All About Pixar October 2019 Exercise Challenge

Congratulations to PollyannaMom, Twilight Sparkle, softball chick and the team for turning Nemo Orange!

Today is the opening day for "The Science Behind Pixar" exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. This exhibit, which has been traveling North America and Japan for the past several years, explores the science, technology, engineering, art, and math used at Pixar.

https://www.dmns.org/visit/exhibitions/the-science-behind-pixar/
If you visit the DMNS website about the exhibit and scroll down to the bottom, there are fun facts about technical aspects of Pixar movies.

Last edited:
After coming into existence as a separate company, Pixar basically had to wait for computer power to rise to the level it needed to create the movies it wanted to make. (There's a theory called Moore's law -- that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit doubles approximately every two years.) In the meantime, it focused on the computer hardware business, creating the Pixar Image Computer and proprietary software, and it made commercials for other companies. But the computer didn't sell well, and in 1990 Pixar sold its hardware division to Vicom Systems.

Last edited:

Congratulations to PollyannaMom, Twilight Sparkle, softball chick and the team for turning Nemo Orange!

Today is the opening day for "The Science Behind Pixar" exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. This exhibit, which has been traveling North America and Japan for the past several years, explores the science, technology, engineering, art, and math used at Pixar.

If you visit the DMNS website about the exhibit and scroll down to the bottom, there are fun facts about technical aspects of Pixar movies.

That sounds like a fun exhibit. Would love to see it.

I saw that when it was in Boston! -

I remember reading about Merida's hair, and there was a thing where you could animate the lamp.

50 minutes since my last post (25 treadmill on Saturday, and 25 actually outside today!)

185/500

In 1991, Disney and Pixar signed a three-picture deal. The first of the three movies to be released under that deal was Toy Story in 1995.

Toy Story was the first fully computer-animated feature length film. It had a production budget of $30 million (compare that to 1994's The Lion King, with a production budget of nearly $80 million!). Toy Story grossed $29.1 million its opening weekend and became one of the highest grossing films of the year, topping Batman Forever and Apollo 13.

If you can't get enough Toy Story, Pixar's website describes its Toy Story Toons, which look to be shorts featuring the TS characters.

https://www.pixar.com/toy-story-toons-1

Hello from Amsterdam!!!! The boat just docked and I’ve decided to skip the walking trip to the windmills- it’s 50 degrees and raining. 🥴
It’s been a wonderful trip. I highly recommend a river cruise- but be warned - the age group is mostly retirees! That said, it’s actually been quite active. I’ve logged 720 minutes so far! I’m sure that’s helping work off some of the calories!
So, I’m at 870 for the month, so far! We still have a week to go! I’ll post in from Amsterdam and then Paris. I’ll need a vacation from my vacation!!!

Congratulations to BonnieF for jumping to Nemo Orange (and to her, softball chick, and the team as a whole for hovering just a couple percent under Violet Parr Violet)!

In addition to feature-length films, Pixar has released numerous short films. Can you name any of the five Pixar theatrical shorts that have won the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film?

Bao (2018)
Piper (2016)
For the Birds (2002)
Geri's Game (1997)
Tin Toy (1989)

Pixar's website also features "SparkShorts: Pixar Artists' Projects," which are intended to explore new storytellers and processes.

Last edited:
Hello from Amsterdam!!!! The boat just docked and I’ve decided to skip the walking trip to the windmills- it’s 50 degrees and raining. 🥴
It’s been a wonderful trip. I highly recommend a river cruise- but be warned - the age group is mostly retirees! That said, it’s actually been quite active. I’ve logged 720 minutes so far! I’m sure that’s helping work off some of the calories!
So, I’m at 870 for the month, so far! We still have a week to go! I’ll post in from Amsterdam and then Paris. I’ll need a vacation from my vacation!!!

115 minutes today, walking the streets, dodging the ‘killer bicycles’. Boy, they’re pretty crazy! Then we went to the Van Gogh museum. Just beautiful! Amsterdam is VB lovely.
985/1800

So glad you are having a great trip, BonnieF! Love the "killer bicycles" imagery your post inspires. Stay safe! : )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!