• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AirTran Airways?

Luvdisney

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any info on them? Would you fly with them? How safe are they? Someone told me they used to be another airline. Can't remmeber the name they used to be called, but they were the airline that crashed into the everglades a few years back. They disbanded and then reorganized and are flying as AirTran Airways. My DW since 9/11 has said she would never fly again. But, I think she is starting to come around on that. But I think for the first flight back I wan't a safe and reliable airline. I have a really good fair but, if it's not safe i don't want to spend the money.

Aitran used to be MetroJet I believe or was that called ValuJet? They bought out a smaller airline, Airtran, and took over the name. Over 90% of their planes are new. We've used them and liked them better then SWA. We just booked another trip through them in April.

We just flew the new AirTran non-stop from PIT to MCO. The flight down was on a brand new 707. I was impressed with the service. Heck, they even give you the entire can of Coke;)

We've flown AirTran a number of times, especially since their nonstops from Newport News to Orlando make for a great alternative to the high fares in Richmond. They've been replacing their old DC9s and early 737s with brand new 717s for the past few years. Also, they had been lacking in customer service years ago but seem to have come a long way in that regard. I'd definitely recommend them.

Originally posted by Dixie Luvr 98
We just flew the new AirTran non-stop from PIT to MCO. The flight down was on a brand new 707. I was impressed with the service. Heck, they even give you the entire can of Coke;)

I think you meant a brand new 717... :) Boeing stopped making 707s back in the late 70s and there are very few airlines (and no USA carriers) using them anymore.. The 717 is actually a very nice plane from what I have read, based on the DC-9 but all new for the most part with a completely upgraded and modern cockpit, etc.

To the original poster.. Valujet did eventually become what is known as AirTran now, but almost none of that old airline carried through. The incident in the everglades, while tragic, really wan't as a direct result of anything ValuJet had done. AirTran has gone through with a massive fleet overhaul and were the launch customer for the Boeing 717 and they are now flying one of the youngest fleets in the skies. The are also one of the only airlines along with Southwest that turned a profit last year.

Obi-wan, Newport News is were we will be flying out of. How's the Airport, never been to it. Actually didn't even know it was there. We will be driving down to Newport News in the AM to catch our flight. Is it easy to get to? How's the parking? Any problems with leaving my car ther for 5 days?

I have to echo the other posters. AirTran flies mostly brand new Boeing 717s. I flew them frok Philadelphia to Houston recently and was pleasantly surprised. Seats are a little narrower than other planes but most flights are only 2 hours or so. Plus they only have 5 seats per row, instead of six. No meal service, but no one does anymore.

The planes were clean and new, service was on time, staff was friendly, and fare was cheap. I'd definitely fly them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter