Alaskan Cruise Hotels and Transportation

Team Beining

Enjoying life
I just spent well over an hour looking at hotel options before our cruise. I have to say ... awful choices. The hotels all look nice, but prices are high and room options are limited for a family of four. I am not paying $700+ to sleep on a sofa or roll away bed — especially when I’m about to spend a week trying to sleep in a cramped stateroom (I may be a bit claustrophobic...). I am also irritated that the nicer hotels farther from the deck do not offer transportation and charge for WiFi. I can’t imagine arranging for a car would cost that much, but I am starting to wonder if price gouging is okay in Canada.

My question for the experienced.... I have no problem staying farther away, however, what is the best way to get to the ship, and how much does it cost?

Thank you!

We stayed at the Blue Horizon hotel. It had two queen beds and was about an $8 (CAD) taxi ride to the port. The area was good - lots of restaurants and shops. It was really close to a London Drugs, which had a couple of last minute things we needed. We did walk to Canada Place one evening and it wasn't a bad walk, but I wouldn't do it with luggage. My trip report is in my signature if you want to read up on all the details (plus the rest of our trip).

We stayed at the Pan Pacific. I booked our room about a year out and was able to get a AAA rate below $250 USD. It had 2 queen beds.

We did the same thing. Great location. OP, we took a taxi from the airport to the Pan Pacific and it wasn't that bad. I would think you could easily take a taxi from your hotel of choice to the port (which is attached to the PP) the day of the cruise. Some people in my cruise group used public transportation to get from the airport to the dock, but I can't say how easy that would be.

We stayed at the Pan Pacific. I booked our room about a year out and was able to get a AAA rate below $250 USD. It had 2 queen beds.
Can you share more about how you booked it, please? Was it on the hotel's website or elsewhere? We're a family of 5 going next May and are experiencing some sticker shock, too. Thanks!

Can you share more about how you booked it, please? Was it on the hotel's website or elsewhere? We're a family of 5 going next May and are experiencing some sticker shock, too. Thanks!
We are booked for an Alaska cruise in May 2019 as well. I think it is too early to book yet.
Here is an article referencing when booking opens for different hotel chains although SPG recently changed their to 350 days out. https://awardwallet.com/blog/far-advance-can-book-hotel-reservations/

I booked the Pan Pacific a year out as well. I booked it through hotels dot com because it was so far out and it allowed me to cancel at no penalty plus allowed me to pay in USD. They also have a low price guarantee so if it drops lower, just contact them and they'll refund you.

Try Hotwire. We ended up with two rooms (6 ppl) at the Four Seasons downtown this summer for less than the rack rate for the Days End. we are putting my wife and myself in one room with our daughters (two beds) and my MIL in the other with my son on the sofa bed. You can find good deals.

Hampton Inn on Robson - close to restaurants, shops, etc., free breakfast, free WiFi, free shuttle to the port. Yes, it’s pricey for a Hampton Inn but not out of line for downtown in a major city.

We did the same thing. Great location. OP, we took a taxi from the airport to the Pan Pacific and it wasn't that bad. I would think you could easily take a taxi from your hotel of choice to the port (which is attached to the PP) the day of the cruise. Some people in my cruise group used public transportation to get from the airport to the dock, but I can't say how easy that would be.
Train is very easy from the airport to Canada Place, but there is a surcharge when going from the airport. Going back to the airport is cheaper because no surcharge. It’s a convenient option as long as you don’t have more luggage than you can manage.

We will be staying at the Sandman Hotel, Vancouver City Centre when we go in June. Fingers crossed it's ok! It was $242 CAD and has 2 Queen beds. I know some people in my FB group are staying in the Pan Pacific.

I just spent well over an hour looking at hotel options before our cruise. I have to say ... awful choices. The hotels all look nice, but prices are high and room options are limited for a family of four. I am not paying $700+ to sleep on a sofa or roll away bed — especially when I’m about to spend a week trying to sleep in a cramped stateroom (I may be a bit claustrophobic...). I am also irritated that the nicer hotels farther from the deck do not offer transportation and charge for WiFi. I can’t imagine arranging for a car would cost that much, but I am starting to wonder if price gouging is okay in Canada.

My question for the experienced.... I have no problem staying farther away, however, what is the best way to get to the ship, and how much does it cost?

Thank you!

I have a family of 4 - we traveled to Vancouver in 2016 and spent 5 nights in the city. I used both hotels.com and booking.com to do preliminary searches - and in the end we chose the Blue Horizon. I think it was a $ 10-15 taxi ride to the port - 5 minutes away. The hotel was CAD $288 (including taxes) for a HUGE room with 2 queen beds (we could have fit a 3rd bed in there). We booked about 3 months prior to our cruise. Prices are fair - and similar to those of other comparable cities.

And just to note - that the Vancouver tourism industry is not 100% based on cruise passengers- so I don't think it's unreasonable that they don't offer transportation to the port.

And if you want extra free perks from a hotel - don't go through a online booking site- you need go directly to the hotel website to make a reservation.

It's also important to recognize that the summer is HIGH season for tourism in Vancouver and that impacts the cost of hotels due to high demand.

And you could always book an AirBnB.

In August 2016, we stayed at the Westin Bayshore for 3 nights, harborview, 2 double beds--it's in walking distance of the port (but not with luggage) and Stanley Park. We did the 'pay your birth year' deal--first night rack rate, next 2 nights the last 2 digits of your birth year. Came out to under $200USD/nt that way, but it's only worth it if you're staying 3 nights. If you're an SPG member, then wifi is free--I signed up w/ SPG before we left home just to get the free wifi.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel for $35CAD, and on embarkation day a taxi from the hotel to port for under $10CAD. We walked and used public transit for our 2 full sightseeing days.

I did Blue Horizon as well. It's reasonably priced. Right on the route for the hop on/hop off bus if you are there a few days early. Lots of good food/shopping since it's on Robson. We took a taxi down to the port, quick, easy, and cheap.

As a note some hotels will have a rewards program and if you sign up for free, you get free wifi at the hotel. We did this when we stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront before our Alaskan cruise. When you pick a hotel check their rewards program and see if its worth the free sign up.

I stayed at Hampton Inn on Robson. I used Hilton points, so I don't know how much it cost in $. Nice sized room and hot breakfast and free shuttle to the cruise port.

We also stayed at the Blue Horizon and thought it was great. The price was reasonable and there are lots of restaurants nearby, and a liquor store across the street on Bute Street. The rooms were huge too. We had a 2 queen room.

Hotels that sleep 5 are few and far between in Vancouver. The Sheraton Wall Center has a suite that sleeps 5. Otherwise you may be looking at 2 rooms.

Ideally Vancouver is best explored POST cruise away from the weekend congestion.

Budget hotel choices are:
  • Blue Horizon
  • YWCA
  • airport hotels.... best choice is the Raddison Vancouver Airport with a $4 subway that has you downtown in 20 minutes.

We're a family of 5 as well. It's a bit further out, but we're at the Park Inn & Suites on Broadway. We're 4 blocks from the Canada Line & the Broadway trolley stops right outside. From someone who lives outside of urban areas, I must say that the public transportation in Vancouver is amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!