AKV Kidani

disney314

Mouseketeer
I have us booked for a 2 bedroom at Kidani at AKV. There will be 4 teenage girls and DH and myself. We picked Kidani because of the 2 queen beds and the extra bathroom.

My concern now is having access to the main resort. Is it an easy walk? And is it a safe walk after dark?

I would really love to be at the main building, and there is still 2 bedrooms available there for when we go, but it just seems like with the 4 girls, having the 2 queen beds and the extra bath would be very nice.

So tell me, is it like being at SSR at one of the far out buildings where you walk into the main area for the counter service place and the community hall?

Also...is there a community hall at AKV? And is it at Kidani or the main building?
Thanks!

The Community Hall is at Kidani Village. Bell Services runs a van between the main entrances of both buildings.

We own at AKV, so we stay there all the time. We loved the extra bathroom, but we also love the main lobby in Jamba House.

The walk is safe and well-lit, but it is probably 1/4 - 1/3 mile walk, not something we wanted to do every night. They do have a store in Kidani where you can refill drinks and all that, but we LOVE the Mara at Jamba!

It was enough of a swing for us that we always stay at Jamba House, but it's definitely worth staying at Kidani at least once to see if it's an inconvenience for you.

As for the community center, we have never found one we love other than the Boardwalk, but there's supposed to be a place across from the pool in Kadani with basketball courts and other stuff. Jamba House has nothing.

Have a great time wherever you stay, and don't forget to eat the Zebra domes!!

My concern now is having access to the main resort. Is it an easy walk? And is it a safe walk after dark?
From lobby to lobby it takes about 10 minutes. It is safe after dark.

I would really love to be at the main building, and there is still 2 bedrooms available there for when we go, but it just seems like with the 4 girls, having the 2 queen beds and the extra bath would be very nice.
All of the 2BRs in Jambo House are lockoffs so your second bedroom would be a studio with one queen and a double size sleeper sofa if you change your reservation from Kidani to Jambo. The only way to get two queen beds in the second bedroom at AKV is to book a Dedicated 2BR at Kidani.

So tell me, is it like being at SSR at one of the far out buildings where you walk into the main area for the counter service place and the community hall?

Also...is there a community hall at AKV? And is it at Kidani or the main building?
I've never stayed at SSR so I cannot compare the walk from Kidani to Jambo House with SSR. We like to walk so we don't mind it and we prefer the 1BRs at Kidani so that's where we stay. We always have a few meals at Jambo house during our stay and enjoy the walk, especially the walk back afterwards.

For those who don't want to walk there is a shuttle that runs between the two buildings. You can also get on any park bus to go from Kidani to Jambo and a DTD bus to go from Jambo to Kidani.

We are owners at AKV. We have two girls ages 6 & 9 and LOVE AKV so much more than Jambo house. It's quieter and the community room is right there, the pool is better, they have the library and do fun and interesting things in the library,they have a ton of great spots to watch the animals, the fire by the savanna is nice. The walk to Jambo is only maybe 10 mins, plus they have a shuttle and the walk is quiet and safe. I think you will end of finding that you don't need to go to Jambo that much. Plus there is a massive amount of space in the two bed room villa. The last time we went, myself, DH, DD's, brother in law, and father and mother in law ALL stayed in our room and there was plenty of room for all of us. Three bathrooms and a HUGE balcony was wonderful. Enjoy your time. I am jealous! Our next trip in April we are staying at Beach Club simply for the easy access to Epcot because the girls love the Agent P thing. If it wasn't for that I would go right back to AKV. I miss it. :sick:

OK thanks everyone. I feel better. A 10 minute walk wouldn't be bad at all. And I am glad to hear there is a store with a refillable drink station in it. I feel better about that because I wanted to get all of the girls mugs for the stay.

I have to admit, the extra bath with 4 teenage girls along with us is the biggest selling point. I would really rather then not use our master bath, but with so many of them, one bath would not be enough.

So I think I will stay now that I know the walk is only 10 minutes and there is a store with a refillable mug station at Kidani.

I love Mara, too! And Zebra Domes are on our list! :)

And you do have a dedicated 2 bedroom, right?!

Yes, and that was the other thing I liked. I thought the two to a bed would be more comfortable for them and there would not be any 'fairness' issues over who got the big bed and who had to sleep on the sofa sleeper. So the Kidani dedicated 2 bedroom layout seems like that best for us. Just wish Mara was closer. But a 10 minute walk won't be too bad. We have stayed at Beach Club a lot and always are walking over to the Baordwalk in the evenings. I am guessing it will be similar to that for us.

And well, it is always nice to try new places and we have never been there. If it doesn't work out, we can try somewhere different next time. But for the number of points and the size/layout of the room, it just seemed like the best place for us. This is our first time letting our DDs bring friends and they will all be 18 or 19 years old so lots of sundries and lots of hair drying and lots of bathroom time. haha

DH and I stayed for the first time last year, and we loved it - if you can, add a request to your room for Sunset Savanna and close to the pool - that way you will be near the lobby for refills and a quick walk outside to the pool. We were literally steps away from the elevator to the lobby. I loved having the top floor too, because we could see the whole savanna above the trees and even caught a glimpse of Wishes every night. Really great views from any floor though. Kidani is much better than Jambo - the lobby is nice, the pool is amazing, and there is a refill station in the gift shop AND by the pool. There is a really nice community hall, an arcade, and a library with free wifi. Lots to do and see at the resort without ever going to Jambo. And if you have a car, there is underground parking, which is great to help keep the heat of the sun off, as well as if it's raining.
Enjoy your stay! That extra bathroom will be priceless!

DH and I stayed for the first time last year, and we loved it - if you can, add a request to your room for Sunset Savanna and close to the pool - that way you will be near the lobby for refills and a quick walk outside to the pool. We were literally steps away from the elevator to the lobby. I loved having the top floor too, because we could see the whole savanna above the trees and even caught a glimpse of Wishes every night. Really great views from any floor though. Kidani is much better than Jambo - the lobby is nice, the pool is amazing, and there is a refill station in the gift shop AND by the pool. There is a really nice community hall, an arcade, and a library with free wifi. Lots to do and see at the resort without ever going to Jambo. And if you have a car, there is underground parking, which is great to help keep the heat of the sun off, as well as if it's raining.
Enjoy your stay! That extra bathroom will be priceless!

Thanks for the review! We have a standard view, unfortunately, so we probably won't be close to anything. I didn't have the points for the Savanah view. So we will have to go to the public areas to view the animals. I am sure it will all work out and since we have never stayed there it will be very nice to just try a new place. We have stayed at AKL in a regular room, but this is our first time at the villas. Now I just need to start saving for tickets!

Ask for a room near the zazu elevator. Your walk to jambo will be about two minutes. We always get this request fulfilled.

if you get a room close to the zazu elevator, you are also a very short walk to the basketball courts and bar-b-que area across the entrance drive.

if you get a room close to the zazu elevator, you are also a very short walk to the basketball courts and bar-b-que area across the entrance drive.

I am assuming the zazu elevator must be the last one on the end next to the the main Lodge. We have a standard view room so being able to see the animals won't be an issue....we will most likely see a parking lot. haha

I made the request this week so hopefully it comes through for us. Being near Mara (or at least as near as possible without being at the main building) would be very nice.

Sounds like this area by the elevators will give us the best of both worlds. The nice large rooms with two queen beds and three baths and also easy access to the things we want to be able to enjoy at the main Lodge.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now we just have to wait for the day to arrive for us to go! The girls are all so excited. They have decided to design t-shirts so they can all 'match' and I made reservations at Be Our Guest one night for all six of us to have dinner together.

Now that we are booked and set to go, I am really excited about AKV, especially if I can be located not far from the main Lodge.

We just got back from AKL - Kidani. We (7 of us) stayed in a dedicated 2 bedroom, Savannah view. The 3 bathrooms were really nice to have. Next week we are going to Great Wolf Lodge staying in a 1 bedroom with only 1 bathroom. I'm wondering if we'll survive :). You'll love the 2 bedroom. The Savannah view is great for little kids, but with older kids, it's no big deal. Along the walk from our room to the lobby, we stopped at each window and had a great view of animals, generally different at each window. Outside the back of the lobby is where you'll get the best view. Also, when you go to the Jambo house, you can get a great view of the animals from their viewing areas. The giraffes tended to stay closer to the Jambo house.

We just got back from AKL - Kidani. We (7 of us) stayed in a dedicated 2 bedroom, Savannah view. The 3 bathrooms were really nice to have. Next week we are going to Great Wolf Lodge staying in a 1 bedroom with only 1 bathroom. I'm wondering if we'll survive :). You'll love the 2 bedroom. The Savannah view is great for little kids, but with older kids, it's no big deal. Along the walk from our room to the lobby, we stopped at each window and had a great view of animals, generally different at each window. Outside the back of the lobby is where you'll get the best view. Also, when you go to the Jambo house, you can get a great view of the animals from their viewing areas. The giraffes tended to stay closer to the Jambo house.

Yes, 7 and 1 bathroom sounds like quite a challenge! But Great Wolf Lodge is a lot of fun. We stayed at one for a night (only 4 of us) many years ago and has a wonderful time.

And I figure the girls will be on the go all the time and won't miss the view. DH and I would have enjoyed it, but I honestly didn't have the points and picked this resort because of the lower points, counter service restaurant, two queen beds and extra bath. But it will be fun to go to the public areas to view the animals.

Glad you enjoyed it. I am really looking forward to our trip now. It will be the first time we have allowed our girls to bring friends and if we were not DVC members it would not be happening. I am just hoping it goes well for all of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter