Alaskan Cruise Hotels and Transportation

We're a family of 5 as well. It's a bit further out, but we're at the Park Inn & Suites on Broadway. We're 4 blocks from the Canada Line & the Broadway trolley stops right outside. From someone who lives outside of urban areas, I must say that the public transportation in Vancouver is amazing!
Thanks for the great tip! That looks like a workable option for our family and the rooms look nice for that price. Wonder how much Uber would be from there to places like Stanley Park? Hmmm. Need to look into the trolley, too. Had no idea there was one.

Thanks for the great tip! That looks like a workable option for our family and the rooms look nice for that price. Wonder how much Uber would be from there to places like Stanley Park? Hmmm. Need to look into the trolley, too. Had no idea there was one.

Vancouver mass transit is incredible (see link below). The compass card system is a real deal if you plan to zoom all over Vancouver (as we plan to do).

https://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/Transit-System-Maps.aspx

I am starting to wonder if price gouging is okay in Canada.

LOL. If you're looking for 2018, you're 2 months before cruise season, summer season, and summer festival season. It's also "stronger chances for lovely weather" season in the pacific northwest. This isn't price gouging; it's late booking for the HIGH season of the area.

There are soooo many hotels in downtown Vancouver, and most are good. We love Sutton Place, Le Grande Residence of Sutton Place, even the Holiday Inn. Hyatt Regency's club level is to die for, though it's not cheap even in the Fall. It's hard to go wrong, though, in downtown, and cabs are inexpensive and excellent for the most part. For many of the hotels it's EASILY walkable, even dragging rolling luggage with you (and I've seen it), to the port. Nothing is that far away. Oh and I love the Listel Hotel, too.

I just spent well over an hour looking at hotel options before our cruise. I have to say ... awful choices. The hotels all look nice, but prices are high and room options are limited for a family of four. I am not paying $700+ to sleep on a sofa or roll away bed — especially when I’m about to spend a week trying to sleep in a cramped stateroom (I may be a bit claustrophobic...). I am also irritated that the nicer hotels farther from the deck do not offer transportation and charge for WiFi. I can’t imagine arranging for a car would cost that much, but I am starting to wonder if price gouging is okay in Canada.

My question for the experienced.... I have no problem staying farther away, however, what is the best way to get to the ship, and how much does it cost?

Thank you!
I stayed at Delta Vancouver Hotel and Suites (https://plaidshirtyogapants.com/2017/06/06/delta-vancouver-hotel/) and had a lovely time. Since the hotels were very expensive we ended up using a ton of points for our three-night stay. Hotels were running about $300-350 per night. Remember to check how much you will 'save' because of the weak CAD.

I'm having the same issue with Barcelona b/c of the Euro Vs USD

I just spent well over an hour looking at hotel options before our cruise. I have to say ... awful choices. The hotels all look nice, but prices are high and room options are limited for a family of four. I am not paying $700+ to sleep on a sofa or roll away bed — especially when I’m about to spend a week trying to sleep in a cramped stateroom (I may be a bit claustrophobic...). I am also irritated that the nicer hotels farther from the deck do not offer transportation and charge for WiFi. I can’t imagine arranging for a car would cost that much, but I am starting to wonder if price gouging is okay in Canada.

My question for the experienced.... I have no problem staying farther away, however, what is the best way to get to the ship, and how much does it cost?

Thank you!
Check out bed and breakfasts. We booked a room at Barclay House for a very good rate.

We stayed at Times Square Suites and loved it. We took a taxi to port. I don’t recall how much but it wasn’t horrible.
We have 3 adults and 2 teenagers and booked the Times Square Suites Hotel. It's close to the restaurants and stores that would address special dietary needs. Then, we either will take a taxi/van or book a shuttle van. Not sure yet. But I heard public transportation is good.

Uber and Lyft are not currently in Vancouver. Our government had promised to bring Uber here by NYE 2017 but it's been stalled still and we have NO idea when ride sharing will be allowed here in Vancouver.

We have 3 adults and 2 teenagers and booked the Times Square Suites Hotel. It's close to the restaurants and stores that would address special dietary needs. Then, we either will take a taxi/van or book a shuttle van. Not sure yet. But I heard public transportation is good.

We are staying at the Times Square Suites as well. Where have you found to eat. I have special dietary needs as well??

We are staying at the Times Square Suites as well. Where have you found to eat. I have special dietary needs as well??
I have a DD18 who is allergic to wheat, tomatoes, carrots, chocolate, eggs, mangoes; and a DD15 who is highly allergic to corn, milk, cheese, butter; allergic to lettuce, onions, broccoli, nuts, mangoes. So, there's a Safeway down the street, too. I am highly allergic to all nuts and sesame seeds. So, you can imagine that we do alot of research.

We are still researching the rest.

I booked us at Pan Pacific for this coming May last year in July. I did it through the Pan Pacific site directly and got the room with plus breakfast for two for about $250 USD. They will also valet our bags to the terminal.

I booked us at Pan Pacific for this coming May last year in July. I did it through the Pan Pacific site directly and got the room with plus breakfast for two for about $250 USD. They will also valet our bags to the terminal.
You give me hope. Thanks! I called today about a room for next May and she said call back in a couple months bc they're not available yet, but when I asked approximately the cost she was guessing about $450 bc it's peak season. But I have heard occasionally of people finding good rates there. Glad you were able to!

We're a family of 5 as well. It's a bit further out, but we're at the Park Inn & Suites on Broadway. We're 4 blocks from the Canada Line & the Broadway trolley stops right outside. From someone who lives outside of urban areas, I must say that the public transportation in Vancouver is amazing!
I assume you're traveling this season? If you don't mind, can you share here how you liked the hotel afterward? If I can't find a place in our budget closer to port, I think Park Inn and Suites is gonna be our hotel. Also, may I ask what type of room you will have - standard or otherwise? It's tough to see room choices online for them.

I assume you're traveling this season? If you don't mind, can you share here how you liked the hotel afterward? If I can't find a place in our budget closer to port, I think Park Inn and Suites is gonna be our hotel. Also, may I ask what type of room you will have - standard or otherwise? It's tough to see room choices online for them.

We're on the 20 August 7 night cruise. We've got a suite, and I had to call the hotel in order to book it (family of 5). Since I couldn't get the suite on points, I did get the AAA discount.

We stayed in Times Square Suites last summer for 4 nights pre-cruise and loved it. So much so that we want to book another trip to see more of the Vancouver area and we will definitely stay there again. The best part about it was the in-room kitchen and Safeway Grocery Store right across the street. Plus there are a lot of places to eat nearby. While we were there, we ate all our breakfasts and most lunches in room and had Mongolian BBQ one night, Red Robin another night (bit of a walk though) and even grabbed a pizza from Pizza Hut down the street. There is a Starbucks right downstairs too.

In 2014 we stayed at the Pan Pacific for 2 nights pre-cruise. We loved the location and the view but the room lacked amenities for a longer stay. The beds are actually doubles and we really felt that difference (vs. a queen) when I had to share a bed with my daughter. Not fun. My son was going to share a bed with my mom but ended up sleeping on the chaise lounge in the room instead. And since there wasn't even a refrigerator in the room, we had no options at all for purchasing or keeping small meals in the room. So you have to plan on eating all meals out. It was fine for a 1 or 2-night stay since your are out of the room most of the time anyway. But those reasons were why we looked elsewhere for our 4-night stay.

Check out bed and breakfasts. We booked a room at Barclay House for a very good rate.

I just booked a room at the Douglas Guest House for our May 2019 Cruise. It's not exactly a B & B, but similar. It's just over 2 miles from the terminal. We are a family of 4 and got a pretty good rate.

We're booked last December for our Sept. Alaska cruise and will be staying at the Pan Pacific. Used credit card and airline points/miles to pay for the room. Yes, Vancouver is very expensive. But the public transportation from the airport to the dock is excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter