All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

Hey Gina! I know you have been extraordinarily busy with many, many things, but how is your itinerary working out for May? I apologize if I missed your post laying it out. We MIGHT still be available for a DISMeet. My son is going to middle school grad night at Universal, but I think it is the week after your trip. We might still go down when you're there and do some other random Orlando thing (maybe Outta Control Magic Show).

Something tells me you usually have a strategy or two at the ready, just for "emergencies" such as these ;).
Of course.....in case of emergency break glass, pull out evil raccoon.

And lots of sunscreen. There are parts of the body that will be seeing sunshine for the first time in months :bitelip:.
Imagine the tan lines

I might need more than that. Although probably perfectly acceptable for grocery getting at WalMart on Sunday, I think that Disney parks requires "slightly" better attire than that!

th

Photographic proof that all you need to add is a pair of pants and it becomes very high class.

Personally, I prefer this style of mankini.....

th

it's much more formal.

Ah yes the Borat mankini! My poor eyes!

While humans pay for and live in house -I'd love to downsize our house but we have the perfect yard for my chickens, and gardens. Can't give that up!

Countdowns are getting so close now, my oldest DD and I just added a trip -we leave in 17 days. Can't believe we are doing this...

Hope Gina has a stress free move!

I
Hey everyone, just a quick note to check in and reassure you that all is well. We have an appointment this afternoon that we soon have to head out the door to make, but I wanted to at least drop in quickly and thank you for all the wonderful posts of support and encouragement. On an otherwise tough week, you have been a very bright spot in my life! Though I haven't had a chance yet to respond to each of you (hopefully that will happen later tonight), I've been reading each of your messages and even had a few folks reach out to me via Facebook messenger. I am reminded yet again of how many great friends I have here on the Dis! (and why I'm so glad to be back posting)

I am also happy to report that Gatorland will definitely be a go for May :thumbsup2 . If the addition of the Big Cats since our visit in 2012 combined with your wholehearted endorsement of that its still a worthy attraction to spend time at weren't convincing enough (which they were!), Steve forwarded me his monthly e-newsletter from Perks at Work yesterday and.......guess what ticket offer was on there? Yep, it was Gatorland :banana:. Admission at the gate is $29.99 each plus tax, admission through Undercover tourist is $26.65 each including tax, and Perks at Work is only $22.35 each, tax inclusive......so how can we say no? :confused3

It's nice to have something go right in the planning this week. Because while we had Jake's devastating news to absorb, I got a message a couple of days ago from our friends, Robin & Wayne, who were going to be joining us for our celebratory week in the sunny south:

They're not going :(. Our original party of 6 is now a party of 2.

The short reason: they can't afford to stay at the Vistana, and were unhappy that they'd be sleeping at one resort while we would be somewhere else. They also wanted to do two days at Disney, two days at Universal, a day at SeaWorld, etc. etc. and Steve and I wouldn't agree to join them at the other parks [it has always been our belief that for budgetary purposes, PICK YOUR PARK FAMILY and get a multi-day ticket to maximize your savings since the price-per-day goes down substantially the longer you are there]. They didn't feel it was worth it to spend the money to go if they weren't going to get as much time with us as they expected they would. I understand, of course, but it was just another slap on a week where it felt like nothing was going right.

Oh! And while on the topic of my crappy week, I topped it off this morning with a trip to the urgent care clinic......after 2 full months of battling this sinus infection/cold/whatever-the-heck-it-is, I finally caved and sought medical help: I could not stand the incessant coughing and mucous production for another day longer. I now have a big ol' box of steroids, a very expensive inhaler, and some over-the-counter accompaniments which a very kind doctor assures me will have me back to normal (whatever "normal" is at this point :rolleyes:) in just a few short days.

calgon-kidnappers-somebody-take-me-away-1ef89.png

This coming week will be better. Right? It's gotta be. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts :rolleyes1.

Anyhoo, I've got to run for now.....but hope to be back to answer all your posts later on this evening. Have a happy Saturday, y'all!
I just found your report, I haven't been on here much the past while. Sorry to hear of Jake's troubles. I know it must be heard being away from him. I can't wait to read more of your report.

Aaaaannndddd, we're off!

Be back in a week. Not so likely to post updates, decided not to take a computer this time, just my phone and tablet. But you never know, I might pop by if I have a few idle moments!

Hope your packing and prepping is going well Gina!
Safe drive my friend!!!!

Aaaaannndddd, we're off!

Be back in a week. Not so likely to post updates, decided not to take a computer this time, just my phone and tablet. But you never know, I might pop by if I have a few idle moments!

Have a great time :goodvibes

I'm a little late here, but Congrats on the new house! What a weight off your shoulders. I hope you have a snow blower - that's a mighty large driveway to shovel! LOL

Good luck with the packing and move. Although since you moved recently, you probably got all the junk out of the way in the first move. I cringe at the thought of moving from here one day, after so many years with kids, mess, dings in walls and floors, etc. Ugh.

Ha ha, a snowblower is going to be the first purchase we make after Halloween!! There's no way either of us are up for shoveling that ample-sized driveway. In our 30's, maybe....in our 40's? Nope :p.

We did manage to purge a lot of stuff the first time around, so this move is exceptionally easier in that regard. We've also made a conscious effort to accumulate less "stuff" over the past year, and live a bit more of a minimalist lifestyle. We do, however, have quite a bit of things we need to purchase for these larger digs, so I've spent a ton of time price-comparing online and looking for just the right washer, dryer, bedroom linens, living room furniture, etc. There's going to be a lot of shopping in my near future!!

I might need more than that. Although probably perfectly acceptable for grocery getting at WalMart on Sunday, I think that Disney parks requires "slightly" better attire than that!

Pictures? Sure!

Of me in a mankini? Not on your life!

Now at 8 days! :hourglass

ads to Toronto for T-Swift (I think?, maybe it was Demi Lovato?) DS is too busy with school; 2nd year Mech Eng at OttawaU. He just got back from Provincials last weekend (200 and 400m) and is feeling very behind on the school work now.

I'll try for an update or two if there is any down time, but there will be none in a Speedo. That would be exposing parts that haven't seen the light of day in decades, and I don't think they make enough sunscreen to cover all that!

I can't believe I didn't get back on the boards before you left to wish you a smashingly good trip :sad2:. Safe travels to you both, and enjoy every moment of sunshine and warmth!! :sunny:

Gina with everything going on you and Steve should be working up a great appetite for your Orlando food fest, sorry vacation..... hot donuts come to mind, milkshakes etc etc.....

Now does this mean that you actually own a mankini but you're just not willing to share ;)

Mmmm.....hot donuts :love:. You're making me want to make a Krispy Kreme run to Allen Park this weekend :o. I'm not sure I can wait until May! :rotfl:

Congrats on the new house! It sounds like a better fit for everyone and no sharing walls with anyone!

Nothing wrong with this, I promised Dude long ago that if we (err I) can ever afford to get our own place again I'll make sure it has sun for him to enjoy. Luckily mom's house does but not all year because of the trees. He's been able to enjoy more than a sliver the last few weeks, well when the sun's out and it's not raining since it is still Seattle :)

Only animal lovers can really understand that need to please our pets ::yes::. It's nice to know that others don't think I'm (completely) nuts! ;)

Hey Gina! I know you have been extraordinarily busy with many, many things, but how is your itinerary working out for May? I apologize if I missed your post laying it out. We MIGHT still be available for a DISMeet. My son is going to middle school grad night at Universal, but I think it is the week after your trip. We might still go down when you're there and do some other random Orlando thing (maybe Outta Control Magic Show).

How awesome!! I will keep my fingers crossed that the dates will work out.....it would be great to meet you guys in person! :banana:

Here's what we are looking at so far:

Friday, May 4th: travel day. Late afternoon arrival at MCO. Check in at SVR and enjoy the resort for the day.
Saturday, May 5th: resort day
Sunday, May 6th: resort day or *maybe* Gatorland
Monday, May 7th: SeaWorld
Tuesday, May 8th: Aquatica
Wednesday, May 9th: Resort Day
Thursday, May 10th: SeaWorld
Friday, May 11th: Discovery Cove
Saturday, May 12th: travel day home

We will also work in time at Disney Springs and likely Celebration (for Wonderland Cookie Dough!!) somewhere on our resort days.

Let me know what days you were thinking of. Maybe we can meet for dinner somewhere. 4 Rivers is one of our MUST DO's this time around!

Of course.....in case of emergency break glass, pull out evil raccoon.

Imagine the tan lines

th

Photographic proof that all you need to add is a pair of pants and it becomes very high class.

Personally, I prefer this style of mankini.....

th

it's much more formal.

I can't unsee that :crazy2:. I think my eyes are scarred :scared:.

Ah yes the Borat mankini! My poor eyes!

While humans pay for and live in house -I'd love to downsize our house but we have the perfect yard for my chickens, and gardens. Can't give that up!

Countdowns are getting so close now, my oldest DD and I just added a trip -we leave in 17 days. Can't believe we are doing this...

Hope Gina has a stress free move!

You must almost be down to the one week mark by now!! How exciting! :cool1:

Moving preparations are slowly getting done. It's a process. We take possession one week from Monday. I can hardly believe it!

I

I just found your report, I haven't been on here much the past while. Sorry to hear of Jake's troubles. I know it must be heard being away from him. I can't wait to read more of your report.

Hi dennise! Welcome aboard once again!! So great to have you along!

I am woefully behind on both trip reporting and planning due to our upcoming move (not anticipated when I kicked off this report in the New Year), so please bear with me. I will definitely try to update when I can :thumbsup2.

Aaaaannndddd, we're off!

Have-A-Great-Trip-Bon-Voyage-eCard.gif

May the weather be warm, the sun be bright, the crowds be low, and the good time plentiful!

Finally checking in with a long-overdue update. Let's just say its been a bit busy around here lately with our move racing up on us: we take possession of the house in exactly 9 days, and the movers are scheduled to be here to attend to the big stuff on March 23rd. We'll use those few days between the closing date and the moving date to clean and prep a few of the important rooms like the kitchen and baths. I have booked off the Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week from work, and Steve has also booked the Wednesday through Friday as vacation days. Jake is planning to come up that weekend too (weather permitting) and not only will it be awesome to see him :cloud9:, it will be great to have another strong guy around to help with some of the boxes.....AND he has a truck to help move some of the residual stuff that's not being handled by the moving company. We have our rental until the end of the month, so we'll be popping back there the following weekend (which is Easter) to make sure its left sparkling clean and ready for the next occupants. We are definitely not at a loss for things to do!

The cats have been "helping" me pack :rolleyes1. They're quite embracing the joy of the whole moving process.

28577248_10156565819126416_2335475895044001578_n.jpg

29066901_10156583309431416_3731666476660315647_n.jpg

I'm slowly working through the transfer of our utilities to the new house, address changes with all the entities that send us mail, and have finally got a start on purchasing some of the new things we need for our home. Last night, we managed to knock off the washer, dryer, lawn mower, trimmer, chainsaw (there's a few trees on the property that desperately need to go), outdoor string lights for our Florida room, and new bathroom linens (I may have bought cat towels for our downstairs bathroom :cat: ...... Violet and Dash made me do it :teeth:). This afternoon we plan to go shopping for living room furniture. Most of the other things I can order online next week and have them delivered right to the house so its less stuff to move from one place to the other.

In the midst of it all, we've slid into ......

back-to-the-50s.jpg

55 days to go, to be exact. It's a bit shocking. Time is going SO fast :eek:.

I have made a conscious effort to start readying ourselves for the trip, as I now April will be a total blur with getting settled into the house. I've been buying us both some new clothes and shoes, thanks to some amazing sales at Dick's and Kohl's (have I mentioned lately how much I love shopping here in the USA?) so we should be well dressed at the very least :rotfl:. I do still have to pick up the customary new socks and undies ... it's tradition, after all :blush: .... but those can be a more last minute purchase if necessary. I am a lot fussier about the stuff people CAN see than the stuff they can't :rotfl:.

One thing I was a bit sad about was that our current Pet Nanny (who we love) won't continue to look after the cats for us when we are away as our new location is outside of her territory. We are being reassigned to a new Nanny (a young lady who apparently adores cats) so our Florida trip will likely be our first experience with the new caregiver. I'd rather have tested her out on a more short-term getaway, but alas....it doesn't look like that will be the case unless we have to head back to Canada for reasons we are not expecting. We are both hoping she's as awesome as the last girl, and that our fretting will all be for naught. We hate to introduce new surroundings and a new Nanny to the cats in one blow, but we're all just going to have to do the best we can under the circumstances.

Lots of spring break travelers are either in Orlando now or will be on their way soon......its fun seeing everyone's updates and posts on Facebook. It's been a miserable winter here in the north so many of us are more than due for a healthy dose of sunshine and warmth. Hope everyone on this thread is doing well!

I will try to check back when I can. Please bear with me! :goodvibes

Those babies are always so cute! I love that they have a nanny. If feasible, you know I'd come stay with those furry cuties!
Kohls had some cute valentines day towels. They were cat themed and said I'd spend all 9 lives on you.

Hi Gina!

I have read your last few trip reports, and usually read quite a bit on the disboards, but as I am getting close in days to my own trip, I thought I should finally join in and say hello!

Your trips always seem like such a great mix of splurge and budgeted, new and old- it's always a great read!

Good luck with moving into the new house and hello to the kitties. :wave2:

I need to comment again; so it doesn't take me 15 years to find this thread. I can never seem to do so since it got moved to where ever this location is.

How awesome!! I will keep my fingers crossed that the dates will work out.....it would be great to meet you guys in person! :banana:

Here's what we are looking at so far:

Friday, May 4th: travel day. Late afternoon arrival at MCO. Check in at SVR and enjoy the resort for the day.
Saturday, May 5th: resort day
Sunday, May 6th: resort day or *maybe* Gatorland
Monday, May 7th: SeaWorld
Tuesday, May 8th: Aquatica
Wednesday, May 9th: Resort Day
Thursday, May 10th: SeaWorld
Friday, May 11th: Discovery Cove
Saturday, May 12th: travel day home

We will also work in time at Disney Springs and likely Celebration (for Wonderland Cookie Dough!!) somewhere on our resort days.

Let me know what days you were thinking of. Maybe we can meet for dinner somewhere. 4 Rivers is one of our MUST DO's this time around!
Hi Gina! I'm still not sure if we will be in Orlando that weekend, but I would say the probability is greater than 50 percent. I even made hotel reservations. Since you have resort days on the 5th and 6th, it should be pretty easy to meet. We will most likely be going to Sea World, but I'm thinking of buying Fun Passes, so we will have a lot of flexibility in our park day(s).

Hello Gina,

Congrats on the new home. I would be stressed out at thought of moving and planing this trip. You are a pro :worship:. We will be arriving at MCO on the 4th late evening and off to SRV. We are doing a resort day on the 5th after a grocery run. Maybe we will run into you. :dogdance:

Hi Gina, I have been a silent fan of your since I read your first trip report a few years ago! I am also Canadian, living in Northern Ontario and also travel with my husband to Orlando once a year and don't always partake in the Disney Parks. I have gotten so many great tips from you and love reading about your adventures especially since your move to the "other side of the boarder". What made me finally add a comment is I am just booking an unexpected trip to Orlando in October with my mom and my daughter, who will just have turned 19, and we will be staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort! So now I am going to reread all your reports with a new perspective! Good luck with your move and your new home looks lovely!

Hi Gina, I have been a silent fan of your since I read your first trip report a few years ago! I am also Canadian, living in Northern Ontario and also travel with my husband to Orlando once a year and don't always partake in the Disney Parks. I have gotten so many great tips from you and love reading about your adventures especially since your move to the "other side of the boarder". What made me finally add a comment is I am just booking an unexpected trip to Orlando in October with my mom and my daughter, who will just have turned 19, and we will be staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort! So now I am going to reread all your reports with a new perspective! Good luck with your move and your new home looks lovely!

I hope the packing is going well. We're down to 59 days til we arrive in Florida, 57 or 58 until we start the drive.

We just decided to camp for one night in the middle of the trip. We'll be at Fort Wilderness so more like camping probably. We'll be in the middle of our Mariott GRande Vista stay so if it rains we can bail and just stay in the time share that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter