All around lens for photographing family at/in Disney

Snag22815

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
I have a Nikon D 3300. I use my 35 mm and my 50 mm lenses primarily. However, I am a mom and I just take pictures of my kids and family.
I am not a photographer or photography buff.
I wanted a nice camera to take nice pictures of my kids.
That’s the backstory.
What I would like to know is: What is a good all around lens to shoot pictures of my children and my family while in the parks, and at the resorts?
I love the look the 50 mm gives, but I don’t like having to back up 50 feet (exaggerating of course) while in chaos to get everybody in the frame and take a decent picture.
I’m trying to find something that I can rent that will be multipurpose and deliver high quality results. Thank you in advance!!

Its certainly a difficult choice. Difficult to balance size/weight with convenience. I've found it depends on the park. In the MK and DHS a 18-85 zoom covers everything pretty well. It also works well at Epcot with the exception of shots across WS where an even longer lens is helpful. At DAK, I find I'm often at the long end of my 18-200 zoom, but there are so many interesting shots where I'm using the 18 end.

A nice fast mid-range zoom is my lens of choice most days. I shoot Canon, but I'm sure there are Nikon equivalents. When I shot with a crop sensor, I used a 17-55 f/2.8. Now that I have a full frame, I use the 24-70 f/2.8.

The 2.8 lenses are heavier, but will give you that image quality you're used to with the primes.

What I would like to know is: What is a good all around lens to shoot pictures of my children and my family while in the parks, and at the resorts?
I love the look the 50 mm gives, but I don’t like having to back up 50 feet (exaggerating of course) while in chaos to get everybody in the frame and take a decent picture.
I’m trying to find something that I can rent that will be multipurpose and deliver high quality results. Thank you in advance!!
Been a long time since I shopped nikkon. But Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM is avail for nikkon and it is a killer "standard" lens.

Really top of my priciness scale (I'm a dilettante really) at about $300 I think, but so glad I bought it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!