AKV Kidani Savannah Views Sunset vs. Pembe

Villainess

Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney
Hi! We have a 2 week trip coming up in July/August and are currently booked at SSR. We are toying with spending our last 6 days at AKV in a Savanna view 2bdrm (currently available to be booked). In all my parents' stays as DVC members, they have remained loyal to OKW and SSR (my mom is finally open to seeing a new resort and we would love to try here).

My question is, knowing that no request is guaranteed, which savanna view would you prefer to wake up to/go to sleep at night looking at: Sunset or Pembe and why. I read that okapis (my DD's favorite) are on the Pembe savanna, but are the other animals (giraffe, wildebeest, ostrich, etc) on this savanna as well?

Much appreciation for any input and possibly pictures of your views. I'm sure regardless we will love the new atmosphere and experience, I'm just curious and trying to learn about this 'new' (for us at least) resort!

Many thanks and :mickeybar !!!

We, too, are very loyal to OKW, and, to some extent, don't feel like we've been to WDW if we don't spend at least a few nights there. BUT, we've grown to also love Kidani. We've only stayed on the Sunset so I'm no help in comparing and contrasting. But we've had a good experience each time. Good luck with your decision.

Pembe is a small savanna and cannot accommodate the larger animals. It does have some unique animals such as okapi, red river hogs and hornbills as well as a few other species. It does not have giraffes, ankole cattle, zebras or ostriches. Sunset is a very large savanna and the view is prettier than Pembe in my opinion. Our usual request is for Sunset Savanna and a low floor (puts you closer to the animals) in that order.

Okay, that was what I was curious about - the resort map didn't give the impression that it was a large area.

Am I correct in that you can view a small area of Pembe from the Maji Bar area patio?

I just stayed at sunset and loved it, animals were so close and a good variety. Next time I go I will take binos and nvgs. It was great

We have stayed on Pembe 2 or 3 times, twice in the same room as a matter of fact. There are different animals on Pembe than on Sunset. My main issue with Pembe is that they take the animals inside in the morning to feed them and examine them. On Pembe savanna, this occurs about 6:30 to after 8:30 am, which is when I would most enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching animals. From our room, which was 7851, we had a view of the animals peeking over a fence at the back of the savanna most mornings. I love AKV, have probably stayed there 15 times since 2001, but, I have to say I was disappointed with my Pembe view room.

We have stayed on Pembe 2 or 3 times, twice in the same room as a matter of fact. There are different animals on Pembe than on Sunset. My main issue with Pembe is that they take the animals inside in the morning to feed them and examine them. On Pembe savanna, this occurs about 6:30 to after 8:30 am, which is when I would most enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching animals. From our room, which was 7851, we had a view of the animals peeking over a fence at the back of the savanna most mornings. I love AKV, have probably stayed there 15 times since 2001, but, I have to say I was disappointed with my Pembe view room.

Oooo ... that's good to know. I was aware that they took the animals in at some point in the day, but early morning would be when I know we would most enjoy our balcony and view.

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I will be requesting a room on the Sunset Savanna.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter