Alaskan Cruise Hotels and Transportation

I booked the Delta Hotel Downtown Suites in Gastown with Marriott points, I needed separate beds for my kids and this fit the bill (two queen sized beds and a pull out sofa). It appears that this is walkable to the port, but we will see once we get there. I agree with others that there are discounts available when you book in advance.

Cruising September 3rd, also booked Pan Pacific. I used hotels dot com, though, and with taxes and fees it was only about $275. It's convenient and has room service. I am all about convenience... and room service. But there's only three adults in my party, and I can imagine with a larger family it gets tricky. I'm sorry!

Cruising September 3rd, also booked Pan Pacific. I used hotels dot com, though, and with taxes and fees it was only about $275. It's convenient and has room service. I am all about convenience... and room service. But there's only three adults in my party, and I can imagine with a larger family it gets tricky. I'm sorry!
Thanks for the info. How far in advance did you book?

Thanks for the info. How far in advance did you book?

Well, I actually booked a room a couple of weeks ago, so like the first of June for our 9/3/18 cruise. However, I received an email today advertising "special savings" so I figured I'd check it out. When I saw the price, I changed my booking so that they'd honor the lower price. They're pretty great about that. :)

In 2015, we stayed at the Pan Pacific as well. I was able to book 2 rooms for a good price, but not as great as others here. I like the fact that they offered the luggage service to the ship.

We even had a great view of the ship from our room.

We stayed at Pacific Gateway Hotel out near the airport. They have a free shuttle every 20 minutes to the airport and do drop off and pick up near the Canada Line (Sky Train) "metro" stop as well as at another location in the airport.

Only $10 per person per day for a transit pass. Less expensive to buy a one way ticket on the day of the cruise. and even less expensive returning to the airport from down town because of no surcharge for leaving the airport.

We have used the sky train many times when cruising Alaska or doing the repo cruise up to Vancouver. We have never had an issue with our luggage on the train going either direction.

An advantage for us was that we drove to Vancouver and the Pacific Gateway would let us leave our car there for a small fee.

All told, it's about an hour journey from the hotel to the port - getting down to the airport shuttle, getting tickets and getting onto the sky train, 35 minute trip into town and another 8 minute walk to Canada Place. Easier to walk into the area from the Sky Train than trying to drive into the port.

Well, I actually booked a room a couple of weeks ago, so like the first of June for our 9/3/18 cruise. However, I received an email today advertising "special savings" so I figured I'd check it out. When I saw the price, I changed my booking so that they'd honor the lower price. They're pretty great about that. :)
Just saw your post and I called the Pan Pacific. Originally booked way back in November. The Alaska Cruise package is a much better deal. Saved money. Thank you.

we stayed at the Hampton. The skytrain from the airport takes you a few blocks away. The hotel has free shuttle to take you to the cruise port.

Last August we did an Airbnb out in Burnaby, 20 mins from downtown. We rented a car and drove when we wanted to go downtown. We got a nice 3 bedroom flat for about $125/night. Even with car rental, etc it was way cheaper than a hotel downtown. We even bought take-n-bake pizza for dinner one night and saved more $. I dropped the family & luggage at the port, dropped the car off at the car rental downtown, and walked back to board the ship. I would definitely look at Airbnb or VRBO as an option.

I assume you're traveling this season? If you don't mind, can you share here how you liked the hotel afterward? If I can't find a place in our budget closer to port, I think Park Inn and Suites is gonna be our hotel. Also, may I ask what type of room you will have - standard or otherwise? It's tough to see room choices online for them.

Was cruising through some old posts and saw that I hadn't replied. Park Inn & Suites was fantastic. There wasn't a pool, but the location, price and the convenience of the public transportation made up for it all. Google Maps on the public trans setting was great for timing our bus/skytrain/trolley all over We took the public trans to chinatown, Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Telos Science Museum, downtown, UBC Museum of Anthropology, Granville Island...you get the drif. The Shoppers Mart across the street was great for purchasing the compass cards (a total must!) and snacks/cereal. We walked to our dinner restaurants in the area. There was a post office in the London Drugs about 5 easy blocks down the road for posting mementos home before the cruise. Our Suite was on the top floor with a great panoramic view of downtown. For getting to the port, I asked the front desk and they arranged for a minivan taxi ($22 CAD). Highly recommend Park Inn & Suites for cost/benefit for pre/post cruise vacationing in Vancouver.

Last edited:
We will be staying at the Sandman Hotel, Vancouver City Centre when we go in June. Fingers crossed it's ok! It was $242 CAD and has 2 Queen beds. I know some people in my FB group are staying in the Pan Pacific.

Thanks! We are still looking for hotel the night before we cruise & a few nights after. We cruise in June too! The 17th! I’ve yet to find a meet up group to join.

Last August we did an Airbnb out in Burnaby, 20 mins from downtown. We rented a car and drove when we wanted to go downtown.

Just booked our air bnb house last week for our July 29 cruise. We are seven adults so this was the only real option for the space and $$ As for transportation, we are near the train and plan to use car sharing aps like zip car...seems like a good thing...we'll see

We did Alaska last September and camein the night before. I stayed at the Fairmont at the Vancouver airport, booking directly w the hotel. Thought it was reasonable. The next morning we took the train right from the airport to Canada Place. Once off the train, it’s about a block that you have to walk. The train was inexpensive. Post cruise, out flight wasn’t until 10:35 at night and booked an all-day excursion, not through the cruise line, it was well worth it. It even dropped us off w our luggage at the airport. Very simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter