Is there any sort of calculator someone has created to help people decide when it's more advantageous to purchase an Annual Pass over regular tickets?

Nope.
The most conservative way to decide is if it will be less expensive to go with an AP vs just buying the required number of stand-alone tickets
within a given year.
(Don't forget to factor in that an AP also includes Memory Maker photos.)

Can someone help me figure out some fuzzy Disney math?

We purchased 8 day MYW+ tickets (water parks and more option at that point) on 2/14/17 from Parksavers. Our final cost was $475ish per ticket. We'll be going down next week, and are hoping to upgrade to the DVC special Platinum Plus Pass at the special price. Does anyone know how much we'll be paying for each upgrade?

The cost of the tickets if they were purchased today from Parksavers would be $520, and they've got an even higher gate value. Do we do the difference between that and the AP or just what we paid and AP? In other words, are they bridging the value of tickets, still?

Can someone help me figure out some fuzzy Disney math?

We purchased 8 day MYW+ tickets (water parks and more option at that point) on 2/14/17 from Parksavers. Our final cost was $475ish per ticket. We'll be going down next week, and are hoping to upgrade to the DVC special Platinum Plus Pass at the special price. Does anyone know how much we'll be paying for each upgrade?

The cost of the tickets if they were purchased today from Parksavers would be $520, and they've got an even higher gate value. Do we do the difference between that and the AP or just what we paid and AP? In other words, are they bridging the value of tickets, still?

It is very likely that the tickets you bought on 2/14/17 were minted (printed) prior to the 2/12/17 price increase.
IF that IS the case, subtract the price for tickets of the kind that you HAVE from THIS 2016 PRICE LIST from the CURRENT cost of the AP that you WANT. Pay that difference price for the upgrade.

Last edited:

Nope.

(Don't forget to factor in that an AP also includes Memory Maker photos.)

We got APs last year because we took grandkids for 2 weeks in December and the rest of them for 2 weeks in June. Made sense to get them. Plus we went in Sept/October/November for all of F&W (minus 2 weeks). When we bought exchange tickets for the APs (military deal), the were not giving PhotoPass with it. When we activated APs we still got the photo deal. Considering we had all 8 grandchildren with us it was a GREAT addition. Plus I was able to get boozed up several times at F&W. WE stayed off site in time shares though. Too expensive to stay onsite for that amount of time. For the GC we stayed at Saratoga Springs and SoG. Onsite is great for first trips.

Just renewed my annual pass (platinum) When I got it they sent a card in the mail that I gave to the ticket window and they gave me the actual pass. Will they do that again? Hoping it will arrive here in Canada before I leave for Disney in 2 weeks. Also, if I renewed it online and it is listed as a renewal under my tickets do I have to link my pass? Or is it already linked?

Just renewed my annual pass (platinum) When I got it they sent a card in the mail that I gave to the ticket window and they gave me the actual pass. Will they do that again? Hoping it will arrive here in Canada before I leave for Disney in 2 weeks. Also, if I renewed it online and it is listed as a renewal under my tickets do I have to link my pass? Or is it already linked?

If your current AP "card" shows an end date, you will need to get a new card at Guest Relations.

I'd like to plan a trip, but have some adult children that may or may not be able to come. If I were to buy them tickets, book their fastpasses, etc. and then they are unable to go, can those tickets be used by anyone in the future or have they been "marked" as belonging to the person that fastpasses had been reserved for.

I'd like to plan a trip, but have some adult children that may or may not be able to come. If I were to buy them tickets, book their fastpasses, etc. and then they are unable to go, can those tickets be used by anyone in the future or have they been "marked" as belonging to the person that fastpasses had been reserved for.

Unused tickets can be reassigned.

I'd like to plan a trip, but have some adult children that may or may not be able to come. If I were to buy them tickets, book their fastpasses, etc. and then they are unable to go, \
1. can those tickets be used by anyone in the future
2. or have they been "marked" as belonging to the person that fastpasses had been reserved for.
1. Yes.
2. No.

This is an odd question but I'm hoping you'll be able to help sort out a tiny problem. Airmiles is still *selling* children's tickets at the CDN discounted *price* but are now sending out actual hard tickets that no longer need to be validated. Awesome because still the huge discount but not so wonderful because they now have expiry dates attached to them! Am i correct in my thoughts that the value of the tickets won't ever expire? Some of us have no plans for trips but now have tickets that expire the end of next year. How do we proceed? Once we go to use the tickets i imagine we can add $$ to bring it up to whatever the current gate price is? (At least i hope so!) IF this is the case, will the system allow us to make FP+ with expired tickets attached to our kids?

This is an odd question but I'm hoping you'll be able to help sort out a tiny problem. Airmiles is still *selling*
1. children's tickets at the CDN discounted *price* but are now sending out actual hard tickets that no longer need to be validated. Awesome because still the huge discount but
2. not so wonderful because they now have expiry dates attached to them!
3. Am i correct in my thoughts that the value of the tickets won't ever expire? Some of us have no plans for trips but now have tickets that expire the end of next year. How do we proceed?
4. Once we go to use the tickets i imagine we can add $$ to bring it up to whatever the current gate price is? (At least i hope so!) IF this is the case,
5. will the system allow us to make FP+ with expired tickets attached to our kids?

1. & 2. Even if you got "certificates," (from now on) it would surely be the case that they would have the same or similar expiration date.
3. That's the info we have been told.
4. The situation would likely be that you can use the value of the price originally paid in purchasing a new ticket.
(It may very well be that guests would not be able to "price bridge.")
5. We don't know. However, being able to book FP on an expired ticket is unlikely.

1. & 2. Even if you got "certificates," (from now on) it would surely be the case that they would have the same or similar expiration date.
3. That's the info we have been told.
4. The situation would likely be that you can use the value of the price originally paid in purchasing a new ticket.
(It may very well be that guests would not be able to "price bridge.")
5. We don't know. However, being able to book FP on an expired ticket is unlikely.
THANKS for the quick and detailed response! Regarding the expiration date on the certificates -- Airmiles was still clearing out the stock they had of the actual CDN Discounted vouchers and all they had left until early last week were the child's tickets and they were in fact the ones with no expiry date. This current situation is just a tiny wrinkle that I'm sure they'll catch onto pronto and adjust the number of miles required to redeem sky high. There will be quite a few unhappy people once they discover that a screen shot from the Airmiles site that shows the words "The best part? You can use these discounted tickets at any time during 2016, 2017 and beyond—they won’t expire!" won't change the fact that these tickets do expire and that simply waiting to add it to your MDE account won't alter that fact!

First off, thank you x 282627272 to this thread, I am back from my trip and successfully upgraded to an AP from a 10 day PH purchased as part of a package. I upgraded at the ticket building located inside Liberty Square across from the Christmas store and it was quick, easy and amazing. The cast member that helped me was awesome.

Now come new questions :)

I read the upgrading post at the beginning and the AP post too.

You cannot combine the value of more than one ticket in order to upgrade to a singe new ticket or AP

You are renewing your AP within the renewal window (up to 60 days before or 30 days after your AP anniversary date)
you may upgrade a MYW ticket to the Pass using the renewal rate.

My questions are:

1) may I purchase a 10 day PH now, and use it to renew my annual pass when it's renewal time?

2) if i purchase the ticket from Disney (either in a package or stand alone) and prices increase, will I need to use it first the ticket to keep the old pricing before using it toward my renewal?

3) if I purchase 10 day PH from 3rd party, can I use that toward renewal and how does that effect with price bridging?

I'm assuming prices will go up again before my AP needs renewal and I want to be able to utilize discounted tickets/pre-pay for the renewal by purchasing a ticket ahead of time to use for renewal if that's possible.

My AP expires in September 2018 and need to renew for a November 2018 trip.

Any and all help appreciated, thank you in advance, you are most appreciated!

1) may I purchase a 10 day PH now, and use it to renew my annual pass when it's renewal time?

2) if i purchase the ticket from Disney (either in a package or stand alone) and prices increase, will I need to use it first the ticket to keep the old pricing before using it toward my renewal?

3) if I purchase 10 day PH from 3rd party, can I use that toward renewal and how does that effect with price bridging?

4) I'm assuming prices will go up again before my AP needs renewal and I want to be able to utilize discounted tickets/pre-pay for the renewal by purchasing a ticket ahead of time to use for renewal if that's possible.

1) Yes.
2) No.
No ticket must be used before upgrading. (You CAN use a ticket before upgrading, but it doesn't affect the upgrade price, either way.)
A ticket that is part of a WDW Resort Package will be price-bridged.
A ticket that is purchased directly from Disney (ticket only purchase) will not be price-bridged.
3) That ticket will be price-bridged.
4) That's a safe bet.
Buying a ticket with the most savings from an authorized reseller is a decent "hedge."

1) Yes.
2) No.
No ticket must be used before upgrading. (You CAN use a ticket before upgrading, but it doesn't affect the upgrade price, either way.)
A ticket that is part of a WDW Resort Package will be price-bridged.
A ticket that is purchased directly from Disney (ticket only purchase) will not be price-bridged.
3) That ticket will be price-bridged.
4) That's a safe bet.
Buying a ticket with the most savings from an authorized reseller is a decent "hedge."

Always so so helpful! Thank you! Now if only I knew how much an platinum AP renewal will cost, I'll be all set! I'll be buying a discounted 10 day PH towards my renewal, thank you!

Always so so helpful! Thank you! Now if only I knew how much an platinum AP renewal will cost, I'll be all set! I'll be buying a discounted 10 day PH towards my renewal, thank you!

You're welcome.
Just make sure that the 10-day is the ticket with the most savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter