AKV - run on the road?!

wrighter

DIS Veteran
DH kept insisting that there was a running path at AKV. After doing my due diligence, I told him that unfortunately, AKV does not have a running path. He just showed me a map and the "path" that he plans on running. It's the friggin road!!!

He claims at 5 a.m. he'll be fine. After asking him to please not get killed during our Christmas vacation, I came here to complain to you all. And ask if anyone has thoughts on this - pro or con.

There is a concrete path between the two resorts near the parking lot. The vegetation and median along the road makes it dangerous to run in my opinion. It comes right up to the edge of the road with very little curb and absolutely no sidewalk. The grasses and vegetation make it a wonderful safari environment and really add to the drive up to Kidani. There is a nicely outfitted gym at the Kidani pool that he could use safely and I never see anyone in there so he would pretty much have it to himself. You can let him know of my experience after 7 trips over the last 5 years ;) It is even dangerous to try to get a pic of the Kidani sign because you have to walk down to the area with no sidewalk and then traverse the grounds. Good Luck!

Running on the WDW roads is not ever safe, especially in the dark - and it will be dark at 5am during December. If Security CMs notice runners or pedestrians in the road, they will stop & pick them up.

When you arrive at AKL/AKV, ask at the front desk or concierge desk to see what safer options you DH may have.

What the last poster said, security will stop you and tell you to get off the road, or drive you back to the hotel if they find you on the actual road. Last time I was at AKL a few years ago, I was told the only place to really run unfortunately was on the treadmills at the gym. Definitely frustrating!

I'm sure your husband, like me, feels that the short paved path within AKV between the two resorts is not long enough to get in a satisfying run, even if you run it back and forth multiple times.

I have run out on Osceola Pkwy early in the morning and it was annoying but doable. I ran in the grass when I could and ran on the pavement when I had to. I asked DVC management why they do not build a longer running path and they said it's not a priority for the majority of owners.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer staying at BWV - a lot more space to run on sidewalks. If you have a car or your husband can wait until the buses start running, he can get over to Hollywood Studios and then run around the paths between the Epcot resorts and the sidewalk on Epcot Resorts Blvd.

The vegetation and median along the road makes it dangerous to run in my opinion. It comes right up to the edge of the road with very little curb and absolutely no sidewalk. The grasses and vegetation make it a wonderful safari environment and really add to the drive up to Kidani.
I agree. We're always especially cautious when driving around AKV because the high vegetation so close to the road makes it difficult to see around the bends. I would not feel safe walking in the roadways there and I don't think Disney would want people trampling the tall ornamental grasses they have planted along the sides of the road either.

The lack of running/walking paths at AKL/AKV is one of the drawbacks to that particular resort. We enjoy the walk between Kidani and Jambo, especially after a meal but that route isn't suitable for running (too short).

Here is the website for runners at Disney: http://www.disneyrunning.com/index.html

When you get to the site, you will see that there are no running routes at AKV/AKL. None. Other than the half mile path between the two resorts and the parking lot. Or the treadmill.

My husband was out running once and was running along Buena Vista Drive away from SSR and DTD. There were no sidewalks. Disney Security stopped him and told him to stop and go back to the sidewalk. They said if there were no sidewalks, running and walking alongside or on the roadway was not permitted.

This is what I like about OKW. I could always run to Downtown Disney, or over to Port Orleans, and up and down the road that runs past the Treehouse Villas.

I love being outdoors, but I did the treadmills at Kidani last year, instead. Not worth the risk. And honestly, whenever I've put myself in a situation where i'm constantly looking over my shoulder for cars, it just kills the fun.

I "aged out" of running a while back, but still walk and the one thing that keeps AKL/AKV from being among my favorite resorts is that I feel "trapped"...it really is not doable to run or walk along the roads...the access roads in and out are just barely wide enough for the buses and trucks, and even at 5 a.m. there's a fair amount of traffic in and out--not buses, but all sorts of delivery trucks ... I tried really hard to figure out a way to get out of the resort (figured I could walk along the "real roads" nearby, although I read above that I couldn't do that if I could get out of the resort on foot--but you really can't...there is just nowhere to go when a car/truck/bus enters or exits the resort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter