All about the Autotrain

We are supposed to leave for FL next Saturday, 10/22. As of now trains are cancelled due to Matthew. They said to call Friday to see if they will be running. Don't want to wait till then to find out if we have to drive. Anyone drive now. Heard parts of 95 also closed.

What! That's when we are leaving too!!

Yeah. I called last Tuesdsy and they said they would be back by Thursday. I called today and they are still out. They told me to call Friday (the day before we leave) to see if they were leaving Daturday. I'm going to call each day this week. Don't want to drive. Let's meet up next Saturday in Lorton station if it's running. I'll come back and post if I hear anything.

Yeah. I called last Tuesdsy and they said they would be back by Thursday. I called today and they are still out. They told me to call Friday (the day before we leave) to see if they were leaving Daturday. I'm going to call each day this week. Don't want to drive. Let's meet up next Saturday in Lorton station if it's running. I'll come back and post if I hear anything.

The Amtrak service and alerts page has been updated regularly (https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices). Currently they do not have any cancellations for the auto train. They did previously. I was able to find this link in my browser history (https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Cont...=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251643273720). I see a little conflicting information, and I'm not sure if it's running today or tomorrow. Monday looks like the 1st day they should have the train running again. I've also been using the "check status" option on the amtrak site (https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak). So far nothing is running, but it looks promising - WAY TOO close - but promising.

Thanks for the update. Hope all is back and running on Minday. The person I spoke to this morning did not say that. I'm going to call again and see what they say.

Thanks for the update. Hope all is back and running on Minday. The person I spoke to this morning did not say that. I'm going to call again and see what they say.

Good news, it looks like the 1st post-Matthew train is running! Currently it is almost 2 hours ahead of schedule. :-)
Have a magical week!!

For those taking the Autotrain soon, we are booked for Saturday and received an email that the trains are running but delayed. We have to call again tomorrow to confirm what time we have to check in.

What! That's when we are leaving too!!

Received a email yesterday that the trains are delayed. I called and I think yesterday's (Thursday's) train left 5 hours late. This might impact us on Saturday. I'm going to call again today during the day and then again tonight.

So it's Saturday around 2:00. We are checked in to the Autotrain. Supposed to leave at 4:00 - we are delayed at least 3 to 4 hours. Let's see what happens.

I'm trying to book (with points) our August train for next year. Fares are sky high for June, July and August. Normally they drop 11 months out. Not this year, sigh. This will be our last year taking the train after the fiasco in August.

This would be our first trip on Autotrain. We are looking at next Oct but fares are so high. When fares are lower is it only for the passenger portion. Seems the auto portion remains 246 all the time. Is that correct?

This would be our first trip on Autotrain. We are looking at next Oct but fares are so high. When fares are lower is it only for the passenger portion. Seems the auto portion remains 246 all the time. Is that correct?
Not correct. The car portion is normally $196. Last year it was $186.00. I did a mock booking in March 2017 and saw that rate.

Not correct. The car portion is normally $196. Last year it was $186.00. I did a mock booking in March 2017 and saw that rate.

It's odd. I just tried again for 10/4 or 10/7 and the vehicle is coming up as 246. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

It's odd. I just tried again for 10/4 or 10/7 and the vehicle is coming up as 246. I'll have to try again tomorrow.[/QUOTE
The car portion of the fare usually remains high until 4 months out. That's why March is discounted. December through February is high as is April through October. My strategy is to book when the passenger fare is lowest even if car fare is high, then watch for the car portion to drop..I then call Amtrak and they always refund me or give me a credit.

I'm trying to book (with points) our August train for next year. Fares are sky high for June, July and August. Normally they drop 11 months out. Not this year, sigh. This will be our last year taking the train after the fiasco in August.
I saw that too. I am going 9/14. I decided to take the Amtrak Silver Meteor the whole way, RI to Orlando and get a rental car. It was at cheapest rate.

I saw that too. I am going 9/14. I decided to take the Amtrak Silver Meteor the whole way, RI to Orlando and get a rental car. It was at cheapest rate.
Thanks for this info. I'm seriously considering doing this and renting a car in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!