All Work and All Play

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
I thought i would start a log for my upcoming trip in November since i'm going to start packing soon.
My next trip out to Disney World is going to be a little challenging, but so worth it! I leave November 1st for a work trip to Vegas, i then leave there the 5th and fly down to Orlando for the following 6 days.
This is my first time doing a split trip and to mention my stay at Disney World will be a split stay on top of that!

I am still trying to work out how I will juggle my luggage and manage to fit an assortment of business professional attire and cute Disney outfits on top of all the medication and equipment i need into one big bag!
To explain some smaller details of my life and the trip let me introduce myself!

Hello I'm Marissa! I am 23 and I spend all my spare time traveling all over the world but mostly to Disney World/Land. I have a genetic disease called Cystic Fibrosis and this past year my health was at an all time low. In June a doctor advised me to give up traveling until I have a double lung transplant and am in a healthier condition and I was given two years left to live. I decided that if that was going to be the time I had I wasn't going to waste it! So I am spending all the time (and finances) I can manage to be in the places I love the most (while still working to be healthier too).

This trip was originally scheduled to be a reunion with 3 of my closest friends from my college program in 2013, we haven't all been together since November of that year. Then I had the opportunity to go on a work trip on top of that and I couldn't turn it down so I'm arriving in Orlando a day after my friends. I can't wait to wear a reunion button and see some of my absolute favorite people!

I'm also super excited to have the privilege to be in Disney World for their Christmas parade taping! It's been one of my biggest dreams to be at the parade! I had the opportunity to participate in the Disney college program fall of 2013. I thought that would be my chance to see the parade filming but my health forced me to end my program that November. Last year I spent Christmas in the hospital fighting off influenza and pneumonia the beginning of a long battle that I am still trying to recover from today, but knowing that I will be accomplishing one of my biggest dreams that I never thought would happen gives me so much hope for the future.

I can't wait to update this log on my trip and my adventure, i hope you'll follow me along the way!

Trip Itinerary!
Thursday
I am working half a day then heading to the airport! I fly from the Las Vegas airport into Atlanta with a short layover then onto Orlando! I won't arrive at our hotel (All Star Movies) until about 1:00am Friday morning (technically). It's going to be a long day with lots of time changes.

Friday
9:15-10:15 Toy Story Midway Mania
10:50-11:50 Star Tours
12:35-1:35 Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Run Disney Expo Sometime

Saturday
9:15-10:15 Kilimanjaro Safari
11:20-12:20 Expedition Everest
1:00-2:00 Dinosaur
10:00 Wine N Dine After Party

Sunday
12:50-1:50 The Seas with Nemo and Friends
2:30-3:30 Test Track
3:35-4:35 Mission Space
6:10 Chefs De France

Monday
9:30-10:30 Meet Tinkerbell
10:30-11:30 Meet Mickey
12:25-1:25 Small World
6:00- Boathouse

Tuesday

9:00-10:00 Big Thunger Railroad
10:35-11:35 Haunted Mansion
12:30-1:30 Space Mountain
3:00 Check out of All Star
4:00 Check into Bay Lake Tower (EEK)
5:35 Yachtsman Steakhouse
7:00 Christmas Party

Wednesday
11:00 Check out of Bay Lake Tower
3:30 Magical Express to the airport
6:30 Fly Home

I know there will be a couple updates to this between now and when I leave for the trip, but I think it will be fun to compare the remade itinerary to what we actually do on our trip! We'll see how many of these things really get done, and what else we can accomplish!

Looks like a great trip you have planned! Love Bay Lake Tower, that will be super fun switching over there.

Day One!​

kind of...​

What an exhausting week, but I am home now and ready to write up my trip report! I’ll start with my flight out!

I spent the four days before my trip to Orlando on a separate work trip in Las Vegas. I was busy working an expo for 5.5 days so it consisted of standing on my feet for roughly 8 hours a day. I was relieved when Thursday rolled around because I was only working until noon and then I went back to my hotel room packed up all my bags and headed for the Las Vegas airport! My flight wasn’t until 3:30pm but I like getting there and having plenty of time to check in and relax. I really love being at the airport, it’s the perfect opportunity to reflect on your travel plans and to people watch.

My flight boarded and left right on time. I sadly did not get offered any upgrades not even one for economy comfort, but I got lucky and I was in the row behind economy comfort and my backpack managed to fit under the seat (it doesn’t in regular coach seats). I spent my time on the plane watching movies and relaxing, I was hoping to get in a nap, but that didn’t quite work out. I landed in Atlanta around 9:30 eastern time and I had to rush to my next plane as the lay over was only around 45 minutes and the Atlanta airport can be a bear to deal with.

I was successful in catching my second plane for the day, and it left nearly on time (that is all you can really ask for). Thank heavens for new planes because I had a USB charger right at my seat so my phone was revived! I got off the plane and headed straight to the baggage claim where the luggage was already going around the carousel. Praise Delta’s knew policy on bags in 20 minutes of less!

This is where the real struggle begins. My suitcase weighed a whopping 50lbs and my suitcase had unfortunately crossed into the twilight zone of baggage claim and was hardly holding it together. I somehow managed to drag my suitcase to the Magical Express check in desk where I spent 10 minutes trying to get on the bus. You see our resort reservation got a little screwy somehow. The reservation was made by one person but somehow another guest in our party became primary so after listing off almost everyone who was staying on the reservation the ME reservation appeared by a miracle with all 4 of us scheduled to board. I’m not sure if the greeters were frustrated or just plain disappointed I was by my lonesome self trying to meet the rest of my party at the resort, but they caved in and told me lane four would be for the All Star resorts.

I again dragged my suitcase down the lane and to the curb for the bus where the driver had seemingly vanished. I was partially grateful he wasn’t there because I hadn’t remember any cash to handoff for a tip so I put my own suitcase on the bus and proceeded to board. The next 45 minute consisted of people slowly trickling onto the bus all as exhausted or perhaps even more so than I was myself. My heart hurt for the small children who weren’t sure if all this exhaustion was worth going to Disney, especially when they would have to wait another sleep before getting to the real fun.

The bus ride to the resort consisted of me trying my best not to let me exhaustion turn me into a grumpy gill, as the young girls behind me shouted the answers to the Disney trivia question incorrectly. Happy 16th birthday to the one girl though she was refreshingly excited for someone her age and it always brings me joy to see teenagers who aren’t “too cool” for Disney.

Finally we made it to All Star Movies after stopping at three other resort. I departed the bus feeling my second or third wind coming. Again I dragged my suitcase to the front desk where I practically begged the lady to have dell services assist me to the room. After pawning the devil suitcase off on some other unlucky sap I trudged my way to our room which was thankfully only in the Toy Story section. After walking through the door to Andy’s room I was pretty mystified that after all the time I’ve spent at Disney I never even knew this place existed! It was incredible! The theming was beautiful, and I most certainly felt the need to climb on the giant Woody (thank god for that fence). I waddled to the room and knocked on the door as softly as I could but still ensuring I would be heard by whomever happened to be awake. The door opened to reveal my good friend who I hadn’t seen in person for nearly a year!

A beautiful welcome home! Then I proceeded to ask her for $5 so I could tip the bellman who would bring me my bag and like a true friend she said “you’re going to pay me back right?” okay I’m kidding she didn’t say that, and for those curious yes of course I will pay her back eventually… We sat and chatted for what felt like ever until the bellman brought my suitcase around. We were then able to get some sleep though I think we ended up chatting some more. Finally we crashed for a few more hours before our day would formally begin.

Day 2

After falling asleep roughly around 3:30/4:00am but naturally we were up around 7am. No disney day shall go to waste not even for sleep! One of our friends who was also in the room slept in a bit as we got ready and grabbed some breakfast, then we made of towards the Run Disney Health and Fitness Expo! It was packed! My friend went and got her run packet while I headed over to the other side of the expo to check out the merchandise booths. I got some Wine N Dine Half merch for my friend and then scoped out the Disney collection at the New Balance booth before deciding I really don't need another pair (i have sorcerer Mickey and Tinkerbell already). Then we were off to Hollywood Studios!
We took a stroll down Sunset Boulevard and took a fall on my favorite ride in the theme parks The Tower of Terror. Now i have a famous (among my friends) saying "Front row or no go!". This saying was developed because I am quite short. I have found that if i am in any seat besides the front row I will now appear in the pictures at all. We had an exceptional elevator, I even got some of the drop on video!
After meandering around the gift shop we went back to the front gates and made a stop at Guest Relations. My friend was having some Magic Band issues and I needed to upgrade my 4 day Park Hopper to a Premier Pass (yes, my wallet is still crying). It took a few minutes for the upgrade because for some reason my park ticket wasn't actually on the band (so weird) but I had my email confirmation and it wasn't a problem in the end!

We hen met up with our other (our working) friend. We took off towards Star Tours which we had a fast pass for (not that there was a line). We immediately boarded our spaceship and took off through the stars. Not before discovering that my working friend, the one who was sitting directly to my right not even a foot apart was a Rebel Spy. I feel bad for the people we were riding with because there was a little screaming at that discovering. Now I'm not bitter or anything and don't tell her i said this but it should've been me...... Just saying :D

We decided it was time to eat something so we wandered around the streets of america looking for some food. We found some friends along the way but somehow managed only getting some sweets at Writers stop, I myself grabbed a hot chocolate and a ginger bread cookie. I am sad to report the hot chocolate was like brown hot water (scary i know) and the gingerbread cookie while being delicious! was ruined as parts of it were dipped in chocolate. If I had been a little smarter then i would have tried dipping the chocolate pieces into my hot water to see if i could create some kind of fusion but sadly i disposed of what was left of them both.

Then finally it was happening! The Osborne lights were being lit for the first (not really) time this year! They did a cute little show and the Disney World Ambassadors were there and it was incredible! The lights came on and I have to say I cried!
The Osborne lights old a very special place in my heart. I used to be a CP and I had to end my program early due to some severe medical complications. Thank to some amazing managers I was able to have one night off before I had to leave and I spent it sitting on the curb staring up at the Osborne lights. This was the first time i had seen them again since that night nearly 2 years ago! I still tear up remembering this is the last year and i may never see them again. It was so crowded that it was difficult to walk around, but we all managed to see every piece of the lights we could, enjoying the songs and the shows and the Snope. Ugh i could cry just thinking about it all now!
The crowds did get the better of us sadly. Our group started to split up! One of us just vanished. One of my other friends met up with her old coworker and the four of us together went through the standby line for Tower and this time we sat in the very back row, where I happily photobombed the people in front of me. After that we split into an even smaller group! My friend and her coworker went to chat while my other friend and I didn't want to let our fast passes for Toy Story Midway Mania to go to waste!
Let me say, she may be the Rebel Spy, but I was the Midway Mania champion, even if it was only by 3,000 points. While we were waiting in line for Toy Story we discovered that the magic band I had picked up that morning out of the box wasn't really mine, it was hers! So this whole time I'd been pretending to be her all day and i hadn't even realized it.
We head over to Great Movie Ride as that is where our friend and her coworker were at, we didn't quite meet up with them until we got off though. Then we headed back up to Guest Relations to ask about the Magic Band debacle, let me explain a little more.

Okay so there are four of us in the hotel, two of them are cast members and two of us are just you're average tourists. I managed to pick up the wrong Magic Band, I picked up my friends who's a cast member. She has multiples and also happened to be working on this day. Well the crazy thing is, I still managed to get into the park. My ticket was only registered on my magic band, which is why at guest relations previously my ticket wouldn't appear. My friends band has her maingate (or cast member pass). Somehow her band let me into the park. I've decided we're twins, but considering she has a twin we must be triplets! Well she was working at that time, so we wanted to make sure she wouldn't get in trouble somehow!
The guy at guest relations could hardly believe it. He said that it obviously wasn't impossible but it was like a one in a million chance at working. I accept that as my pixie dust for the day though!

After all that fund we headed back to our room at All Star Movies. We were exhausted and starving might i add, so after a quick stop at the room we headed towards the Food Court. I had some kind of Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans and an extra side of macaroni and cheese. Another bit of pixie dust for the day, the cashier let me have my extra side without charge, praise the kindness of cast members! We sat at the food court and chatted for a while and eventually headed back to the room where we goofed around some more before happily falling asleep.

SATURDAY​

We all mostly woke up early to head out to Animal Kingdom! A little back story, i've only been to Animal Kingdom twice before this. I went my whole college program without ever stepping foot in the park. We had fast passes for the safari which i'd never been on before so I was really excited! We even got to see the lions and white rhino (i was told thats not always the case). We then ventured over to the Harambe Theater for the Festival of the Lion King. Luckily we snagged seats in the lion section.
I had never seen the show before and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was! The music and the dancing was incredible and the costumes were just amazing!!! This is going to be a must do for me on every trip now, i've fall in love!
After that we ventured over to Expedition Everest which is my second favorite ride now topped only by the Tower of Terror. After taking a drop down the mountain we head over to see the Finding Nemo show, also a first for me. I loved the music and the costumes of this show.
After Nemo we wandered around for bit until it was time for our Dinosaur fast passes.
Then we decided to head over to the Polynesian for lunch at Captain Cooks. I used to work at the Polynesian so it holds a special place in my heart! I always make a point to visit my old coworkers and see what is new. The renovation is stunning!!!
At this point we lost on of the people in our group, she head to head off to work, so we were down to three.
We then headed headed back to All Star Movies. My friend was running the Wine N Dine half and she wanted to grab a change of clothes for after the run. The we split up again! Two of us headed towards EPCOT! We did some shallow walking in the showcase not venturing past the first countries.
Then the two of us went our separate ways. She head off to the starting line and I made my way back towards the monorail resorts.
I stopped back by the Polynesian to visit some backstage friends and then took the boat over to Magic Kingdom.
I wandered around Mainstreet USA before finding my way back at the Haunted Mansion. At the exit i met up with one of my friends and then we ventured back towards EPCOT to catch my friend at the finish line of the Wine N Dine half. Storms in the area caused a delay in the run and they ended up shortening the course.
As she finished the run I realized two things, 1. how many people wear pink tank tops and 2. what a horrible photographer I am. We met back up with her and enjoyed a nice long sit while she re-energized. Then we headed into the after party. We didn't stick around for to long. I think we were all completely exhausted her rightfully more so!
We made it back to our room around 3-4 am I think it was, way to late!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter