I've been splitting my life between Paris and Pittsburgh, PA for two years now (boyfriend took a job in France, I work in America in the summers.) I've gotten rates as low as $498 on Air Canada via Montréal. I'm flying TAP home to Pittsburgh on Sunday, Lyon-Lisbon-Washington-Pittsburgh (for my last flight to America whomp whomp, next winter is in San Diego.)

My boyfriend had nothing but good things to say about his experience on Norweignan, when we did LA to Paris last January. He went there for work, and I made him do four days at Disneyland. He paid under $500 one way, but he added a lot of stuff to it to be more comfortable.

How many people are going? Would you do a credit card to earn frequent flier miles? I have the United Explorer card, and I have been spending down a massive bank of MileagePlus miles this winter.

Flying Norwegian out of NYC In May to CDG. I signed up for their emails/rewards program and right before Valentines day got a campaign code (discount code).
Also-go to Norway (norsk) as language. Then google translate the page, use a "NOK to USD" converter to get US dollar amount. Often flight is much cheaper booked this way. Your confirmation will be in Norwegian but you can copy/paste document to translate in google. Kinda like booking DLP in anything other than US site you can get a better deal.

Flying Norwegian out of NYC In May to CDG. I signed up for their emails/rewards program and right before Valentines day got a campaign code (discount code).
Also-go to Norway (norsk) as language. Then google translate the page, use a "NOK to USD" converter to get US dollar amount. Often flight is much cheaper booked this way. Your confirmation will be in Norwegian but you can copy/paste document to translate in google. Kinda like booking DLP in anything other than US site you can get a better deal.

Ooh, I didn't even think about the changing language idea, thanks so much! I think I will try out Norwegian then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!