alcohol

Familygirl

Earning My Ears
We are planning a March 2009 cruise and I read that people could bring there own alcohol. I am assuming that you would carry it own, but how do you pack it to keep it from breaking? Anyone ever done this?:confused3

:welcome: to the DIS..

We do bring our own, as it is allowed. We bring it on with us, in a rolling cooler. The cooler is allowed, however, only soft sided ones, and NO ice, as it must go through the Xray Screener.

Some pack it in their luggage, and that is personal. I would not feel comfortable for many reasons. If it broke, and spilled on all my clothes, or perhaps ruined someone else's, I would feel badly.

We prefer it this way. Just remember if you bring your own wine bottle to the dining rooms, they can and will charge a 15$ fee for opening it. We always try to avoid this, and do so by requesting glasses (or picking them up at any bar) and open it in our room and just bring our glasses to dinner..

Any beer we bring is in plastic or metal cans, as glass is prohibited near the pool areas..

HTH:goodvibes

Are there fridges in state rooms? You mentioned that you can just bring your glass into dinner - did they have a problem with this or not?

Are there fridges in state rooms? You mentioned that you can just bring your glass into dinner - did they have a problem with this or not?

There are cold ice boxes. Mine never kept anything very cold. What we did was request ice 2x daily in our stateroom and then kept everything chilled and/or in the fridge. That worked VERY well.

We have never had a problem walking around or brining our drinks anywhere on the ship.

I read that people were bringing their own alcohol/wine on board? How much are you allowed to take on board? Would you take it as a carryon? And how exactly would you pack it so they would not break? Anyone ever done this?:confused3

As seen, I have merged the thread together, as they are the same topic.

I always bring at least a 12 pack w/ me. Dh is not much of a drinker and we'll have a beer or two and a couple drinks of the day. I just bring it in the rolling carry on. I may decide to bring along some rum on our next cruise and have a few rum and cokes. Although I have bought rum at the ports, but never opened it on board. You have to finish the bottle if you do bring it onboard.

The room coolers don't keep things very cold as mentioned, but I put my beer in there and then when I plan on having one, I put a couple in the ice bucket. Hmmmm....nothing better than an ice cold beer.:drinking1 :drinking:

We also used a rolling soft sided cooler - no ice - and treated it as one of our carry-ons. We wrapped the glass bottles with bubble wrap for extra protection. Our room steward kept ice in the cooler for us and everything stayed nice and cold. :)

bit confused now...
if i bring a bottle of baileys irish cream onboard (at port canaveral) do i need to finish it before the end of the cruise?

bit confused now...
if i bring a bottle of baileys irish cream onboard (at port canaveral) do i need to finish it before the end of the cruise?

I believe you can't have open containers of alcohol in vehicles (most states have laws against this) and anything you bring off the ship must be unopened due to customs. We have abided by this belief and anything opened gets left. Better than getting a fine from customs and/or a driving award from the local police. :)

were going to leave the bottle in the trunk of the car when we were driving, but want the bottle for when we get back to orlando (got 2 weeks left after the cruise), so guess i wont be able to open it onboard. grrrr

I read that people were bringing their own alcohol/wine on board? How much are you allowed to take on board? Would you take it as a carryon? And how exactly would you pack it so they would not break? Anyone ever done this?:confused3

Yes, I have done this several time. I wrap it in bubble wrap then more bubble wrap, & then more bubble wrap & wrap thick packaging tape around it. I then wrap it in a towel.

My problem is, it is wrapped so tight, that I need a steak knife to open it.(which is fine)

You can take as much as you like. Just be very careful, and follow the directions above with each bottle.

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for the useful information. My husband and I were curious about the alcohol and we like to have a few drinks while on vacation. We really appreciate everyones input!

Does anyone know if there is a liquor store close to Orlando International Airport? We'd like to bring a bottle on board with us but can't carry it on the plane with us.

Hmmm....I'm trying to think of a few for you! LOL.

Are you driving or taking Disney transportation? I live close to the airport so if you want PM me and I will let you know a few places I can think of!

Hmmm....I'm trying to think of a few for you! LOL.

Are you driving or taking Disney transportation? I live close to the airport so if you want PM me and I will let you know a few places I can think of!

Sent you a pm. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter