Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I bought the cheap dollarama ponchos before our August trip. We forgot to take them to the park and it poured so I ended up buying the Disney ones. They were much better, and we took them to the parks from then on.

I keep re-scanning the Ontario flyers, thinking I can find some miles for this week... but there's nothing I can justify buying right now. We leave for WDW in 35 days so it's crunch-time for saving money!

I'm going to try to cook a bunch of things from our freezer, focus on keeping the grocery bills light, and wait (im)patiently for better offers to roll out.

A lot of offers are no longer in the flyer. You may find you have to walk the aisles to find your deals. I think the stores may have finally caught on that people were only coming in for the flyer deals and maxing out on those. It's a lot more work but still it can be rewarding.

For us, they are a one-time use. Even the 3-4$ ones from WM were not used more than once as they tear easily. In fact, the only poncho we re-used is the one I bought at WDW. It's thick enough and if it tears, WDW replaces it.
I have the old yellow ones that are now in the neighbourhood of 20 years old.....and we still use them. I remember shelling out a whopping $5 for them.

I got my 150 STB bonus miles as well! I only knew because I went and got about $17 worth of groceries at Sobey’s and the cashier asked me if I wanted to redeem for $10 off. I only switched to cash miles two days ago, so I didn’t think there was anything in my cash mile account. Low and behold.. the 150 bonus. :)

Mine too and also what appears to be the 150 for 3 airmileshops for STB:

View attachment 296593

My 150 showed up too! I must have checked my balance right as they were updating things earlier today.

It seems like air miles is just like my students—no matter how much time they have, the work always happens right at the deadline!

(come to think of it, I can be guilty of this approach too...:blush:)

I have the old yellow ones that are now in the neighbourhood of 20 years old.....and we still use them. I remember shelling out a whopping $5 for them.

we have old disney ponchos too, from my first ever trip in 2011 (so not nearly as old!). theyre still in perfect shape! because we used them once and have kept them safely stored at home since! :rotfl:

disney ones are great quality, but theyre big and take up a fair amount of space if youre trying to tour light. we usually buy thin, lightweight ponchos at canadian tire or the dollar store. 1.50 apiece, and theyre folded up really small. they dont last as long, but when we were trying to travel light they were worth the cost.

Has anyone used the Personal Shopper Service to buy something that isn't from the original catalog? What did you buy and how many AM was it?
Just curious. :rainbow:

I got my 150 STB bonus miles as well! I only knew because I went and got about $17 worth of groceries at Sobey’s and the cashier asked me if I wanted to redeem for $10 off. I only switched to cash miles two days ago, so I didn’t think there was anything in my cash mile account. Low and behold.. the 150 bonus. :)

Just a reminder: Don't forget to LOCK your cash account. You don't want any unwanted use of your cash. The cashiers can't see that you have cash miles available if your account is locked.

Has anyone used the Personal Shopper Service to buy something that isn't from the original catalog? What did you buy and how many AM was it?
Just curious. :rainbow:

Everyone who has reported accessing the Persaonal Shopper Service has found it to be quite expensive (ie. market value of the good/service in question plus a bit of a markup). You won't find a "deal"

Just a reminder: Don't forget to LOCK your cash account. You don't want any unwanted use of your cash. The cashiers can't see that you have cash miles available if your account is locked.

Everyone who has reported accessing the Persaonal Shopper Service has found it to be quite expensive (ie. market value of the good/service in question plus a bit of a markup). You won't find a "deal"
Thank you for the reminder. I just went and locked it now! :)

Do you think the universal orlando tickets will go back to the 2 day 2 park after the promo is done (3 park, 2 days + 2 days free)? I already have 2 of the 2 day 2 park tickets and have been holding out to get the others I need for April as we are only going to be there for 2 days. I paid 4850AM for the 2 tickets and it would be 7100 now for the ones they offer.

Hi Hon
I checked the site this morning (I'd like to get a couple more of the old passes this year)....
The 3 park,2 days+2 days free seems to be gone but nothing to replace it yet. Lets hope some new "old ones" pop up. I do know that they are trying to promote their new Water Park.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Didn't get anything done yesterday, so Sobey's and Rexall today.
I'm not usually much of a Rexall shopper, but I looked at the grocery section in ours last time and realized the prices on basic groceries are actually the same as the store. So I may be buying our basics there from now on whenever there is a good AM deal.

Question for those of you who have received the 150 AM for the online shopping during StB, did your individual transactions post from the stores? I have the 50 that was due on Tuesday coming (cut that down to the wire didn't they?!?!) but not the 150 -- on either card. My base miles are all due by the 24th of Feb and the bonus miles (did all during Black Friday/Cyber Monday) by Feb 8th. This is what held up my StB last year AND my Mega Miles in May ... thinking i will forgo the online shopping during any of these promos from here on out. The stupid things post fine during other times so i obviously know how to do it -- almost like the system HATES ME!! :P Bummer is that this is the 7th coupon on my new card and if they don't post I'll be more than a tad annoyed that i even opened that account.

My Rexall hunting trip yesterday was rather productive (not as good as i could do with stacking but still decent) Spent $50.67 and snagged 154 AM after the cashier used the funky "make it right" cards for the one LnG offer that didn't work. Every single item had either miles on the shelf or was a LnG :D We had a *itching session about how the programme has changed and the miles are drying up, cut the weekend promo down to 2 days, the email coupon to Wed & Thursday, no flyer 2 out of 3 weeks on Thursday and fewer on shelf miles. We both agreed that we will be shifting our shopping trips to other stores.

Last edited:
I'm sure all these recent corporate merges are making it less of a financial incentive for the sponsors to offer AM... like how Loblaws is actually NoFrills and Superstore and Sobey's is actually Metro/Safeway...

we really are only giving our money to a handful of companies... :(

Even with popping into Safeway for some party things, we still haven't earned much of anything this month. And my DH is headed into another phase of wanting to go to Bulk Barn and our neighbor says he will go in on this meal planning thing, so... I can't see massive grocery store trips earning the same kind of AM that I was last year...

thinking my trip countdown ticker down there in my sig is going to have to change! :(

I'm sure all these recent corporate merges are making it less of a financial incentive for the sponsors to offer AM... like how Loblaws is actually NoFrills and Superstore and Sobey's is actually Metro/Safeway...

we really are only giving our money to a handful of companies... :(

Even with popping into Safeway for some party things, we still haven't earned much of anything this month. And my DH is headed into another phase of wanting to go to Bulk Barn and our neighbor says he will go in on this meal planning thing, so... I can't see massive grocery store trips earning the same kind of AM that I was last year...

thinking my trip countdown ticker down there in my sig is going to have to change! :(
Sobeys doesn't own Metro?? They are Safeway, Foodland, Freshco etc ... Metro is Metro. But yes, not too many actually out there in competition for our money.

Regarding the trip planning -- yeah, in the same boat here, we need to earn a lot more miles if we're going to go ANYWHERE

Do you think the universal orlando tickets will go back to the 2 day 2 park after the promo is done (3 park, 2 days + 2 days free)? I already have 2 of the 2 day 2 park tickets and have been holding out to get the others I need for April as we are only going to be there for 2 days. I paid 4850AM for the 2 tickets and it would be 7100 now for the ones they offer.

Hi Hon
I checked the site this morning (I'd like to get a couple more of the old passes this year)....
The 3 park,2 days+2 days free seems to be gone but nothing to replace it yet. Lets hope some new "old ones" pop up. I do know that they are trying to promote their new Water Park.

Those tickets/promo were only to be sold until November 30th, but because they are good until May 11 (or was it May 30?), I believe Air Miles was trying to finish off their stock.

I'm sure AM will bring back a Universal Studios ticket of some kind back. The 2 day park-to-park tickets were 2,425 each. I have a feeling Air Miles will up the price when they bring them back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter